Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

John's of Bleeker Street shut down

John's of Bleeker Street shut down

Old Dec 13, 12, 8:46 pm
  #1  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 55,146
John's of Bleeker Street shut down

Some of you have recommended this place. Well, the Health Dept closed it down yesterday for repeated violations.

Famed John's Pizzeria closed by health department

Visitors to John's of Bleeker Street in Manhattan's Greenwich Village were greeted with a yellow notice on Thursday.

The New York City Department closed the iconic pizza joint after finding a long list of health code violations.

According to the DOH website, the 83 year old eatery was closed for repeated violations. They include flies, dirty food surfaces, evidence of mice and vermin-friendly conditions.
....
Sanitary Violations
1) Raw, cooked or prepared food is adulterated, contaminated, cross-contaminated, or not discarded in accordance with HACCP plan.
2) Evidence of mice or live mice present in facility's food and/or non-food areas.
3) Filth flies or food/refuse/sewage-associated (FRSA) flies present in facility's food and/or non-food areas. Filth flies include house flies, little house flies, blow flies, bottle flies and flesh flies. Food/refuse/sewage-associated flies include fruit flies, drain flies and Phorid flies....
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2033976...lth-department
Analise is offline  
Old Dec 14, 12, 10:45 am
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 376
Great pizza. Hope they can clean up these problems and reopen.
oldgoldflyer is offline  
Old Dec 14, 12, 12:09 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 83
That's depressing. I hope they can reopen soon too.
Spaghetti is offline  
Old Dec 14, 12, 1:36 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 55,146
Delete
Analise is offline  
Old Dec 14, 12, 2:28 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 55,344
Been an interesting year for the owners with a family spat leading to a
$25M lawsuit and now this closure news.

While I know the order applies only to the Bleeker location wonder whether some of these issues would be found at the Times Square location and whether it should be avoided as a result.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Dec 14, 12, 2:57 pm
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 376
How much of an opportunity does the restaurant get to fix the problems before they shut it down?
oldgoldflyer is offline  
Old Dec 14, 12, 5:15 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 55,146
Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer View Post
How much of an opportunity does the restaurant get to fix the problems before they shut it down?
They can remedy their problems and then bring back the health dept to inspect them once again in order to re-open. I've seen this done in a month from one of my favorite hole-in-the-wall places in Chinatown.
Analise is offline  
Old Dec 17, 12, 10:43 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Posts: 14,855
Originally Posted by Analise View Post
They can remedy their problems and then bring back the health dept to inspect them once again in order to re-open. I've seen this done in a month from one of my favorite hole-in-the-wall places in Chinatown.
Yep. We all know this happens to Di Fara's in Brooklyn on a semi-regular basis.
dhammer53 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 12, 5:23 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 25,906
Never liked their pizza...
ijgordon is offline  
Old Dec 20, 12, 6:45 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 83
I sent an inquiry via their web site to ask if they had an idea of when they would reopen. I got a terse response that they were already opened. Not even a "thank you for your inquiry." Anyway, it's curious that the Bleecker Street location has been removed from their web site:
http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/
Spaghetti is offline  
Old Dec 20, 12, 8:52 pm
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 376
Well, whose pizza do you like?

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Never liked their pizza...
oldgoldflyer is offline  
Old Dec 20, 12, 10:51 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: MSY (finally); previously NYC, BOS, AUH
Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Posts: 16,811
Originally Posted by Spaghetti View Post
I sent an inquiry via their web site to ask if they had an idea of when they would reopen. I got a terse response that they were already opened. Not even a "thank you for your inquiry." Anyway, it's curious that the Bleecker Street location has been removed from their web site:
http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/
Maybe because you're on the wrong website?

http://www.johnsbrickovenpizza.com/
Blumie is offline  
Old Dec 21, 12, 9:42 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
Maybe because you're on the wrong website?

http://www.johnsbrickovenpizza.com/
Thanks for that link. Now I'm really puzzled. Isn't it the same company? Why would they have different web sites?

Anyway, I'm glad they've reopened. I do love their pizza.
Spaghetti is offline  
Old Dec 21, 12, 10:24 am
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 376
It is the same family, but the family is at war with each other.


Originally Posted by Spaghetti View Post
Thanks for that link. Now I'm really puzzled. Isn't it the same company? Why would they have different web sites?

Anyway, I'm glad they've reopened. I do love their pizza.
oldgoldflyer is offline  
Old Dec 22, 12, 10:32 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 25,906
Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer:19896935
Well, whose pizza do you like?

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Never liked their pizza...
Patsy's or Angelo's or any of a small handful of local Italian places that do it neopolitan style (12"). John's tasted "watery" to me, if that makes sense.
ijgordon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread