Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

3-5* Hotel on Tight Budget, Apr 19-21, 2012

3-5* Hotel on Tight Budget, Apr 19-21, 2012

Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mvtm
Trump Soho 3 Nights, 3 Guests. Refundable $336 daily rate.
That's fine, but six posts ago you said $250 was your probable upper limit and you wanted "something that screams deal." This isn't it. It's fine, but you can do better. Did you even look on Hotels.com or Kayak?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by BearX220
That's fine, but six posts ago you said $250 was your probable upper limit and you wanted "something that screams deal." This isn't it. It's fine, but you can do better. Did you even look on Hotels.com or Kayak?
Not Kayak. I looked at the top 100ish ranked hotels per tripadvisor. Watching every traveller's picture out there. Saw many *4s that appeared to be a bit rundown or in need of maintenance, so sticked with the modern ones. This is why i was a bit hesitant to go the PL way. Made a list about the top 20-30ish i liked and then quoted the total wit tax 1 by 1 on the hotel's official website.

A very few where booked (Casablanca,Hilton Fashion Street etc), a few didn't allow 3 persons and asked for 2 rooms instead or larger more expensive room for 3. The cheapest quote came from the Yotel at $200. Then a competitive quote $250ish for the IC Barclay and then the trump about $330. So i had a viable rate at a 3*,4*,5*. Upon looking closely at IC Barclay, they charged $50 more per night starting the 3rd adult, So i was about to match the Trump's rate for the 3 ... for an older, lower category hotel.

After going through with my parents if the Yotel or the Trump, they decided to splurge me. Of course an intermediate option such as a solid 4* located in Midtown would probably made me change my mind. But i really went directly to the hotels websites ... in about 20 options ... and the daily rates for 4/19-4/22 for the 3 of us were frequently in the $350+ range. No first hand experience with other booking options. I'm afraid if i use other site that it is not the own's hotel, the rate i book would be not honored upon check in.

Sincerely maybe on heart the correct choice would be a well located, 4* Midtown hotel in a $250 range rather than the Trump, but i didn't find one. Distrikt Hotel starting at $319 daily was one of the cheaper options along with the Barclay, but if i am paying $320 for these, why not $330 for the Trump which is a 5*?

Others hotels in the 5* range that i liked were (i like modern): The Setai,The Mark, The Chatwal and maybe the Mandarin Oriental. All of these options were super expensive and out of range. Starting at $660 .. if given the choice i would prefer to pay that for the FS Hualalai.

I did provide my "I prefer" membership to see if i am getting the complimentary wifi, welcome amenity (supposedly it's a bottle of something in the room) , late check out (blah blah) and room upgrade if available (i think everyone get's a room upgrade nowadays). Read a review on tripadvisor that this seems to be working. I would like it to be working as the hotel charges $15 per wifi- per device not room, if not i'll buy a cheap prepaid data plan on any of the USA carriers: t-mobile,sprint,att&t for my GSM unlocked phone.

So far dad wants to go to a Baseball game at the Yankees stadium and mom wants to go to a broadway musical/show and a nice dinner somewhere. We like museums, events,food, shopping -All

I already been in NY 2 times before, i guess we just want to relax and walk around the city before arriving into Venezuela. I've already visited Empire State, Statue of Liberty and all the landmarks. We are not too big on tourist tours as we already done that, but yeah maybe i can go to the Empire State again - if we have time. Why not.

So now that i'll be based in SoHo ... what things i can do around there ... anything special, trendy, nice place to visit? Of course i think i love Midtown, almost everything is there. We don't mind exiting the Trump tower with our Metrocards... hehe. I need some help here... Transportation plan if going to Central Park,Times Square etc etc.

Also i'm arriving in LGA at noon with plenty of luggage. Cheap/better way to get to the hotel? We will be departing in JFK around 4PM.

Thank You Guys

Last edited by mvtm; Feb 25, 2012 at 4:30 pm
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Please read the tons of information already posted in this forum that answers all your questions about NYC activities and ground transport.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
Please read the tons of information already posted in this forum that answers all your questions about NYC activities and ground transport.
Thanks dstan! I read the sticky, and found some useful links along goldstar.com. I booked for the 3 of us Audi Club Seating at $125 each. My dad is such a baseball fan (here in Venezuela baseball is big). He so wanted to meet the new Yankees Stadium. Got the tickets for the only date that the Yankees where playing home in our stay. Supposedly the buffet is very good and the place looks nice! This would be my third time in my life that i go to a baseball game. (Marlins,Pittsburgh Pirates and now Yankees)

I hope this one is a deal. ^
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:29 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
So far dad wants to go to a Baseball game at the Yankees stadium and mom wants to go to a broadway musical/show and a nice dinner somewhere. We like museums, events,food, shopping -All

I already been in NY 2 times before, i guess we just want to relax and walk around the city before arriving into Venezuela. I've already visited Empire State, Statue of Liberty and all the landmarks. We are not too big on tourist tours as we already done that, but yeah maybe i can go to the Empire State again - if we have time. Why not.

So now that i'll be based in SoHo ... what things i can do around there ... anything special, trendy, nice place to visit? Of course i think i love Midtown, almost everything is there. We don't mind exiting the Trump tower with our Metrocards... hehe. I need some help here... Transportation plan if going to Central Park,Times Square etc etc.

