Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK terminal 4 access with terminal 8 boarding pass

Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:14 am
Original Poster

I'm landing into terminal 8 at JFK and have around seven hours layover. If I can't make it into Manhattan I could potentially use the Oasis Lounge with my Diners Club card, however I'm not sure if I can even reach it since I will have a boarding pass for my onward flight out of terminal 8. So my question is, can I get airside in terminal 4 with a terminal 8 boarding pass?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by zfind
I'm landing into terminal 8 at JFK and have around seven hours layover. If I can't make it into Manhattan I could potentially use the Oasis Lounge with my Diners Club card, however I'm not sure if I can even reach it since I will have a boarding pass for my onward flight out of terminal 8. So my question is, can I get airside in terminal 4 with a terminal 8 boarding pass?
From what I am reading on the web this lounge is landside.
Doesn't get good reviews though. I would just fork over the money and go to the Admirals Club(s) in T-8 rather than having to take the train to T4, then back, and have to reclear security.

As with everything, YMMV.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Gamecock
From what I am reading on the web this lounge is landside.
Doesn't get good reviews though. I would just fork over the money and go to the Admirals Club(s) in T-8 rather than having to take the train to T4, then back, and have to reclear security.

As with everything, YMMV.
It was landside, but with the redevelopment of T4, it's now airside.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money to access the AC, but then again, I think lounge day passes (and even memberships) are ridiculously overpriced for what you get. If the domestic clubs were like even overseas business lounges, then maybe they'd be worth the ~$50 admission fees (but even then, it'd be a stretch), but with the lack of anything edible/drinkable for free and what they charge for food and drinks in the domestic clubs, I often skip them even though I can get in them for free. Take your $50, put half of it back in your wallet, and grab a seat at a restaurant or bar.

I visited the new Oasis lounge on a recent Copa departure and don't think it's all that bad at all--certainly better than the mainline U.S. airline domestic clubs. They have reasonable drinks and snacks that are at least edible (little sandwich wraps and things). The trouble is how to get behind security at T4....at least with DL flying domestic flights out of T4 now, you can book a fake, refundable domestic DL ticket to get through security and then cancel it, but that's not something you want to do regularly. Supposedly TSA's official policy (it's somewhere in writing on FlyerTalk) is that any ticket is valid for any terminal at a given airport, so conceivably, you should be able to get through the T4 checkpoint with your T8 BP and TSA won't try to stop you (other than advising you you're probably in the wrong place), but I haven't tested that myself yet to confirm.

That said, seven hours is more than enough to head into the city and is certainly a better option than sitting in a lounge for that length of time (and definitely a better option than paying $50 to sit in a mediocre lounge for that length of time). Even if you're a cheapskate like me and take the long way into the city (an hour or so by subway), you can still enjoy 3-4 hours of sightseeing with time to spare.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by jackal
Thanks.

I looked and couldn't find anything written after Feb 2013.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Thanks.

I looked and couldn't find anything written after Feb 2013.
I was there in May 2013, and I think T4 had *just* been reopened (IIRC, the new T4 DL SkyClub with the outdoor deck had just been opened a few days before my departure or something). Not sure at which point the Oasis lounge was moved post-security, but I suspect it happened around the same time as all the DL renovations were going on.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money to access the AC, but then again, I think lounge day passes (and even memberships) are ridiculously overpriced for what you get. If the domestic clubs were like even overseas business lounges, then maybe they'd be worth the ~$50 admission fees (but even then, it'd be a stretch), but with the lack of anything edible/drinkable for free and what they charge for food and drinks in the domestic clubs, I often skip them even though I can get in them for free. Take your $50, put half of it back in your wallet, and grab a seat at a restaurant or bar.

I visited the new Oasis lounge on a recent Copa departure and don't think it's all that bad at all--certainly better than the mainline U.S. airline domestic clubs. They have reasonable drinks and snacks that are at least edible (little sandwich wraps and things). The trouble is how to get behind security at T4....at least with DL flying domestic flights out of T4 now, you can book a fake, refundable domestic DL ticket to get through security and then cancel it, but that's not something you want to do regularly. Supposedly TSA's official policy (it's somewhere in writing on FlyerTalk) is that any ticket is valid for any terminal at a given airport, so conceivably, you should be able to get through the T4 checkpoint with your T8 BP and TSA won't try to stop you (other than advising you you're probably in the wrong place), but I haven't tested that myself yet to confirm.

That said, seven hours is more than enough to head into the city and is certainly a better option than sitting in a lounge for that length of time (and definitely a better option than paying $50 to sit in a mediocre lounge for that length of time). Even if you're a cheapskate like me and take the long way into the city (an hour or so by subway), you can still enjoy 3-4 hours of sightseeing with time to spare.
So I could try for the lounge; I fear however that the time wasted attempting it, should it not pay off, would eat too far into NYC time to make it worthwhile, then I'm stuck in the most boring airport around! I think I'll just attempt the NYC trip, if worse comes to worst I'll jump back onto the train head back but short of a catastrophe, I think I can make it. Thanks for the help clearing this up, I really appreciate it.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
Has anyone had success accessing Terminal 4 recently with a different terminal boarding pass? I used to go to the Swiss Airlines (*G) lounge when flying United, but it looks a lot more difficult ever since DL played around with the configuration.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: MANY
Originally Posted by TakeTheATrain
Has anyone had success accessing Terminal 4 recently with a different terminal boarding pass? I used to go to the Swiss Airlines (*G) lounge when flying United, but it looks a lot more difficult ever since DL played around with the configuration.
Has anyone had experience recently regarding this? I will be flying AA (assuming terminal 8), but would like to access the Wingtips Lounge. Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Seven hours? Hello Midtown...
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
...a blast from the past.

I did this last fall with a 6 hour layover. Went into Manhattan and met up with an FTer for a late lunch- rooftop pizza & wine... was epic!

I did have to pay close attention to the time, as delays can occur on the subway.

Since this is about NYC, we're going to relocate the post.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by double_black77
Has anyone had experience recently regarding this? I will be flying AA (assuming terminal 8), but would like to access the Wingtips Lounge. Thanks.
Note that Wingtips seems to now be restricting admission during certain hours for those with "network" cards (presumably as opposed to airline invitations).
Old Mar 18, 2016, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Seven hours? Hello Midtown...
Unlike the OP, I do not have seven hours. The original question remains: would TSA let me enter terminal 4 with a same-day boarding pass for a different terminal?
Old Mar 19, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by double_black77
Unlike the OP, I do not have seven hours. The original question remains: would TSA let me enter terminal 4 with a same-day boarding pass for a different terminal?
From what I know there is no similar policy to what LAX has, enter any terminal with any same-day boarding pass. The TSA-agent will probably tell you that you are in the wrong terminal. You could try telling them that it shouldn't make a difference.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:36 pm

YMMV, but I had no issue getting pass JFK Terminal 4 TSA with my AA Terminal 8 boarding pass. Also I entered the WingTips Lounge with Priority Pass without any problem. There were only 7 other passengers in the lounge at the time.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
From what I know there is no similar policy to what LAX has, enter any terminal with any same-day boarding pass. The TSA-agent will probably tell you that you are in the wrong terminal. You could try telling them that it shouldn't make a difference.
It has been confirmed by TSA sources that TSA has no policy restricting terminal access by departure terminal. At any airport in the US, you may access any terminal with a same-day boarding pass for that airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.