Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Pulaski Skyway Shutdown - At least a 2 year "traffic nightmare" to Holland Tunnel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pulaski Skyway Shutdown - At least a 2 year "traffic nightmare" to Holland Tunnel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Exclamation Pulaski Skyway Shutdown - At least a 2 year "traffic nightmare" to Holland Tunnel

The first two years at least is the closure of northbound lanes starting April 12. Traffic will be diverted to 78 East (NJ Turnpike) and the 1 & 9 truck route. Traffic to the Holland Tunnel will be pretty bad. Just a heads up.

Pulaski Skyway shutdown: Two-year traffic nightmare to begin April 12
The historic but decaying 82-year-old bridge that stretches from Newark to Jersey City will be closed northbound toward New York for up to two years while it undergoes a major rehabilitation.

The southbound lanes from New York to New Jersey will remain open during those 24 months.

Motorists have already dubbed it "carmageddon," and the state’s top transportation official said he is getting very little sleep over the prospects of having to detour 34,000 vehicles a day....
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._april_12.html
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:08 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Are they only going to repair half the Skyway? I'm guessing, when this project is completed, they'll have to close the southbound lanes for similar repairs.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
It will FORCE many travelers to EWR to/from NYC on public transportation (which isn't as fast but more economical and better for our planet).

I can't imagine the horrors at Tonnelle Circle as dashboard GPS/navigation systems melt down trying to figure out how to navigate the maze.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by nrr
Are they only going to repair half the Skyway? I'm guessing, when this project is completed, they'll have to close the southbound lanes for similar repairs.
My guess is that once they're done repairing half, they'll shift the southbound traffic to the newly repaired lanes so they can repair the other half. That way they only need one diversion/detour plan for the whole project. Hopefully they can repair the whole thing in the 2 years, although I'll bet it takes at least 3.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The additional lane on the turnpike extension opened this week in anticipation of the shutdown.

I am dreading this, but am hopeful that they will lengthen the traffic light at Jersey Ave and people will be able to move through a bit more quickly and into the tunnel.

Short of that, I'm prepared to quit my job if necessary. No, I'm not kidding.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Short of that, I'm prepared to quit my job if necessary. No, I'm not kidding.
Really?? I thought you telecommuted.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:12 pm

One day a week. But, yes, really, I will resign if my commute is made any longer than it already is.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:57 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Would the Turnpike to 495 and the Lincoln Tunnel be a reasonable alternate driving route from EWR to lower Manhattan?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:59 am

No, that is a nightmare all by itself during rush hour.... The Holland tunnel is not nearly as busy. We tried the Lincoln for about 2 weeks and gave up. It's not quite as bad during the evening though.

Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 7:04 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Sorry, I was being selfish and thinking about myself

My next EWR arrival is at the end of the month; luckily, most (if not all) of my EWR arrivals are on Sunday afternoon/evenings so I don't have to deal with rush hour. I'd be happy to go a little out of my way if it meant not having to deal with any drama trying to get to the Holland.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 7:09 am

No need to apologize. You were trying to help ^^

If you can believe it, as a general rule, the Holland is better inbound to NYC during morning rush hour, and often other times too, and the Lincoln is better outbound from NYC during evening rush hour. It's suicide to try to use the Lincoln to NYC in the late afternoon. I made that 2-hour mistake once and won't repeat it.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Would the Turnpike to 495 and the Lincoln Tunnel be a reasonable alternate driving route from EWR to lower Manhattan?
Unless the Turnpike to the Holland Tunnel is completely jammed, it's unlikely to be quicker to go all the way up to the Lincoln Tunnel and then come all the way back down again.

But if you have a smartphone, fire up Waze or Google Maps when you land and see what route it recommends. Both apps (Waze is owned by Google but has a different interface) do a pretty good job of factoring in current traffic conditions.

The Pulaski Skyway isn't the only route to the Holland Tunnel from EWR. It's the preferred route because it's very direct and toll-free. But aside from the toll, the Turnpike is roughly the same.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:38 am

Well, knock me over with a feather... I just got an email from the NJ Dept of Transportation advising/reminding me the skyway is closing and offered alternates and links.

I don't know where they got my email address, perhaps tax returns or from when I collected unemployment insurance, but I'm shocked they would send emails, potentially, to everyone in the state.

It won't help matters though. I expect a 4 hour commute to work on Monday

I've updated my resume and sent it to all my contacts
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:14 am
Original Poster

We'll be heading back into Manhattan late Monday evening via the Holland Tunnel. Hopefully traffic won't be too bad after 10:30pm.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
It won't help matters though. I expect a 4 hour commute to work on Monday
Yuck. No access by train?
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:17 am

There is access by train. I would have to get up earlier, and leave home by 6am. Under normal circumstances, because I have to drive 30 minutes to the train, and then take a subway AND walk for about 20-30 minutes, on top of the 1 hour train ride, resigning is the better choice. I will not commute any longer than I do now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.