FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   Traffic in and around NYC on Feb. 2 Super Bowl (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1534287-traffic-around-nyc-feb-2-super-bowl.html)

nrr Dec 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Traffic in and around NYC on Feb. 2 Super Bowl

Lots of people going to the SB will be "tourist = non-locals", which will probably cause a more than normal mess (traffic wise). Does anyone know what they officially expect.
In another thread in this forum (about getting to LGA), evolved into problems of getting to the Meadowland (=Met Life) Stadium on a (normal) football Sunday.
Two side observations:
Back in 2009 I was returning by bus from Atlantic City, busses were an hour or more off schedule--the driver claimed it was traffic getting to a Saturday World Series game--all highways (NJ Tpke, GSP) were backed up.
There were plans to build a stadium on the west side of Manhattan in the 30's, right now traffic in and out of Manhattan's Lincoln Tunnel is at near gridlock on Sunday afternoons--if that stadium were to have been built, I envision people getting in and out of NY by Midnight:D.

SJC AA Dec 25, 2013 2:46 pm

They're doing reserved lanes for chartered buses (open to the public but expensive).

I would not even think about driving anywhere in Northern NJ or Manhattan that day.

nrr Dec 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by SJC AA (Post 22026022)
They're doing reserved lanes for chartered buses (open to the public but expensive).

I would not even think about driving anywhere in Northern NJ or Manhattan that day.

If one is paying $5000 for a ticket--an "expensive" bus ride is probably "cheap".

M60_to_LGA Dec 25, 2013 3:11 pm

Not being a sports fan, I honestly had no idea this was even happening in NY this year.

I may go work in my DC office that week... ugh, no interest in dealing with that mess.

The only saving grace is that hopefully most of these people will be staying somewhere in Jersey.

RooseveltL Dec 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Just a hypothesis. I don't it will be any worst vs. any other game. Even though it is the SuperBowl - the stadium still has a max of capacity which it typically encounters during sold-out games.

I would hope many of the tourist/guest are taking public transportation (as there won't be any local teams) and unlike regular season ticket holders will try to get to stadium to watch the game as they will be freezing. I would even debate traffic might be improved vs. regular Sunday (as everyone is watching game or avoiding northern NJ).

Rt 3, Lincoln, GWB, NJT (exit 14 North) should be avoided (ALL DAY SUNDAY) but outside of increased media crews I would put it in the same category as NYC Marathon - many/most of the guest stay in Manhattan and use public transportation around town. One advantage the game starts in evening - so long afternoon/day for all attendees to get to the stadium.

nrr Dec 26, 2013 7:03 am

Originally Posted by RooseveltL (Post 22026127)
Just a hypothesis. I don't it will be any worst vs. any other game. Even though it is the SuperBowl - the stadium still has a max of capacity which it typically encounters during sold-out games.

I would hope many of the tourist/guest are taking public transportation (as there won't be any local teams) and unlike regular season ticket holders will try to get to stadium to watch the game as they will be freezing. I would even debate traffic might be improved vs. regular Sunday (as everyone is watching game or avoiding northern NJ).

Rt 3, Lincoln, GWB, NJT (exit 14 North) should be avoided (ALL DAY SUNDAY) but outside of increased media crews I would put it in the same category as NYC Marathon - many/most of the guest stay in Manhattan and use public transportation around town. One advantage the game starts in evening - so long afternoon/day for all attendees to get to the stadium.

I noted (above) that due to a Yankee World Series game in 2009, traffic as far away as Atlantic City was affected (at least the bus drive said so:))--maybe they didn't plan for a traffic mess then. Presumably things are being planned better for SB.

Analise Dec 26, 2013 3:51 pm

Given that the Port Authority royally screwed up the maintenance of the GWB creating rampant lane closures, expect traffic to be even that much more of a nightmare.

peersteve Dec 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 22031361)
Given that the Port Authority royally screwed up the maintenance of the GWB creating rampant lane closures, expect traffic to be even that much more of a nightmare.

