Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Cabs at JFK Kiss and Ride / Airtrain station Lefferts Blvd?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes

Last time, arriving at JFK and going to a Brooklyn station along subway line 3, I took the B15 bus to New Lots Avenue. This time I will be travelling with my +1 and it will probably be late/dark, so I was wondering that, in case we just miss a bus, are there cabs/taxis waiting there for passengers? I mean considering it is about 5 miles shorter than the terminals, people would use this airtrain station to "kiss the cab driver" goodbye or hello - thus saving 10 bucks compared to taking the cab to/from the terminal (which might be congested to begin with...). Is this doable?
Is the B15 bus save even in the late pm hours, or would it be saver to take the A-train from Howard Beach and change twice...

Last edited by mith; Mar 11, 2013 at 6:41 am
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
How late are you +1 arriving @JFK as it sounded like you are traveling light and trying to save a few dollars? You can check the scheduled services for the B15 and use the online trip planner at mta.gov to look at your options, plus any late night maintenance or changes just prior to your arrival.

The Lefferts Blvd AirTrain station, AFAIK, is used mostly for long-term and airline/airport employee parking with no other services, and there is no taxi stand - it's basically in the middle of nowhere. You could probably call for & wait for a neighborhood car service to come & pickup - personally, I would just go to Howard Beach for the A train. These long-term lots can be pretty quiet in the evening hours and like the buses & subway (as in any major U.S. cities) are relatively safe - just a matter of using your common sense & being street-wise in keeping your valuables, iPhone/iPads, etc. out of sight as you navigate around.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
B15 bus is safe.. The neighborhoods is drives through are not always safe. The bigger issue is when you get off the bus with luggage and unfamiliar with your surroundings late night depending on your destination. BedStuy is safer vs. East NY or Brownsville!

Cab fare from JFK to Brooklyn is about $25 (well maybe more) so unless cost is a big factor a YELLOW cab (not the drivers walking up to you inside the terminal) will be SIGNIFICANTLY faster late night.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY-G, TK*S, AB-S, EY, LH, DL, UA, BA, AA, all hotel programmes
I will be landing 7.30p at T3. I was told that it would rather be 40-45 bucks for a cab from the terminal to Brooklyn Museum. So, I thought that instead of spending 30 bucks for both of us taking airtrain, LIRR to Atlantic terminal plus subway (backtracking East on 3/4/5), I would try taking a cab from Kiss and Ride...
Normally, I would take the A train from Howard Beach and walk down to E Parkway from Nostrand AV station - or wait there for the B44, but just this section does not seem to be very safe (at least with luggage and at dawn/darkness). Then rather A to C to S down to Botanical Garden... B15 to 3 (to Museum) is the way I usually take, but it is soo slow. Transfer at New Lots Av is fine (not sure though how it looks there at 9p...
Well, I have all schedules printed out, so I can decide which way is the best upon arrival.
But still no way to get a new metrocard at JFK except for Howard Beach/Jamaica, right? Or is there a way to exit

Last edited by mith; Mar 12, 2013 at 7:36 am
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by mith
I will be landing 7.30p at T3. I was told that it would rather be 40-45 bucks for a cab from the terminal to Brooklyn Museum ... But still no way to get a new metrocard at JFK except for Howard Beach/Jamaica, right? Or is there a way to exit
Hermes at T1, T4 and T7 has MetroCards for sale, also at Hudson News (airside only, not sure ???) - unless they added automated vending machines downstairs in arrival area. If you are doing bus-bus only transfer, you can pay cash @ @2.75 per rider (coins only, no dollar bills,) ask the bus driver for a free transfer upon boarding & payment (however, no free transfer bus to subway unless using MetroCard) MetroCard purchases now has a new $1 add-on fee but you can use an old/expired one and get it exchanged/refilled instead.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Bus is just too slow!

Consider (as cost is higher factor for you) -
A train to Manhattan and get off Fulton or WTC/Chambers (easier transfer) and transfer to 2/3 back to Brooklyn. Probably still faster than bus.

A train to Nostrand and transfer to local train and get off Franklin Ave and take B48 or Clinton/Washington and take B69 to Eastern Pkwy and walk.

The above allows you to buy a MetroCard and transfer so total trip would be AirTran terminal fee + NYC Subway/bus fare.

And if want speed -
A train to Nostrand Ave and find a livery cab upstairs (Shorter trip and cab will be on that corner within minutes - these are not common yellow cabs but black cars)
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
A reminder that the buses leave from outside terminal 5 & 6 now. It no longer leaves from terminal 4. I'm not sure when that went into effect, probably awhile ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.