Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nanny taxes standards?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Di, AA Plat, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Our moderator, dstan, has already requested that this thread not be personalized. While I have no interest in politics, I could be very tempted to throw 63-85% of the Park Slope population in prison, forget the nanny employers.

Anyone who ignores a penalty notice from the Workers Compensation Board is making a big mistake. The amount is not going to get smaller by itself. On the contrary, what could possibly have been negotiated downward will now increase and with collateral worse consequences. Many people think parking tickets are inconsequential as well but ignore just one and after a while, your car can be towed for it.

In case it's not already clear from this thread, your homeowner's insurance will not cover you for injuries sustained by a person in your employ whether or not she is on or off the books. Why play with fire?
Didn't mean to sound personal - apologies for that.

I should clarify that I am not ignoring the penalty notice. I am trying to negotiate it downward, as is the service we hired to deal with this stuff.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
We ended up hiring someone to take care of the paperwork partially out of fear of what you experienced!
How much is it?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
FYI, for those looking to hiring nannies above board, Senator Krueger has a helpful guide of the multiple steps you need to take: http://www.nysenate.gov/report/senat...ull-time-domes

It notes the need for insurance and the fines that can be accrued if you don't have it.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
How much is it?
We actually have two services. The payroll service is like $75 a quarter. They handle paystubs, tax forms, etc. The other service is an attorney who focuses on this kind of thing. We haven't gotten a bill yet, but they're a friend.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:19 pm

We actually have two services. The payroll service is like $75 a quarter. They handle paystubs, tax forms, etc. The other service is an attorney who focuses on this kind of thing. We haven't gotten a bill yet, but they're a friend.
We used one of the ones on p.49 of the Park Slope nanny report. Setup fee was around $800 and quarterly fees are in the ballpark of what Sampras mentioned.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KPhill
We used one of the ones on p.49 of the Park Slope nanny report. Setup fee was around $800 and quarterly fees are in the ballpark of what Sampras mentioned.
If you paid $800 for setup and you still ended up with a fine for $4000 I'd send them the bill!
Old Mar 4, 2012, 5:00 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Didn't mean to sound personal - apologies for that.

I should clarify that I am not ignoring the penalty notice. I am trying to negotiate it downward, as is the service we hired to deal with this stuff.
It's okay.

I am curious who is doing the negotiating for you. Very few people actually know anything about this. (Note well: I am not including myself in this category. I refer this out.)

What does your lawyer handle?

Setup fee of $800????? Paychex and ADP don't charge that to set up a small payroll. For what are you paying?

If you paid $800 for setup and you still ended up with a fine for $4000 I'd send them the bill!
Good luck with that.

Oh before I forget, in addition to Workers Compensation, you probably also need state-mandated Disability coverage. This is NOT the item for which there is a payroll deduction. That is Social Security Disability, a different thing.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

She handles telling us what we need to be compliance with the law (insurance and so forth).

I forgot that we also have a CPA.

Turns out having a "small business" (according to the State of New York) requires quite a lot of warm bodies to make it work.

Oh before I forget, in addition to Workers Compensation, you probably also need state-mandated Disability coverage. This is NOT the item for which there is a payroll deduction. That is Social Security Disability, a different thing.
When you refer to Workers Compensation you mean a private insurance policy to cover your nanny, yes?

---

I agree with you 100% that few people know exactly what you need. It's really amazing how much is involved to be above board. One would think there would be an incentive to make things a bit easier; perhaps higher compliance?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:30 am

xxxxxx

Setup fee of $800????? Paychex and ADP don't charge that to set up a small payroll. For what are you paying?

xxxxxxx

GTM handles all the payroll and supposedly all the interactions with the [redacted] in Albany. Plus they are supposed to handle all the docs and compliance, etc. Hence my annoyance with the $4k notice.

But this morning I have some tentatively good news. GTM called and said that they talked to someone at the Workers Comp Board and that the entire $4000 was waived! Supposedly the letter from Albany will come in the mail shortly.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:32 am
Original Poster

But this morning I have some tentatively good news. GTM called and said that they talked to someone at the Workers Comp Board and that the entire $4000 was waived! Supposedly the letter from Albany will come in the mail shortly.
^

Good stuff!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:45 pm

^

Good stuff!
Ok I am impressed. The letter came and they waived the entire $4000 fine! I take back the nasty things I said about the fine folks in Albany.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:06 am

Good luck with that.

