Search

WARNING: Construction - massive delays anticipated at GWB starting Sat 7/14

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA
WARNING: Construction - massive delays anticipated at GWB starting Sat 7/14

http://www.northjersey.com/news/tran...tml?c=y&page=2

Due to construction on the Alexander Hamilton bridge, a portion of eastbound I-95 will be closed starting Saturday 7/14. The project is expected to take 3 months, although the NYC DOT says it could take as long as 6 months.

NJ DOT says to expect "unprecedented" delays on all major approaches to the GWB (and on local streets) - maybe as much as 5 miles (~2 hours) during morning rush.

And just to add insult to injury, the Port Authority is also starting a rehab project on the 495 helix into the Lincoln Tunnel in August - it will be closed completely between 10:30 p.m. and 5 a.m. on weeknights.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:44 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jg70124
http://www.northjersey.com/news/tran...tml?c=y&page=2

And just to add insult to injury, the Port Authority is also starting a rehab project on the 495 helix into the Lincoln Tunnel in August - it will be closed completely between 10:30 p.m. and 5 a.m. on weeknights.
There is not that much traffic going into NYC in that time frame, so using the parallel streets shouldn't cause that much of a delay.
BUT, I'm just guessing, when the rehab on the helix EB is finished, they will probably begin WB construction--this would cause major problems for people leaving Manhattan to NJ, 10:30 pm is too early to start closures.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by jg70124
Hopefully, they finish the one lane exit for Weehawken prior to construction on the Helix otherwise we are talking 3 lanes of traffic compacting to 1 lane exit and a stoplight.

Last edited by RooseveltL; Jul 12, 2012 at 9:00 am
Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Day 1.....and all seems to be okay thus far.

http://www.1010wins.com

The real test will come tomorrow (Monday) morning during the commute.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Day 1.....and all seems to be okay thus far.

http://www.1010wins.com

The real test will come tomorrow (Monday) morning during the commute.
Well - my office overlooks the approach to the bridge. Except for Friday, when it was raining and there was a big wreck, last week was probably the lightest traffic I've ever seen.

The trend continues today.

Not sure what's going on - guess people are making other arrangements.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Normal traffic for July 4th - mid August. Real test will be what happens starting around August 25.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.