Also i'm arriving in LGA at noon with plenty of luggage. Cheap/better way to get to the hotel? We will be departing in JFK around 4PM.

Thank You Guys
Many in this forum recommend Top of the Rock over the Empire State Building: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...-top-rock.html

For musicals, be sure to check the TKTS booths for discount tickets on the morning of the show - show up early, they are first-come-first-served. If you want tickets in advance, it will generally cost considerably more, but then you can be sure of what show you get to see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...e-tickets.html

Analise can tell you all about the baseball tix

From your hotel, the closest subway stop is Spring St., where the C and E lines stop - the C will take you up to Central Park - you could start from Columbus Circle, where the more touristy stuff is along Central Park South, or perhaps head further up to the area around 72nd St. where there is Bethesda Terrace and a small lake, or 86th St. where there is a large reservoir with jogging path. Note that Central Park is very large, so plan your walks accordingly - the reservoir is about 2.5 km all the way around.

You are also close to the 1 line at Canal or Houston St., which will take you up to Times Square (or take the C/E to 42nd St. and walk across).

As far as transportation from LGA, honestly, with lots of luggage, I would suggest that you pile into a cab. You can take public transportation, but it will involve taking a bus and subway and take longer. See our wiki here: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...sportation_FAQ
Old Feb 28, 2012, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dstan
Analise can tell you all about the baseball tix
Looks like SHE already took care of that.

Originally Posted by mvtim
I booked for the 3 of us Audi Club Seating at $125 each. My dad is such a baseball fan (here in Venezuela baseball is big). He so wanted to meet the new Yankees Stadium. Got the tickets for the only date that the Yankees where playing home in our stay. Supposedly the buffet is very good and the place looks nice! This would be my third time in my life that i go to a baseball game. (Marlins,Pittsburgh Pirates and now Yankees)

I hope this one is a deal.
Well, it's a "deal" if all of you enjoy yourselves.

Last edited by Analise; Feb 28, 2012 at 2:32 pm Reason: The OP Is a she! : )
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

I am a she!!!!
I am a 22 year old, with 65 and 75 year old parents!!!

Last edited by mvtm; Feb 28, 2012 at 12:53 pm
Old Feb 28, 2012, 2:35 pm

I am a she!!!!
I am a 22 year old, with 65 and 75 year old parents!!!
My apologies!! Are you a baseball fan too like your father is? Not many of us of the female persuasion in Flyertalk who love and post about baseball. We are in the minority.

Thank You Guys
Some of us aren't "Guys"!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
My apologies!! Are you a baseball fan too like your father is? Not many of us of the female persuasion in Flyertalk who love and post about baseball. We are in the minority.
Truth is i don't really like Baseball . It bores me, i think i prefer more fast paced sports with tons of action !! That is on TV, i just love being in a concert or in a stadium. The vibe, energy,people, music...

Nevertheless even if i don't have anything against baseball at all. I like a fine dine experience while watching a Yankees game in the brand new Yankee stadium, because it should be a fun & different experience. I'm pretty excited to be pampered in an abroad country. I love to be pampered everywhere! Thus this i read a lot in order to guarantee a nice experience in our travels.

So yeah, i'm going to enjoy it much because i know my father will Mom... well she is like me... she doesn't like baseball ... we don't eat muuuch... we like shopping...but seems like an unique experience given that we live far away and makes dad happy, hell yeah.

I'm doing this Miami,Honolulu,Maui and New York trip thanks to the fruits of my reading at flyertalk and the knowledge that i've gotten in the AA forum. I exchanged 90.000 AA miles total for tickets worth 7.500USD. I only have 39.000 program to date miles in my AA account, so it's quite a feat i'm a Platinum and could bank 90.000 miles

Originally Posted by Analise
Some of us aren't "Guys"!
My apologies to you! I have always though 95% of these forum members are "Guys" ! 50 year old guys, but guys!!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:00 am

Truth is i don't really like Baseball . It bores me, i think i prefer more fast paced sports with tons of action !! That is on TV, i just love being in a concert or in a stadium. The vibe, energy,people, music...

Nevertheless even if i don't have anything against baseball at all. I like a fine dine experience while watching a Yankees game in the brand new Yankee stadium, because it should be a fun & different experience. I'm pretty excited to be pampered in an abroad country. I love to be pampered everywhere! Thus this i read a lot in order to guarantee a nice experience in our travels.
I don't know how much "pampering" you will get sitting all the way out at the Audi Club.

So yeah, i'm going to enjoy it much because i know my father will Mom... well she is like me... she doesn't like baseball ... we don't eat muuuch... we like shopping...but seems like an unique experience given that we live far away and makes dad happy, hell yeah.
Your father regardless of the location will probably enjoy himself. He IS a baseball fan afterall.

I'm doing this Miami,Honolulu,Maui and New York trip thanks to the fruits of my reading at flyertalk and the knowledge that i've gotten in the AA forum. I exchanged 90.000 AA miles total for tickets worth 7.500USD. I only have 39.000 program to date miles in my AA account, so it's quite a feat i'm a Platinum and could bank 90.000 miles
^

My apologies to you! I have always though 95% of these forum members are "Guys" ! 50 year old guys, but guys!!
Not all of us!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:24 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
The NYC Forum is more diverse than you think. This is NYC, after all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.