She handles telling us what we need to be compliance with the law (insurance and so forth).
Then this is just an occasional consultation?

When you refer to Workers Compensation you mean a private insurance policy to cover your nanny, yes?
Yes. There are several that do it. Some payroll companies also have insurance brokerages and can get you a workers comp policy.

N.B. 1. You are subject to audit requirements once a year for this.

2. Again, this is not the disability policy you also need.

I agree with you 100% that few people know exactly what you need. It's really amazing how much is involved to be above board. One would think there would be an incentive to make things a bit easier; perhaps higher compliance?
Thanks. Tell that to Cuomo, Silver and Skelos. Good luck with that.

Should be
xxxxxx

xxxxxxx
GTM handles all the payroll and supposedly all the interactions with the [redacted] in Albany. Plus they are supposed to handle all the docs and compliance, etc. Hence my annoyance with the $4k notice.

Ok I am impressed. The letter came and they waived the entire $4000 fine! I take back the nasty things I said about the fine folks in Albany.

I don't know what you mean by "[redacted]." What was redacted, someone's name or some colorful language meaning essentially, "jerks?"

If GTM got $4,000 reduced to zero, confirmed by the Workers Compensation Board, that tells me two things: 1. they did a good job; and 2. the State of New York is not cracking down on nanny employers who make an effort to comply. Trust me, they were going for blood in 2011 against every small business and nothing was negotiated down to zero.

By the way, I looked at GTM's website and I didn't see any $800 set up fees.

Don't forget the disability coverage!

By the way, are they filing an NYS-45 for you every quarter?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Then this is just an occasional consultation?
I don't understand your question. I don't consult with this person everyday, no.

2. the State of New York is not cracking down on nanny employers who make an effort to comply. Trust me, they were going for blood in 2011 against every small business and nothing was negotiated down to zero.
This is part of the problem. Suggesting, at the state level, that nanny employers are a small business is silly. There should be a distinction between nanny employers and other small businesses, IMHO.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:58 am

I don't understand your question. I don't consult with this person everyday, no.
What I'm suggesting is that most nanny employers do not have to call a lawyer once a week or even once a month.

This is part of the problem. Suggesting, at the state level, that nanny employers are a small business is silly. There should be a distinction between nanny employers and other small businesses, IMHO.
I would agree with you that if the state wants increased compliance it needs to find an easier way for people to comply.

I most emphatically do not agree that people who employ workers, whether child care or otherwise and knowingly and willfully do not comply with the laws regarding taxes and insurance should get any better treatment than any other employers.

By the way, recently I needed a tree limb cut down in my garden. I asked the tree service for insurance certificates (workers comp, liability, etc.) and they provided them with no hesitation.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

I would agree with you that if the state wants increased compliance it needs to find an easier way for people to comply.
Yep.

I most emphatically do not agree that people who employ workers, whether child care or otherwise and knowingly and willfully do not comply with the laws regarding taxes and insurance should get any better treatment than any other employers.
You must be emphatically disagreeing with someone else, because I never said anything close to that. In fact, I agree with you. There is no excuse for knowingly and willfully breaking the law (like so many do in this city regarding nannies, if the survey data is accurate).

But this is not to say that it is easy to comply or even easy to know what the laws are. That's the problem. I have a Ph.D. and find this stuff pretty complicated. My comment relates simply to this cumbersome and frankly opaque process. Expecting parents to know about small business law, employment procedures, etc. is a bit much. The process should be easier and made more clear.

And then to come after people with $4000 fines when they've been trying to comply with said opaque process is even worse.

By the way, recently I needed a tree limb cut down in my garden. I asked the tree service for insurance certificates (workers comp, liability, etc.) and they provided them with no hesitation.
Should parents be placed in a similar category as tree limb companies? I would suggest no. This is not to say that they should not need insurance but rather the procedures and policies should be clarified and simplified.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.