Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Uber.com Taxi Request Service (was 'Uber vs taxis... Über rules!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska mvp G, AA Exec Plat, Marriott/SPG platinum, United Silver, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond

If you guys don't have the über app. Get it. Only a fraction higher than taxis and no need for kony exchange as it all goes to our crd on ile. No need to even tip..

Life saver if ou are in an are with little taxi presence.

Plus, the car service is really Greg. We used 3 times in lower manhattan last week.. Got Mercedes s500 ll three times lol.

If you not know what it is. Check it out. Uber.com

How are others experiences with uber been... Or do you prefer taxis

Last edited by dstan; Sep 16, 2012 at 12:11 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 6:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They're facings some challenges in NYC with their Uber Taxi product, namely that it requires the drivers to break a bunch of TLC rules.

The tip is built in to the fare and, depending on the distance traveled, the premium for the fare versus a taxi can be significant.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:16 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
For some recent articles on this service, see:

NYTimes: As a Taxi-Hailing App Comes to New York, Its Legality Is Questioned

WashPost: Now New York City is giving Uber a hard time

HuffPost: Taxi-Hailing App Uber Blocked From Processing Fares In New York City

------------------------------------------

I've updated the thread title for clarity.
/Moderator
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:47 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I've met Greg, he's a great guy!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by zerodegre
If you guys don't have the über app. Get it. Only a fraction higher than taxis and no need for kony exchange as it all goes to our crd on ile. No need to even tip..
First, in NYC, all yellow cabs accept credit cards.

Second, how can you claim that this is "only a fraction higher than taxis"? Here are the NYC rates:

Code:
           Yellow Cab  UberX
Base       $3.00       $6.00
Per Mile   $2.50       $3.00
Per Minute $0.50       $0.75
           <6 mph      <11 mph
OK, so Uber includes the tip. Let's figure a 2-mile (40-block) ride with 2 minutes sitting in traffic. For the NYC Yellow cab, that works out to $9.00 plus tip - let's even say it's a generous $2.00 tip for a total of $11.00. For the UberX, that works out to $13.50, which is 23% higher!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dstan
OK, so Uber includes the tip. Let's figure a 2-mile (40-block) ride with 2 minutes sitting in traffic. For the NYC Yellow cab, that works out to $9.00 plus tip - let's even say it's a generous $2.00 tip for a total of $11.00. For the UberX, that works out to $13.50, which is 23% higher!
You don't think there's a market for people who'd gladly pay an extra $2.50 for whatever convenience the service supposedly offers?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by nerd
You don't think there's a market for people who'd gladly pay an extra $2.50 for whatever convenience the service supposedly offers?
That wasn't the claim in question.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dstan
That wasn't the claim in question.
Okay, we can get picky. ^

It's 23/100ths more. That's not a fraction?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
From "Gotham Gazette," a publication of Citizens Union:

Taxi Smartphone Apps Seen As Threat to Street Hails

Excerpt:
NEW YORK — Smartphone apps that allow passengers to hail yellow taxis could divide the city into those who can afford to pay a premium to get a ride and those who cannot, elected officials argue.

A number of companies are looking to break into the yellow cab industry with smartphone apps that would let New Yorkers hail a taxi without having to wave one down on the street. But yellow cabs are banned from making prearranged pickups, raising questions about the legality of hailing apps. Drivers of yellow cabs also aren't supposed to use electronic devices while in transit.

At an oversight hearing yesterday, members of the City Council also questioned whether smartphone apps were necessary or even fair.

"We cannot have a two-tiered taxi system in this city, where people with money pay a premium to get a cab, and the rest of us are left out," said City Councilman James Vacca, chairman of the transportation committee, during the hearing.

He said the use of smartphone apps to hail taxis could "change the game for passengers on the street" because drivers could refuse service to pedestrians and blame it on an "app call" — especially if it meant a ride that would be more profitable.
More at: http://www.gothamgazette.com/index.p...ustry-hallmark
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
"We cannot have a two-tiered taxi system in this city, where people with money pay a premium to get a cab, and the rest of us are left out," said City Councilman James Vacca, chairman of the transportation committee, during the hearing.
In the NYT (link above), Vacca is additionally quoted as saying "As a councilman from the Bronx, a disparity like that does concern me." I don't want to get too political so I will just let Vacca's comments stand, in all their glory.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: CO Pres. Plat, SPG
I used Uber for the first time yesterday - I was running late for something in Brooklyn, but live on Roosevelt Island. Getting a cab here is hit or miss; the other option involves waiting for the bus then take the tram or subway, then transferring to the correct line.

I had a very good experience with my driver. The car was cleaner and better maintained than the queens-based car services I've used in the past. He arrived promptly (and I could track his arrival). Payment was quick and easy; I didn't have to do anything once we got to the location, but had a very nice receipt emailed to me so I could quickly enter it into the expense system (no scanning some scribbled receipt or sharing my card with a potentially sketchy driver who was going to make a carbon copy of it).
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Uber has pulled out of NYC taxis, but still apparently is trying to make a go of it with black cars.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/17/ny....html?hpw&_r=0
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Looks like they should have gotten some legal and/or government relations advice before starting this project.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Looks like they should have gotten some legal and/or government relations advice before starting this project.
No way you can win from the TLC in the capital of capitalism.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
Uber has pulled out of NYC taxis, but still apparently is trying to make a go of it with black cars.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/17/ny....html?hpw&_r=0
Boston is "more innovation-friendly"...right...who had credit card machines in taxi cabs first? NYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.