Wiki Posts
Search

NY Governor Calls New York City Airports 'Inexcusable', Hints at Fix

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:21 pm
Used to be 'FTcadence'
Original Poster

NY Governor Calls New York City Airports 'Inexcusable', Hints at Fix

Discussing infrastructure improvements made after Superstorm Sandy, Gov. Andrew Cuomo delivered a blistering critique Tuesday of New York's airports, many of which sustained heavy flooding during the 2012 hurricane.
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...GS04/140109919

Between this and the recent delays/cancellations of thousands of flights, NYC airports aren't getting much good press.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ing-helps.html I will move this to the appropriate destination forum while leaving a permanent re-direct in Travel News.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ing-helps.html I will move this to the appropriate destination forum while leaving a permanent re-direct in Travel News.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
The NYC area airports are hubs for all 3 majors, as well as B6, and have significant throughput from several other carriers. Considering this, I'm not certain the issue raised by TravelingPeanut can be narrowed down to only "Destination" related.

This is a far reaching (global?) issue for anyone traveling through, not just to, any of these hubs.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
He is right. They are notorious pits and we here on FT all know it.

EWR is marginally better, at some terminals, if only because it's been redeveloped on a larger scale more recently. But still.

Then, we have LGA and JFK...

JFK. Pigeons pooping on our heads in the terminals... "Welcome to the USA and NYC!" Or better, "Fuhgeddaboudit." The Eero Sarinen style would work better if it were at least preserved, or functional, or not full of Queens wildlife hazard.

As for LGA, here we have luggage reclaim area ceilings so low and likely so full of asbestos that they will require EPA Superfund designation before renewal can even begin.....
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat4Life 3.9mm, UA, BA, Intergalactic Spacelines
All three NY city airports should be bulldozed and start from scratch.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Originally Posted by Git-er-dun
All three NY city airports should be bulldozed and start from scratch.
...though I wouldn't recommend bulldozing all three at the same time.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
They could have demolished that Yellow Beast near the NJ turnpike, could have landed RJ's, 737's etc.. and take the train into the Newark International airport..
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Would NY state residents be interested in lending the Governor to go to YYZ to straighten some backbones? It seems he's the only government official in North America acting like a leader. I bet the Toronto locals would gladly offer up the Toronto mayor, a few cases of beer and a signed Celine Dion photo in exchange. You could even keep the mayor.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Cuomo didn't elaborate why the airports are "inexcusable". Is that because he is afraid of offending the radical environmentalists whose concern is geese and not passengers? I wish Cuomo luck! He'll need it given how radical these environmentalists are.

Last edited by dstan; Jan 12, 2014 at 2:34 pm Reason: redacted meta comment
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by Analise
Cuomo didn't elaborate why the airports are "inexcusable". Is that because he is afraid of offending the radical environmentalists whose concern is geese and not passengers? I wish Cuomo luck! He'll need it given how radical these environmentalists are.
He doesn't need to elaborate because any New Yorker, or frankly anybody, who has stepped foot in either Laguardia or JFK knows they are absolute pits. JFK is frankly an old world airport and it is sad that it is the key international gateway to New York City.

Last edited by dstan; Jan 12, 2014 at 2:34 pm Reason: redacted quote of deleted material
Old Jan 8, 2014, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Inexcusable but where does the money come to build new airports. The other issue is that the airport are owned by the wildly dysfunctional bi state agency, The Port Authority. The PA plans to build a new CT at LGA by 2018 but just look how long it took to get the JFK Airtrain in operation. Probably more like 2020 or later.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis Pres
Originally Posted by Zomba
...though I wouldn't recommend bulldozing all three at the same time.

And build two temporary runways in Central Park to help with the overflow during the renovations. Think of the jobs!
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Easier to critique vs. make change to a functional airport.

If we look at the highly efficient German counterparts and the PR/project disaster of the delayed state of the age Berlin airport. I am doubtful NYC or carriers can endure reduced traffic or functionality for long term improvements.

Only space ready recommendation - build a high speed underwater rail to Staten (not sure Governors is big enough) Island and build the most impressive airport known to man. Of course, Port Authority would have to approve but that is the only space available in the five boroughs.
JFK is only airport with multiple terminals and space to rebuild a terminal or runway without impact to other functions.
LGA & EWR operating on primarily two runways and three separate terminal buildings is what it is (unless they move Rikers or parking at EWR).

Last edited by RooseveltL; Jan 8, 2014 at 9:06 am
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
LaGuardia is my favorite U.S. airport. Which is not to say that I wouldn't love a shiny new airport. But the existing facility does everything I need it to do. It's close to the city, it's a manageable size, and it allows me easily and efficiently to get from my home or office and onto an airplane, and vice versa. If a new airport means doing what they did in Denver -- spent a kazillion dollars to move a great, small, close-to-the city airport to a giant shrine to politicians' egos light years away from the city it purports to serve -- I am vehemently opposed.

Originally Posted by Analise
There are legitimate environmental concerns that need to be addressed in any project of this magnitude, but it doesn't need to become an OMNI-worthy conversation unless you decide to turn it into one.

Last edited by dstan; Jan 12, 2014 at 2:35 pm Reason: redacted quote of deleted material
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
So it sounds like the Governor isn't too happy with what HIS appointments to the Port Authority are doing whilst Christie's are too busy closing roads for so called 'traffic studies'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.