Wiki Posts
Search

Space Shuttle Enterprise to Land at JFK atop Shuttle Carrier Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
Space Shuttle Enterprise to Land at JFK atop Shuttle Carrier Aircraft

Space Shuttle is planning to arrive at JFK on April 23rd, a Monday, and planning to be at Kennedy for 2 months before being transferred to the Intrepid. This would be a fun spotting opp for JFK. Wonder what they flight number will be.

http://www.space.com/14764-space-shu...c-landing.html
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:43 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Don't wanna be a killjoy but it's a bit dissapointing they choose for NYC the shuttle that never went to space...
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Villavic
Don't wanna be a killjoy but it's a bit dissapointing they choose for NYC the shuttle that never went to space...
Given NYC never launched a shuttle, it's better than the shuttle they're putting at Mission Control in Houston.....
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:26 pm

So will the Intrepid be it's perm home now?

I'm glad I got to see it at the smithsonian.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Sweet! I'll be flying out of JFK on April 23 and now I'll be looking for it. Thanks for the heads up, closet! ^
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Exclamation Space Shuttle Enterprise to Land at JFK April 23 atop Shuttle Carrier Aircraft

SPACE SHUTTLE Enterprise ARRIVES IN NEW YORK CITY

Landing at JFK Airport Marks First Leg of Historic Trip to New Home at
Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum

The Space Shuttle Enterprise, the original NASA orbiter that paved the way for America’s successful space shuttle program, will officially arrive in New York City and mark the start of its historic journey to its new home at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum when it touches down at John F. Kennedy Airport on Monday, April 23. The shuttle will be welcomed by an assembled gathering of invited guests, including school children from across the tri-state area and elected and community leaders.

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/shuttle/

note: Shuttle Enterprise never went on orbit.

There will be a flyover New York City by the SCA/Shuttle combo.

More information and pictures to follow.

Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Sadly, due to the forcasted rain, the shuttle arrival has been postponed indefinitely.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by kwildnj
Sadly, due to the forcasted rain, the shuttle arrival has been postponed indefinitely.
Sad that it's postponed, but I'd rather have good weather when it comes so we can actually see it!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Tentatively planning for Wednesday now.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
I was just informed that the Space Shuttle's trek to JFK will include a fly-by of EWR at approximately 10:15am Wednesday. No details as to how low, possible view points, or the like.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Hopefully this generates a lot of buzz up there...

In Washington last week, the arrival of the Discovery was an amazing sight to see...

It flew over my place (I live within walking distance to Reagan) and I got some pictures, but from the traffic and live news reporting, it was a mess outside from all the spectators!

I'm guessing the people up there will love it as much as down here, however it is New York :-)

Good luck for viewing the NASA 747 & Enterprise, I've got some nice pictures of that shuttle from when it was at our museum here at Udvar-Hazy!

-jeremy
Old Apr 24, 2012, 8:13 am

Anybody have thoughts on the best place to view?

I think it's supposed to do fly-bys of the Statue of Liberty and the Intrepid, so I assume it's going up the Hudson. Therefore I'd figure anywhere along the river that's not obstructed should be good.

But I was also thinking of maybe buying a ticket to Top of the Rock to save myself the schlep over to the river (I work a block away from TOTR). Seems the TOTR has a pretty good view of the air over the Hudson:

Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/shuttle/ferry/status.html

Now Friday at the earliest.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
Anybody have thoughts on the best place to view?

I think it's supposed to do fly-bys of the Statue of Liberty and the Intrepid, so I assume it's going up the Hudson. Therefore I'd figure anywhere along the river that's not obstructed should be good.

But I was also thinking of maybe buying a ticket to Top of the Rock to save myself the schlep over to the river (I work a block away from TOTR). Seems the TOTR has a pretty good view of the air over the Hudson:

You will get a better view from Top of the Rock since you'd be higher than the plane as it lands, and you can see it from when it enters the horizon all the way till it lands at JFK. At ground level on the west side, you'll lose sight of it when it goes behind the buildings of Manhattan.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Question NASA #OV101 SCA NYC fly-over

I'll be at
  1. most likely at the Intrepid Museum herself to watch it but am also receptive to, if others want,
  2. the end of the Hyatt Regency Jersey City pier (specifically (40.71689961566658, -74.030020236969))
  3. or, less likely due to lack of creature comforts, at Liberty State Park's 9/11 monument's eastern end (specifically (40.708279312457385, -74.0344512462616))
after 9:45a on Friday coming in by ]PATH (unless NASA changes in which case, I'll edit this post).

Anyone else going?

Know of any others doing the same? Debating how to get the NASA TV audio stream (none available on the cell, I fear) and/or LiveATC on my cell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.