Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Transport status (post-Sandy)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:48 am
Original Poster

JFK Transport status (post-Sandy)

Hi all,

Has anyone got any info on the state of cab's at jfk given the fuel shortage? I've been tipping between a cab and pre-bookign a car and this may just tip the balance if there are long lines...

Any thoughts??
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Fuel lines or not, a car service is rarely more than $5-10 more than a cab. ELITE and DIAL7 don't even require pre-booking, although you can do so and pay the extra. If you call either of the two noted services, a car will show up in no more than 5 mins.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:54 am
Original Poster

cheers, would you say calling on landing is easier than pre-bookign an in-airport pick up?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
pre-book a pick up. at the moment car companies are running out of available cars due to the number of requests and the fuel shortage
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks both for advice, i'll pre-book. Would you say dial7 is as good a bet as any?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:05 am

If you are going into Manhattan, just take the LIRR which is now operating. No longer need for a taxi/car.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Indelaware
If you are going into Manhattan, just take the LIRR which is now operating. No longer need for a taxi/car.
Agreed. To/from midtown, LIRR is just as fast as taking a car (at least during normal operations, and from reports of friends going to/from JFK, it sounds like not much has changed).
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:42 pm
Suspended

There were no problems with taxis at JFK today; however the car service driver said gas is an issue and the availability could be an issue. Also keep in mind you will need three people to get into the city, including the driver.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
There were no problems with taxis at JFK today; however the car service driver said gas is an issue and the availability could be an issue. Also keep in mind you will need three people to get into the city, including the driver.
Yesterday, the NY Post published:

"The Taxi and Limousine Commission announced today that vehicles licensed to the agency are now exempt from HOV restrictions on bridges."
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
Yesterday, the NY Post published:

"The Taxi and Limousine Commission announced today that vehicles licensed to the agency are now exempt from HOV restrictions on bridges."
A black car right in front of us going on to the 59th Street Bridge was turned away about 2pm this afternoon at a police check point. The article also points out the confusion at the GW Bridge. However, your point is taken - it should not be a problem - but hard to tell.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
There are no issues with gas in brooklyn/queens, plenty of gas station open and I've never seen a queue in the last 3 days...
Old Nov 3, 2012, 8:03 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
JFK to Manhattan has been a big problem in the last few days. Gypsy cabs are charging $100 per person at JFK for Manhattan bound pax.

Also note there are checks to ensure minimum 3 people in a car before entry is permitted into Manhattan,
Old Nov 3, 2012, 8:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Let's move this thread over to the NYC forum.

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
Old Nov 3, 2012, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by ale.penazzi
There are no issues with gas in brooklyn/queens, plenty of gas station open and I've never seen a queue in the last 3 days...
I saw plenty of stations closed yesterday, and at least one very long line of people queueing up to fill their cans.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by at240
I saw plenty of stations closed yesterday, and at least one very long line of people queueing up to fill their cans.
All 5 local gas stations in our immediate area in NE Queens / Flushing area were out of gas - the Mobil got a delivery last night & got swarmed as soon as words got around. Cars with drivers sat in line, engines off - waiting for the Hess station next to the hospital on Main Street, to get its expected delivery - doctors & nurses & employees still wearing their ID's among them (presumably off-duty and/or on their own time, as they should be inside caring for ill patients) - how sad.

This morning, NY Governor Cuomo announced that National Guard troops at various Armory will be dispensing gas with the arrival of 5,000 gallons fuel trucks, send by the US DOS at the President's Order to help relieve shortage - limit of 10 gallons per person.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/11/...y-long-island/

Can't help but wonder if those open stations might be selling lotto tickets, bread & milk, and other essentials like 1 or 2 or 5 gallons gas cans so that folks can fuel their portable generators - electricity is still out for folks outside Manhattan, ETA of 7 days or longer.

My car's tank is at 60% so I'm not in a panic mode but there are plenty of neighbors whose daily lives have been flipped & spinned - at least 2,000 of them in our area still without electricity, temperature will be below freezing tonight - another long night ahead for them.

As for JFK - there are taxis available at different terminals, finding a car (black) services might be more difficult as many of them are running low and/or out of gas - the few Hybrid drivers are liteally "dancing" in the street but imposing a special surcharge - which from what I hear, passengers are glad to pay. Among the reasons for the taxis to continue to get around is because many belong to fleet garages with their own fueling stations, and are leased - the medallion owners got their supply issues covered.

We are hopeful that the overall crisis will improve by mid-week as the gas pipelines come back live with electricity restored (or huge generators-powered to keep pumping) & shortage for the grids eased - tankers are unloading, and US Navy ships are reported anchored outside the Rockaways off Long Island, bring more resources to the staging area - great, it's overdue & much needed. Praying for our less fortunate New Yorkers in this continuing disaster of historic proportions.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Nov 3, 2012 at 9:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.