Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Manhattan To Meadowlands; time not cost a priority! What would you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, LTG

Here is the deal:
* Landing at LGA at 10.35am, collecting checked luggage
* Catching a cab to hotel 45 West 44TH Street, dropping off luggage
* Travelling to Metlife Stadium for 1pm Colts vs Jets game on Sunday 10th October

This will be my first NFL game, and I am unlikely to get to another for a long time so I am keen to make the most of it. Hence, my first priority will be to get to the stadium as fast as possible. I figure I'll get to the hotel around 12pm after waiting for the checked luggage and the cab ride.

Based on the above, would you recommend public transport or catching a cab to the stadium? Do roads get choked when a game is on, so it ends up being quicker getting public transport? Cost in this instance isn't a consideration.

Thanks in advance to the experienced NYers out there!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by TheInvisibleHand
Here is the deal:
* Landing at LGA at 10.35am, collecting checked luggage
* Catching a cab to hotel 45 West 44TH Street, dropping off luggage
* Travelling to Metlife Stadium for 1pm Colts vs Jets game on Sunday 10th October

This will be my first NFL game, and I am unlikely to get to another for a long time so I am keen to make the most of it. Hence, my first priority will be to get to the stadium as fast as possible. I figure I'll get to the hotel around 12pm after waiting for the checked luggage and the cab ride.

Based on the above, would you recommend public transport or catching a cab to the stadium? Do roads get choked when a game is on, so it ends up being quicker getting public transport? Cost in this instance isn't a consideration.

Thanks in advance to the experienced NYers out there!
I would say public transportation. The "train to the game" is probably your best bet.

http://www.mta.info/mta/sports/meadowlands.html

Go to Penn Station and buy a round-trip ticket to the Meadowlands Sports Complex. Take the train to Secaucus and then switch to the rail line that goes to MetLife Stadium.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dchristiva
I would say public transportation. The "train to the game" is probably your best bet.

http://www.mta.info/mta/sports/meadowlands.html

Go to Penn Station and buy a round-trip ticket to the Meadowlands Sports Complex. Take the train to Secaucus and then switch to the rail line that goes to MetLife Stadium.
Follow this advice, TheInvisibleHand. Traffic will be a nightmare; you will want no part of it.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
Follow this advice, TheInvisibleHand. Traffic will be a nightmare; you will want no part of it.
Thankyou both for the advice - it is very much appreciated. PT it is!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
What airline are you flying to LGA? If AA, you can take advantage of a new service where they'll deliver your checked bags directly to the hotel for you.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
What airline are you flying to LGA? If AA, you can take advantage of a new service where they'll deliver your checked bags directly to the hotel for you.
@:-) :-:
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:55 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
You can even print your ticket from home (saving waiting in lines at Penn. Sta. in NY). http://www.metlifestadium.com/3_home_releases.php?id=62
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
Originally Posted by nrr
You can even print your ticket from home (saving waiting in lines at Penn. Sta. in NY). http://www.metlifestadium.com/3_home_releases.php?id=62
Too cool guys. Really glad I posted this question - what excellent suggestions, and I would have had no idea they were options!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
If cost is no factor - you may consider a rental car directly from LGA as (Sunday traffic) won't be horrible at that early hour. Getting to stadium will have some delays but tailgating and the parking availability at the new stadium has improved that condition.
Not sure how long you are in Manhattan but you may even consider a one-way rental from LGA and drop off at a Manhattan location but you will pay dearly for parking at the stadium and back in Manhattan (unless you drop off the car upon return). Toll is $13 back into Manhattan but you will pay that whether in a rental or cab.

Check your dates as Bills @ Jets is Sept 9th and you have Oct 10th. You would hate to have the wrong flight and/or hotel reservation.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
If cost is no factor - you may consider a rental car directly from LGA as (Sunday traffic) won't be horrible at that early hour. Getting to stadium will have some delays but tailgating and the parking availability at the new stadium has improved that condition.
Not sure how long you are in Manhattan but you may even consider a one-way rental from LGA and drop off at a Manhattan location but you will pay dearly for parking at the stadium and back in Manhattan (unless you drop off the car upon return). Toll is $13 back into Manhattan but you will pay that whether in a rental or cab.

Check your dates as Bills @ Jets is Sept 9th and you have Oct 10th. You would hate to have the wrong flight and/or hotel reservation.
Pretty sure OP said Colts @ Jets. However, that game is on 10/14, not 10/10 as the OP said. 10/10 is a Wednesday, so I'm confident that there's NO NFL game that day.

I'm going to continue to disagree with the idea of taking a personal car over to the stadium unless the OP has a parking pass for one of the lots adjacent to MetLife. If not, he'll end up parking in the hinterlands and I think his travels would take just as long as a cab to the hotel/dropping his bags/public transportation to the game. Even better if he can get his bags delivered to the hotel by his airline. The train ride from Penn to Secaucus is about 12 minutes and the ride from Secaucus to the stadium is about 10 minutes.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:03 am

If cost is truly no object, helicopter charter would be the fastest way to go. Have it pick you up at LGA, fly you to the West 34th heliport where a car service can take you to the hotel and back, then on to the Meadowlands.

That said, I'm not sure there's a legal place to land a helicopter at the Meadowlands (unless your name rhymes with Zoomberg).
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I thought about this more - disregard comments on car.
Your best bet from your hotel is walk over to Port Authority and take the express bus (if you time it correctly).

It makes no stops and outside of timing the departure same velocity as a cab at lower cost.
http://www.coachusa.com/info/coachusa/ss.351express.asp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.