Reload this Page >

Destinations

America - USA

New York City

Tales From The Gas Lines (post-Sandy)

Old Nov 9, 12, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

Earlier in the week I waited more than three hours in line for gas with a lot of angry people (including myself and another driver when we joined together and yelled at someone trying to cut in line). I was determined for my own sanity to not wait in such a long line again.

So last night after a lot of research on the web (remember the Twitter hashtag #nycgas) I accepted the fate of a late night trip to New Jersey where I felt fairly certain I would not have to wait. (Spending $25 on tolls to avoid waiting in a gas line, is this sick or what?)

With the Verrazano a couple of minutes away, I spotted a tanker truck delivering gas to a station. After a quick U-turn, I was number three in line and waited about 25 minutes for the station to open. No limit on purchase. Left station, stopped off at a 7-11, updated all the appropriate websites and contacts, and went home.

Share your story of post-hurricane gas buying gas here.

Last edited by Landing Gear; Nov 10, 12 at 1:54 am Reason: clarified things
Old Nov 9, 12, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm just wondering how often people make the quick U-turn whenever they see a tanker! I suspect you are among the many.
Old Nov 10, 12, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Yes, it's a stealth operation: lights out at the station, no lights on the truck.
That's your sign gas is being delivered.

Station lights go on, they're almost ready. Owners friends start filling their cars, they're definitely ready.

But the sure sign to put your car in gear? The NYPD arrives. Then the line will move.
Old Nov 10, 12, 2:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Ouch, $25 in tolls? You need an EZ Pass.
Old Nov 10, 12, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sent View Post
Ouch, $25 in tolls? You need an EZ Pass.
I have an EZ Pass; that was an estimate. How far off am I from the real cost of:

VZ Bridge, round trip, plus
Goethals Bridge, round trip, plus
NJTP one exit, round trip?
Old Nov 10, 12, 4:36 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Landing Gear View Post
I have an EZ Pass; that was an estimate. How far off am I from the real cost of:

VZ Bridge, round trip, plus
Goethals Bridge, round trip, plus
NJTP one exit, round trip?
Verrazzano: $9.60 (if you have a NY issued EZ Pass)
Goethals: $7.50 (assuming you were driving after 8 pm)
NJ Turnpike: 0. You can get onto Route 1 after the Goethals and there are many gas stations within a mile.

The bridge tolls are all charged only one way, on the way into Staten Island.

Still not cheap. If you had paid cash, it would've been $25 though. $13 for the Verrazzano and $12 for the Goethals.
Old Nov 10, 12, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sent View Post
Verrazzano: $9.60 (if you have a NY issued EZ Pass)
Goethals: $7.50 (assuming you were driving after 8 pm)
NJ Turnpike: 0. You can get onto Route 1 after the Goethals and there are many gas stations within a mile.

The bridge tolls are all charged only one way, on the way into Staten Island.

Still not cheap. If you had paid cash, it would've been $25 though. $13 for the Verrazzano and $12 for the Goethals.
So, $17.10 plus, of course, the cost of the gas to get there and back.

No heartburn from waiting in long line? Priceless.
Old Nov 11, 12, 9:35 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Drove on Linden Blvd. through much of Prospect Park and Brownsville this morning around 9 a.m. There were a few stations still closed, but many had gas. The lines looked to be 10-15 cars long.
Old Nov 11, 12, 4:50 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
On Thursday, 11/8/12 at 2 pm (pre-odd-even edict), I was on a gas line for 1 hour (at least it wasn't 3 hours), and I would have been the next car--they just ran out of gas.
Old Nov 11, 12, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

I think the following column by Denis Hamill in the Daily News is a great "tale from the gas lines:"

30-hour wait for fuel offers plenty of intrigue but no no gas

Man who thought he had the inside scoop got in a Brooklyn gas line six hours ahead of a phantom 8 p.m. delivery, but it did not come. So, he waited and waited and waited some more. Conversations abounded, bladders gave out, car heaters whirred from overwork and a heated altercation ensued. And still no gas.
At 11:30 p.m. Califano ordered pizza and sodas from Spumoni Gardens, eating with new pals on line. Others eat Chinese takeout, McDonalds and food delivered from home. He watches a young guy buy a cute twentysomething blond a coffee and a doughnut. She invites him to sit in her car. One guy busts his wife cheatin and now a Dunkin Donuts romance is starting on the eight-block gas line, Califano said.
Old Nov 12, 12, 9:52 am

Is it really that bad out there at this point? Last Sunday I waited 45 minutes to get gas at the BP on Houston and Lafayette, which was a long time, but not THAT bad.

I can't imagine sitting in my car for 30 hours waiting for a delivery that I only heard about through the grapevine.
Old Nov 12, 12, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by themicah View Post

I can't imagine sitting in my car for 30 hours waiting for a delivery that I only heard about through the grapevine.
Some guys will use any excuse to get away from the house.
Old Nov 25, 12, 10:19 pm

Stations actually serving gas had two lines: one for vehicles and one for pedestrians with cans. Some pedestrians would then sell 3 gal for $20 to people waiting an hour back in the line.

The longest lines I saw were on over a mile long on GCP near LGA and 12+ blocks winding around on local surface streets in Queens near LIE exit 23.

Many stations with lights out had queues of cars waiting.

Search this Thread