Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Newark Hotels Question

Newark Hotels Question

Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Newark Hotels Question

I am flying into EWR in October arriving in the evening (scheduled to be 787) and will then hit the road (either tarmac or rail- not sure which yet) the following day.

I had planned to travel into New York City to spend the night, but I won't have any time to enjoy the city so, on reflection, it seems an unnecessary complication and expense, and I have instead decided to spend the night in the vicinity of EWR. There appear to be a whole range of hotels but I was hoping the ever helpful FT community might be able to reccomend/warn me off certain ones.

Any advice gratefully received.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
I just did the same last month, but with trekking down to the hotel shuttle pit and waiting for the shuttle, it took almost an hour to get to the hotel after getting out of the airport, even though it was the Hilton EWR. It would have been almost just as fast to go into NYC. That being said, the Hilton was fine, and room service was open late.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:12 am

stayed in the Hilton several years ago and it was fine.

I think that the closest to the Terminal is the Marriott. It is a walkable distance but whether it is easily walkable in practice don;t know.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Hilton EWR just redid some rooms in 2012. We've stayed there twice since the remodel and it's pretty nice for an airport hotel.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:38 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
I stayed at the Hilton EWR a few weeks ago.
Was fine

Link to my photos and quick review:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23298591-post98.html

I got $105 for the night.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Marriott you can almost walk to, as it;st just the other side of the car park. I can't imagine their shuttle bus would take very long.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, A3 Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
Newark Hotels Question

IME it's quicker to get from the airport to the Hilton Newark Penn Station than the Hilton EWR. The shuttle to the airport hotel can take forever.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, lots of random hotel schemes...
Originally Posted by Tim1975
stayed in the Hilton several years ago and it was fine.

I think that the closest to the Terminal is the Marriott. It is a walkable distance but whether it is easily walkable in practice don;t know.
Last time I did this, I kicked myself for not booking the Marriott as it at least _looks_ walkable. Hilton took me best part of an hour via the shuttle bus terminal. Might have been less hassle if I'd got a cab... (other than the abuse I may have got for requesting such a short ride)
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by pianotraveller
IME it's quicker to get from the airport to the Hilton Newark Penn Station than the Hilton EWR. The shuttle to the airport hotel can take forever.
If NJ Transit plays along, which is far from guaranteed
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:25 am

I stayed at the Marriott after arriving on the BA187. Virtually no queue at immigration and was in my room in less than 30 minutes. I walked across the parking lot and skipped over one small barrier. Admittedly I only had hand luggage though. Might not be so easy with cases. Hotel was fine for an overnight and handy to get back to the terminal for onward travel the next morning.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
For housekeeping purposes, I'm going to auto-forward the thread to the NYC (area) forum.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by csutter
Originally Posted by pianotraveller
If NJ Transit plays along, which is far from guaranteed
Are you talking about NJ Transit rail or NJ Transit bus? The #62 bus runs from EWR to Newark Penn Station.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I spent two nights at the Hilton Newark Penn Station back in June and the hotel is a bit of a dump. It's in my opinion the worst full service Hilton in the US. The shuttle can be infrequent and if you arrive late, you might not get the room you reserved (this happened to me). Still, for just one night it's fine enough, just have low standards.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23038678-post68.html
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:40 pm

Hi there, any recommendations for a good, decent hotel at Newark airport?

Originally Posted by CMK10
I spent two nights at the Hilton Newark Penn Station back in June and the hotel is a bit of a dump. It's in my opinion the worst full service Hilton in the US. The shuttle can be infrequent and if you arrive late, you might not get the room you reserved (this happened to me). Still, for just one night it's fine enough, just have low standards.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23038678-post68.html
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:21 am

The EWR marriott is really the easiest option. Very close to the terminal and rooms are decent. Although typically more expensive than other hotels in the area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.