Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Model Airplane Stores

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2012, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Model Airplane Stores

Next month I am flying to the big and most beautiful apple in the world. And I have I to get some airplane models [for myself] does anyone know where in the city there is
A good store for airplane models?
Thank you very much
TLVBASED
Old Jun 2, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
Something like this? http://www.theredcaboose.com/

Never been there myself, though.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by martinfoss

I've walked by this place a number of times on my way home. The website makes the place look like a pretty good hobby store. I stopped in the other night. What a disaster. If there was any organization to the store, I couldn't figure it out. They seem to focus on model railroading. It's in the basement of the building and they've done nothing to spruce it up. Bare concrete floor, stuff everywhere, a guy behind a counter in what looks like a small cave. Crazy. No one asked if I needed any help as I wandered around. Their collection of model kits seemed kind of dated, and I couldn't figure out any rhyme or reason to the way the kits were placed on the shelves. I didn't see any commercial airplane model kits - only military aircraft.

All in all, it was a very weird place. It looked like it had potential, but the disorganization and lack of customer service made it impossible to figure out whether the store was any good.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:05 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I've walked by this place a number of times on my way home. The website makes the place look like a pretty good hobby store. I stopped in the other night. What a disaster. If there was any organization to the store, I couldn't figure it out. They seem to focus on model railroading. It's in the basement of the building and they've done nothing to spruce it up. Bare concrete floor, stuff everywhere, a guy behind a counter in what looks like a small cave. Crazy. No one asked if I needed any help as I wandered around. Their collection of model kits seemed kind of dated, and I couldn't figure out any rhyme or reason to the way the kits were placed on the shelves. I didn't see any commercial airplane model kits - only military aircraft.

All in all, it was a very weird place. It looked like it had potential, but the disorganization and lack of customer service made it impossible to figure out whether the store was any good.
Actually sounds like a stereotypical model RR store to me. I bet dstan, Sr. would love it!
Old Jun 9, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
you might want to try FAO Schwartz. They have some models, though pretty pricey.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
There's a good model railroad shop more or less under Ditmas Avenue Subway station. I don't think they do planes though
Old Jun 10, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by exilencfc
There's a good model railroad shop more or less under Ditmas Avenue Subway station. I don't think they do planes though
Someone from outside New York may not know that Ditmas Avenue is in Brooklyn. Is this the place you mean?

Train World
751 McDonald Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11218
(718) 436-7072
www.trainworld.com

It's near the Ditmas Avenue stop of the F train. "Under the station" also might be a bit confusing unless people know that this is an elevated, not subterranean station.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 3:50 pm

Yeah that's the one, couldn't remember what it was called. The elevated track runs down the road it's on.

Isn't Brooklyn officially part of New York City?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. Only in an official sense.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:23 pm

Yeah that's the one, couldn't remember what it was called. The elevated track runs down the road it's on.

Certainly, since 1898. I live there. But street names outside Manhattan are not always recognized by tourists.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by dstan
Actually sounds like a stereotypical model RR store to me. I bet dstan, Sr. would love it!
Maybe. I left unimpressed. I will say that if RR is one's thing, these guys definitely focus on that segment.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by martinfoss

I used to do a lot of Model RR when I was younger and the red caboose was always a mess that was overpriced. Trainworld as someone mentioned in Brooklyn and their sister store in Lynbrook on LI was always a much better place to shop.
Cheers
Howie
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
I used to do a lot of Model RR when I was younger and the red caboose was always a mess that was overpriced. Trainworld as someone mentioned in Brooklyn and their sister store in Lynbrook on LI was always a much better place to shop.
Cheers
Howie
I'll be going to NYC in a few weeks. Is it easy/possible to get to Trainworld on the way to/fr Coney Island, via the subway? (I'm assuming the subway will cost more since I'd have to swipe out then back in, but it is a haul out to Coney Island).
I have some model trains from when I was a kid...and it is always fun to look at these shops.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
I'll be going to NYC in a few weeks. Is it easy/possible to get to Trainworld on the way to/fr Coney Island, via the subway? (I'm assuming the subway will cost more since I'd have to swipe out then back in, but it is a haul out to Coney Island).
I have some model trains from when I was a kid...and it is always fun to look at these shops.
Embark NYC (an iPhone app discussed in another thread) says it's a 17 minute ride on the F train between Coney Island--Stillwell Avenue and Ditmas Avenue.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 3:20 am

Trainworld is very easy to get to from Ditmas Ave station (if coming from Manhattan go down the stairs, cross the road and walk back in the direction the train came from. From Coney island go downstairs, stay on same side of road and continue in direction of travel). You'd have to pay twice for the subway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.