Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

10hr in EWR w/infant - lounge hopping options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold

10 hour layover scheduled in EWR later this year, with wife + 6month old.

I have UC membership, flying in Y (probably) TATL flight on UA.

Is SK the only other *A lounge we can access? Will this be possible in reality, rather than theory?

With 10 hours to kill, might want to explore a little No desire to visit NYC. Other than lounge visiting, anything else 'fun' to do at EWR?

If we are in J does anything change for lounge access?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:26 am
RNE

Few infants will find a lounge very enjoyable—though many lounge guests are infantile. For the sake of all concerned, you'd do better to find a play area at the airport and camp out there for the duration.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:26 am

Newark ironbound section has great Portugese restaurants, might want to eat there
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Newark ironbound section has great Portugese restaurants, might want to eat there
hadn't thought of that at all. Not familiar with Newark (the city) so will check out the options.

Thanks..
Old Oct 25, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Terminal B access: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...al-flight.html

There is a smallish sized family room in the large United Club towards gate C120 in terminal C. It has doors you can close and would be a place to camp out if the baby gets restless.

Jersey Gardens outlet mall is about 5 minutes away and you can take a pay shuttle bus from monorail stop P4: http://www.jerseygardens.com/info/information

SunLover
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Have you looked at prices of any of the hotels in the area? Maybe can arrange for an early check in/out day use rate?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Have you looked at prices of any of the hotels in the area? Maybe can arrange for an early check in/out day use rate?
I was going to recommend this - the Marriott is onsite at the airport and it has a pool / fitness center although at 6 months probably not needed. You will likely be quite tired - having a room might be a nice break for all of you... There really is no good long term area at EWR - this is where ORD is actually much better - but again at 6 months old not much they can do but eat, sleep, and cry...
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I was going to recommend this - the Marriott is onsite at the airport and it has a pool / fitness center although at 6 months probably not needed. You will likely be quite tired - having a room might be a nice break for all of you... There really is no good long term area at EWR - this is where ORD is actually much better - but again at 6 months old not much they can do but eat, sleep, and cry...
just booked a room at the Marriott - great idea.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by lhrpitlhr
just booked a room at the Marriott - great idea.
It's a decent hotel for an airport.... Unfortunately I've spent many nights there! Also a good backup if something goes wrong on the connection...

Safe travels!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
If you're on UA, then you're in Terminal C. The child area is right next to the C2/3 UC. The SK lounge is inaccessible as it's in Terminal B.

Getting to Jersey Gardens isn't so far - but it's a really large shopping mall. Unless you have needs/plans/enjoy shopping for a while (it is cheaper), that will get old quickly and can be annoying with a baby.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Gold
You made the best choice. Honestly, with a 6month old there's no point in a germ-y play area. A little privacy, a nap, a swim or workout and a meal and you'll be much more comfortable.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Gold
BTW - before recommending Jersey Gardens I'd recommend The Mall at Short Hills. A straight shot west on 78/24 - less than 15 minutes, easily Uber-able and MUCH nicer than Jersey Gardens. It's still a mall though and you made a better choice.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
If the weather is nice, it's pretty easy to take a train into Manhattan and enjoy the City.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by elynchking
BTW - before recommending Jersey Gardens I'd recommend The Mall at Short Hills. A straight shot west on 78/24 - less than 15 minutes, easily Uber-able and MUCH nicer than Jersey Gardens. It's still a mall though and you made a better choice.
Certainly nicer (especially outside) and around the holidays, Chase has their lounge there which you can access for free with a Chase UA credit card.

But not much to do there either - at least Jersey Gardens is outlets
Old Oct 25, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by elynchking
Originally Posted by mre5765
If the weather is nice, it's pretty easy to take a train into Manhattan and enjoy the City.
But when toting around a 6 month old child?

I think Mommy & Daddy would be happy to have a bed and private room at the hotel for a few hours to rest up and then can take turns at the pool (assuming indoor at the Marriot), gym, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.