Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Massive Occupy Wall Street march on 5/1 - threaten to shut down bridges/tunnels

Old Apr 24, 2012, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

http://news.yahoo.com/occupy-wall-st...101015743.html

Occupy Wall Street is planning a massive march on May 1. They plan to block the bridges and tunnels into Manhattan that day, as well as march all over Manhattan.

I support what Occupy stands for, but what's the point of inconveniencing the 99% just trying to get to work? That's not going to win any new supporters, and would likely piss off supporters. The Holland and Lincoln tunnels are backed up 30 minutes on normal days, if the Occupy people block them by standing in the streets, it'll double or triple that time.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by nd2010
http://news.yahoo.com/occupy-wall-st...101015743.html

Occupy Wall Street is planning a massive march on May 1. They plan to block the bridges and tunnels into Manhattan that day, as well as march all over Manhattan.

I support what Occupy stands for, but what's the point of inconveniencing the 99% just trying to get to work? That's not going to win any new supporters, and would likely piss off supporters. The Holland and Lincoln tunnels are backed up 30 minutes on normal days, if the Occupy people block them by standing in the streets, it'll double or triple that time.
I would agree that obstructing traffic, many of which are commuters not of the 1%, is not a good way of promoting your cause. I'm glad I will not be leaving the island of Manhattan that day.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
(yawn) have they not all ODed yet?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What else do you expect from these <redacted>? Causing traffic havoc is their way of proving how important their message is? Ambulances, fire trucks, police will be blocked. How many women will be molested?

Last edited by dstan; Apr 24, 2012 at 6:46 pm Reason: please restrict political commentary to OMNI/PR
Old Apr 24, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I will be there.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I will be there.
^
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
They're also going to try and shut down the Golden Gate Bridge. I expect the CHP will be prepared for them out here (and I'll miss it entirely as I'll be in Ireland).
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

On November 17, Occupy Wallstreet had a similar mass-action. They "occupied" the subways and had big marches all over Manhattan converge on Zuccotti Park. Then they walked over the Brooklyn Bridge in the height of rush hour, snarling traffic for 2 hours.

I preferred it when they were all camped in Zuccotti Park, and in fact I visited that park a few times to see what it was about. I supported their cause since I too have been screwed by the recession. I learned a lot from talking to the people there. But now they're threatening to march all over the city and wreak havoc. The Wall Street executives they're targeting will be put up in a 5* hotel on the company dime on April 30 so that they won't be affected by the marches, but the 99% that have to get to our jobs will be stuck in traffic when they're walking in the middle of the road. I wish that the city would just allow them to stay in Zuccotti Park as a tourist attraction, and maybe have them be more responsible for keeping it clean and safe. Picket on the sidewalk of Wall Street and in front of bank offices or City Hall, hold rallies in parks, or even march through Times Square on the weekend, but why block the already congested bridges and tunnels. They're not going to gain supporters by inconveniencing us.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:54 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
NYC has a huge police force, with proper planning, they can prevent this stupidity from occurring. [If necessary, using police from surrounding areas, could come in handy.]
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:39 pm

Wirelessly posted (Verizon BlackBerry 9630: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.719 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

They're still relevant?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by Analise
What else do you expect from these <redacted>? Causing traffic havoc is their way of proving how important their message is? Ambulances, fire trucks, police will be blocked. How many women will be molested?
I saw some Critical mass bikers block an ambulance back in 2004 they refused to allow it to move until the cops had enough and took them down off their bikes. I fully support protesting except when you're endangering another persons life because of it..
Cheers
Howie
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by nrr
NYC has a huge police force, with proper planning, they can prevent this stupidity from occurring. [If necessary, using police from surrounding areas, could come in handy.]
The NYPD can only do so much. How can they prevent all of the violence (sexual and otherwise) and other illegal misconduct which is the trademark of these goons?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:02 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Analise
The NYPD can only do so much. How can they prevent all of the violence (sexual and otherwise) and other illegal misconduct which is the trademark of these goons?
Using the Lincoln Tunnel (NYC side) as an example, there are limited exit and entrance spots. If the police are in place hours before any of the goons arrive, and pedestrian approaches are totally blocked with barricades might serve as a deterrent. [I haven't (until now) given much thought to crowd control, but the police (using New Years eve as an example) have been successful for decades.]
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA
I saw them handing out newspapers this morning at the corner near Port Authority, I didn't take one, so I'm not sure what was in it, but I thought I hadn't heard anything from them for a while. I guess they were busy planning this?

Last edited by niftyknitter; Apr 26, 2012 at 1:33 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by niftyknitter
I saw them handing out newspapers this morning at the corner near Port Authority, I didn't take one, so I'm not sure what was in it, but I thought I hadn't heard anything from them for a while. I guess they were busy planning this?
Indeed, big demonstrations and protests planned. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.