Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

I'm Running Up the Empire State Building!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:35 am
Formerly known as MLW20
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT GOLD, Delta, UA/Continental & many others

Last year I started off the New Year with a fun and somewhat crazy activity. I decided to join the Coney Island Polar Bears for their annual New Years Day Swim.

I was thinking about swimming again to start off 2013 but it turns out that Kim, Lucas and I will be flying back from Nashville on New Years day. I'm not planning to make the swim an annual event but I'm still a bit bummed to be missing out in 2013.

To make up for missing out on the Polar Bear swim, I decided to enter the New York Road Runners Club lottery in hopes of winning a spot in the Empire State Building Run-Up.
Due to anticipated high demand for a spot, a random drawing was held to select participants for this race. I didn't expect to get a spot but was happy to receive an e-mail that I was in!

This is another one of those wacky and odd events that I've wanted to participate in for a while now. However, while filling out my application I was close to exiting from the page a few times.
I can not imagine how my legs (body?) will feel after running up the Empire State Building!
(It also costs $100 to enter. Definitely not cheap!)

Here is a little about the Empire State Building Run-Up according to the NYRR:

Run like King Kong in the ultimate uphill race: Climb 86 stories to the top of the world's most famous skyscraper! Get vertical as you climb nearly a quarter-mile—and be sure to take in the spectacular view of Manhattan at night as you circle the Observation Deck to finish.

This unusual race was the brainchild of Fred Lebow, and it may have been the first of its kind. The inaugural Run-Up was held in 1978 and was won by Gary Muhrcke—the former firefighter who was already renowned for winning the first-ever New York City Marathon in 1970. While visitors can reach the observation deck via elevator in under a minute, the fastest runners cover the 1,576 stairs in about 10 minutes.

I've been having fun running 5Ks and participated in a 5 mile race on Thanksgiving this past year but I have a feeling that this is going to be the toughest quarter-mile that I've ever ran!

It's almost time to start doing some sort of training for this race. Any suggestions for training ideas would be a big help!

If you've ever entered a crazy race or event, I'd love to hear about it!

Check out the NYRR event page for the Empire State Building Run-Up HERE
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I am a NYRR member and I wanted to do it but it was not on a weekend. I have run 35 marathons and did the 60K 5 times so I am looking for a good challange.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:03 am
Formerly known as MLW20
Original Poster

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I am a NYRR member and I wanted to do it but it was not on a weekend. I have run 35 marathons and did the 60K 5 times so I am looking for a good challange.
Wow! 35 marathons! This stair climb is going to be killer! I was wondering also why it was on a weeknight.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
When is the run?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good luck to all of the runners! Wow.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
February 6, 2013 No open enrollment avaliable, on charity spots.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
good luck!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:57 pm
Formerly known as MLW20
Original Poster

Thank you all! It is going to be a killer climb. I hope that I can walk the next day.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:23 pm
Suspended

I kind of feel you have to run up steps to train for this. Running on flat ground uses different muscles than climbing and running up stairs.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:22 pm
Formerly known as MLW20
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer
I kind of feel you have to run up steps to train for this. Running on flat ground uses different muscles than climbing and running up stairs.
Agreed but not sure I want to do too much stair climbing prior to it! We'll see.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:35 am
Suspended

I would not do too much, but not doing any seems like a mistake. When you get to floor 30 or so, you want to feel like you have been there before.

Originally Posted by MichaelWTravels
Agreed but not sure I want to do too much stair climbing prior to it! We'll see.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 5:54 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Meta discussions regarding the posting of images do not contribute to this thread or to the NYC Forum and have been deleted.

Those wishing not to view images are welcome to deactivate them as follows:

1) Click MyFlyerTalk in the blue menubar
2) Click Edit Options in the left-hand menu
3) Scroll down to Thread Display Options
4) Deselect Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)

/Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Jan 1, 2013 at 6:20 pm Reason: no longer necessary
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL
My cousin has done this run a few times over the years. My husband joined him about 3 maybe 4 years ago and trained doing 100 flights on the stairmaster a few times a week. It's definitely different - especially at the start when a mass (even when broken into groups) of humanity tries to squeeze into a stairwell. You may wanna keep that in mind as you line up.

Enjoy and best of luck! 86 flights - no elevator. No problem!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:09 pm
Formerly known as MLW20
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LOCommish
My cousin has done this run a few times over the years. My husband joined him about 3 maybe 4 years ago and trained doing 100 flights on the stairmaster a few times a week. It's definitely different - especially at the start when a mass (even when broken into groups) of humanity tries to squeeze into a stairwell. You may wanna keep that in mind as you line up.

Enjoy and best of luck! 86 flights - no elevator. No problem!
Thanks for the info! Maybe I should do some training for this! How long did it take your husband to complete the climb?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL
Thanks for the info! Maybe I should do some training for this! How long did it take your husband to complete the climb?
My husband was towards the back of the pack - finishing in around 32 minutes. (Of course, we'd also taken a red-eye from LV that morning so he wasn't as prepared as he could have been.) To give a measure - he normally does a half marathon in about 2 & 1/2 hours. He found the confines of the stairwell very stuffy, making it difficult to breath.

My cousin is a much more of a "real" runner than my husband. He's done the stairs 5 or 6 times I think with an average time of about 16-17 minutes.

Best of luck! Be sure to post your post-race!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.