Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Hotels with kitchens in NYC

Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:41 am
Original Poster

I want to go to New York for a week in the summer, around the end of July to early August.

We are trying to look for hotels with Kitchens and our budget is £1000 for the week. 4 star because we don't feel safe.

We've been looking around and the price is about £1400 which to me is a rediculous amount of money. Last summer we stayed on a golf resort in Florida for five weeks and it was £1500 for the whole thing in a townhouse with three beds. I would've though £1000 was well over enough for a week in a hotel room!!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: AC *P
Hotels with kitchens in nyc

Read the forum sticky. You are posting in the wrong forum.

Comparing FL to NYC is the same as comparing Manchester to central London.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: A3 Silver
Try airbnb
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Hotels with kitchens in nyc

Please stay in Florida.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pduck01
Please stay in Florida.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:08 am

What you paid in Florida is largely irrelevant to the New York hotel market. New York is more comparable to London or Paris than to Florida.

What does "4 star because we don't feel safe" mean? I can understand not wanting to stay at the Hotel Carter (google it), but you're much more likely to find kitchens or kitchenettes in mid-range 3-star type hotels (think Staybridge Suites, Hotel Beacon, etc.) than in 4-star hotels (unless you get a big suite at a 4-star, which is likely to cost closer to 1000GBP per night than per week), and I don't think you're any more likely to slip in the shower or get mugged in the elevator in a 3-star than a 4-star.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by pduck01
Please stay in Florida.

OP Its Manhattan. Just to let you know the room is going to be really small too
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
New York is EXPENSIVE full stop.

I suggest you should budget at least £200 - £225 per night (more if it is more that 2 people) for July / August. If you spend less then regard it as a bargain but equally expect to spend more.

On sites like Expedia you can filter to select 'apartments' or 'apart-hotels' rather than straight hotel rooms.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'feel safe'.

NYC is a pretty safe city these days and in my 15+ trips over the last 15 years I've never had any problems or felt unsafe. Yes it had a reputation (just like say Belfast) for being 'unsafe' but that was a long time ago.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
http://homewoodsuites3.hilton.com/en...MHW/index.html
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by themicah
What you paid in Florida is largely irrelevant to the New York hotel market. New York is more comparable to London or Paris than to Florida.

What does "4 star because we don't feel safe" mean? I can understand not wanting to stay at the Hotel Carter (google it), but you're much more likely to find kitchens or kitchenettes in mid-range 3-star type hotels (think Staybridge Suites, Hotel Beacon, etc.) than in 4-star hotels (unless you get a big suite at a 4-star, which is likely to cost closer to 1000GBP per night than per week), and I don't think you're any more likely to slip in the shower or get mugged in the elevator in a 3-star than a 4-star.
Well it is what I see as a good pricing standard.

I have looked at those hotels and I like the Staybridge but is £1600 for 7 nights and to me I just can't justify spending that amount of money for a hotel room. Its a bit of a rip off in my opinion.

The only hotel i've found that i've liked is the Mariott residence inn at the world trade centre and it is reasonable but I want to find other hotels so that I can get a second choice if need be.

If you paid £1,000 a night anywhere else you'd get a massive massive mansion.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska

Yes I seen that but its £1500.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Owenc
I want to go to New York for a week in the summer, around the end of July to early August.

We are trying to look for hotels with Kitchens and our budget is £1000 for the week. 4 star because we don't feel safe.

We've been looking around and the price is about £1400 which to me is a rediculous amount of money. Last summer we stayed on a golf resort in Florida for five weeks and it was £1500 for the whole thing in a townhouse with three beds. I would've though £1000 was well over enough for a week in a hotel room!!
This is NY, not FL, and the height of the tourist season.

You really don't need a 4* room to feel "safe." NYC is perfectly safe, particularly in the tourist areas in midtown.

But that also begs the question - why do you want to travel somewhere you don't feel safe and pay a premium for it?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
New York is EXPENSIVE full stop.

I suggest you should budget at least £200 - £225 per night (more if it is more that 2 people) for July / August. If you spend less then regard it as a bargain but equally expect to spend more.

On sites like Expedia you can filter to select 'apartments' or 'apart-hotels' rather than straight hotel rooms.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'feel safe'.

NYC is a pretty safe city these days and in my 15+ trips over the last 15 years I've never had any problems or felt unsafe. Yes it had a reputation (just like say Belfast) for being 'unsafe' but that was a long time ago.
Lol you see I was looking in dollars and I can have a place at $250 a night and taxes. I can't seem to find that..

We've never been before so we want a place that feels safe and is in an area with good amentities. I'm unsure to book on expedia incase they don't include taxes. Where I live when I pay the hotel bill online it is the final price and we aren't charged any hidden costs after.

Last edited by Owenc; Feb 26, 2015 at 1:39 pm
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
This is NY, not FL, and the height of the tourist season.

You really don't need a 4* room to feel "safe." NYC is perfectly safe, particularly in the tourist areas in midtown.

But that also begs the question - why do you want to travel somewhere you don't feel safe and pay a premium for it?
Well i'm not American and we'd be there ourselves so if something happened we'd have no one to call. We have been to America but its been gated communities and so obviously its safe.

We just need somewhere that has loads of tourists and has a kitchenette and is kind of modern and highish quality.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Owenc
Lol you see I was looking in dollars and I can have a place at $250 a night and taxes. I can't seem to find that..

We've never been before so we want a place that feels safe and is in an area with good amentities. I'm unsure to book on expedia incase they don't include taxes. Where I live when I pay the hotel bill online it is the final price and we aren't charged any hidden costs after.

Unless specifically stated Expedia prices do include taxes - and when I looked earlier on Expedia it was very clear if that was the case (or not). BTW this is the same with most on-line travel agencies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.