Best way for me to get to JFK tomorrow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way for me to get to JFK tomorrow?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone, took awhile for me to reply because, I just got home tonight.

The delay was due to 2 reasons:
1. Didn't come here while working
2. Don't want to "send" my password information over the hotel wifi. I always heard that someone could potentially steal my info. Heck, even when you connect to the hotel wifi, you get the message "you are connecting to an unsecure connection...."

Anyway, my friend and I both took the air train.
In fact, we left at the same time and my friend got to the air train BEFORE me!

So I got on the Q30, and it took about 55 minutes to arrive at Jamaica station.
Thanks to guv1976 I did not take the Q30 to the F to the E.
I took the Q30 directly to the Air Train station.

Once I got to the station, it took around 20 minutes to get to the terminal, we were at terminal 8, which was the last stop.

Surprisingly there was NO line at security. So we went right through.

Thanks for all the help!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Glad it all worked out! Your concern about the hotel wifi is interesting—I would never do online banking, for example, but I have logged on to Flyertalk.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Analise
Glad it all worked out! Your concern about the hotel wifi is interesting—I would never do online banking, for example, but I have logged on to Flyertalk.
Online banking is actually less of an issue because your connection is encrypted. With flyertalk, your connection isn't encrypted so if you use the same username/password on other sites, someone might in theory be able to get it. Although I don't think I've ever heard of someone actually getting hacked by using hotel wifi (the vast, vast majority of password theft is through social engineering attacks like phishing).
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
Why don't you do online banking over hotel wifi?

For me...Same answer but it applies to all my accounts.
I could be paranoid but...

I know someone stealing the password for online banking is a lot different than stealing the password to a forum....but I like to keep all my logins safe

Old Feb 17, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: IC Plat Amb, Kimpton Inner Circle, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by themicah
Online banking is actually less of an issue because your connection is encrypted. With flyertalk, your connection isn't encrypted so if you use the same username/password on other sites, someone might in theory be able to get it. Although I don't think I've ever heard of someone actually getting hacked by using hotel wifi (the vast, vast majority of password theft is through social engineering attacks like phishing).
OT:
Basically correct, although the issue is less about stealing the password (most are hashed, not plain text) and more about stealing the session cookie (allowing them to impersonate an existing connection). Encrypted connections (bank, reputable shopping sites, etc) are much less vulnerable. Google "firesheep" for a whole lot more discussion of the issue.
/OT
Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sard
Why don't you do online banking over hotel wifi?
I won't do online banking over any wifi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.