....you're so right....the Super Bowl traffic & logistics will be the first big test of whether Chris Christie and Bill DeBlasio can co-operate on anything, and whether either of them has influence on the PA......

.......thought I heard Olbermann say that at least half the stadium crowd was having their private planes land at Teterboro

Analise Dec 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by peersteve (Post 22032175)
....you're so right....the Super Bowl traffic & logistics will be the first big test of whether Chris Christie and Bill DeBlasio can co-operate on anything, and whether either of them has influence on the PA......

DeBlasio doesn't. Andrew Cuomo does.

.......thought I heard Olbermann say that at least half the stadium crowd was having their private planes land at Teterboro
If they are all arriving on Sunday and thus skipping all of the week's worth of partying in Manhattan (particularly Saturday night), then they won't have to deal with the GWB. :D

RooseveltL Dec 26, 2013 10:10 pm

I can't speak for World Series as I've driven by Yankee Stadium for numerous sold-out games and one avoids GWB, I95 at all cost. Not sure how it impacts Atlantic City.

As other have mention the GWB emergency constructions and lane closures have been a nightmare the past month causing 4+ hr delays in I95 Southbound from CT and a few accidents and viola! I think Queensboro/59th St (aka Ed Koch) bridge had truck fire shutting it down last Fall. NYC/NJ is very sensitive to any hiccup (weather, emergency repair) but even ton a Sunday evening shouldn't be horrible.

I still theorize on SuperBowl Sunday no net increase in traffic. Increased tourist/vans/shuttles to stadium and reduction in local residents on the road or shopping wishing to avoid all the hoopla (who would otherwise commute at that hour/time). I think at the end of the game will be the worst traffic moment as everyone hits the road (whether exiting MetLife, leaving SuperBowl party or getting off shift at restaurant/bar). I would also avoid flying out Monday or Tuesday afterwards as NYC airports don't have space for the non-rush crowds.

Mary2e Dec 27, 2013 8:46 am

Arghhhhh... I thought the super bowl was the last weekend in Jan (I'm football illiterate) and made reservations in Newport for the following weekend. That means I'll have to drive home on Sunday :( :( :(

I am dreading getting past the stadium on any road that day.

Letitride3c Dec 27, 2013 9:07 am

As usual, FAA will impose special air traffic management during the week (before & after) and of course, during game times for the upcoming Super Bowl - no fly zones will be established & general aviation will be closely regulated as well - http://www.nbaa.org/ops/airspace/regional/super-bowl/

Not that we like EWR, avoid and re-route to JFK or LGA if possible flying thru this region. We are just going to avoid all those frozen zones & stay put on Sunday by partying at home - most of the "actions" are on the Jersey side, radiating out ...

And, of course, being winter - the odds of Mother Nature conspiring for a blizzard for the area would be a nightmare ... however low, or a tractor trailer hauling a hazmat load to spill nearby :rolleyes:

Analise Dec 27, 2013 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Letitride3c (Post 22034911)
And, of course, being winter - the odds of Mother Nature conspiring for a blizzard for the area would be a nightmare

If there is a massive snow storm lurking, they'll move the date of the football game.

RooseveltL Dec 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 22035924)
If there is a massive snow storm lurking, they'll move the date of the football game.

I don't know about that one - of course we are theorizing and can't predict weather but recall Houston (or was it Dallas) had a bad storm prior to a SuperBowl a few years back. This was after difficulty for a lot of guest to fly down in the days prior.

I want to mention another comment - the World Series can never compare to the SuperBowl as the WS can conflict with normal workday commute. The SuperBowl is a Sunday evening (low point of traffic).

Out of my Element Dec 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e (Post 22034796)
Arghhhhh... I thought the super bowl was the last weekend in Jan (I'm football illiterate) and made reservations in Newport for the following weekend. That means I'll have to drive home on Sunday :( :( :(

I am dreading getting past the stadium on any road that day.

if you have to go past there, aim to go past there during the game (2nd quarter or halftime) when everyone heading to the game is there, and no one has started to leave yet.