Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:56 pm

I'm going to be transiting through EWR in a couple days from a domestic flight (YOW -> EWR) and an international flight (NRT -> EWR) on UA and have a few questions:
  1. My domestic flight arrives in Terminal A, I'm aware that there's a UA bus that takes you airside to Terminal C. Will the bus drop you off at intermediate terminals (i.e. Terminal B?. Are there any good *A Gold lounges at EWR (other than the UA Clubs I have access to) that are open in the morning (I've got 3 hours to burn)?
  2. My international flight arrives into Terminal B and my next flight takes off from Terminal A. Is it possible to re-clear security at Terminal B or C then take the United bus to Terminal A? The last time I was at EWR, it took over an hour to clear Terminal A security with pre-check. I suspect that's because TSA is divided up in Terminal A between the various concourses services by the different airlines. Any advice on how to get through security quicker at EWR?
Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I'm going to be transiting through EWR in a couple days from a domestic flight (YOW -> EWR) and an international flight (NRT -> EWR) on UA and have a few questions:
  1. My domestic flight arrives in Terminal A, I'm aware that there's a UA bus that takes you airside to Terminal C. Will the bus drop you off at intermediate terminals (i.e. Terminal B?. Are there any good *A Gold lounges at EWR (other than the UA Clubs I have access to) that are open in the morning (I've got 3 hours to burn)?
  2. My international flight arrives into Terminal B and my next flight takes off from Terminal A. Is it possible to re-clear security at Terminal B or C then take the United bus to Terminal A? The last time I was at EWR, it took over an hour to clear Terminal A security with pre-check. I suspect that's because TSA is divided up in Terminal A between the various concourses services by the different airlines. Any advice on how to get through security quicker at EWR?
Safe Travels,

James
You must have hit a really bad day at EWR Terminal A. It's never taken me more than 5 or 10 minutes to get through security at Terminal A (UAX gates). I would suggest simply heading over to A on the AirTrain straight from B after customs.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
YOW to EWR - AC or UA, if AC, you are not going to be able to catch the airside bus. AC operates out of A1 concourse of Terminal A, while UX operates out of A2 - not connected.

Your flight to NRT will leave from C.

Your return from NRT will arrive in B or C, but 95% will be B. You will have to clear immigration and customs and transfer back landside, back to Terminal A.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:23 pm

Best Terminal B Lounge

Priority Pass announced today that travelers can use the Virgin Atlantic lounge from 2-6 PM in Terminal B so this is great news! Would this unseat the Lufthansa lounge as the best lounge in the terminal?
Old Jun 16, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Priority Pass announced today that travelers can use the Virgin Atlantic lounge from 2-6 PM in Terminal B so this is great news! Would this unseat the Lufthansa lounge as the best lounge in the terminal?
I would google the reviews for the Virgin lounge at LAX. For the Priority Pass hours they significantly water down the food and beverage options, so I wouldn't count on that.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:22 am

EWR airside bus from Terminal B to Terminal C

Flying LH business Terminal B out of EWR...can I go to the new Polaris Lounge in Terminal C? Is there an airside bus? thank you...
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:38 pm

TSA web site says that Precheck in Terminal C is only at C1.Is this really true? A new development?
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
IIRC, the one time I took the bus (from Terminal B, actually), they said it ran every 10 minutes. Don't quote me on that, though.

With regards to travel time...you make 2 stops in Terminal B (one where the couple of domestic UA gates that they took from DL are, and one on the *A international departure area). To get from the first stop in Terminal B to Terminal C, it probably did not take longer than 5-7 minutes. Going to Terminal A probably adds at most another few minutes (as you are going from A2 to B1). It will also depend on how many people are on the bus and at what time.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
If I'm departing from Terminal B, I know none of the 3 concourses are accessible to one another post security. However, will I be allowed to use the security line there anyways? I want to access B3 before my flight which departs B2 (I'l have enough time to leave and re-clear but want to see a friend off).
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by daniela m
Flying LH business Terminal B out of EWR...can I go to the new Polaris Lounge in Terminal C? Is there an airside bus? thank you...
Yes, you can go to Polaris Lounge, and yes, you there is an airside bus (leaving/arriving at Gate C71 in Terminal C).

Originally Posted by jonu
TSA web site says that Precheck in Terminal C is only at C1.Is this really true? A new development?
If you want to get to the PreCheck lane, you will want to go to C2. Not sure it is formally designated as such before security, but it's the middle of the 3 entries into Terminal C.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
If I'm departing from Terminal B, I know none of the 3 concourses are accessible to one another post security. However, will I be allowed to use the security line there anyways? I want to access B3 before my flight which departs B2 (I'l have enough time to leave and re-clear but want to see a friend off).
Unsure, but why subject yourself to this? The Terminal B security checks are terrible to get through...is it worth twice the trouble?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:35 am

Hello Newark pros!

I have never transited through Newark before, but will be doing so next month. I have a United flight from TYS-EWR arr. 1pm, then a 7-hr layover until my 8pm flight EWR-MAD. Best I can tell at this time, it looks like both flights will use Terminal C at Newark. However, I am a Priority Pass member and would like to pass the long layover using one of the clubs (preferably the Air Canada lounge in Terminal A or the Virgin Atlantic Lounge in Terminal B). Will it be possible for me to access one of those? One thing to note: my flights are separate vs one reservation, so at some point I'll have to go landside and re-check. I'm mainly curious whether I can: a) move between terminals airside once I'm checked in, or b) check-in and go through security in a different terminal than I will ultimately depart from. Finally, I don't know if it matters, but I have pre-check.

I've looked for an answer to this online, and can't seem to find anything definitive. The only thing I can seem to find is an EWR map on the United website showing that there is airside transit (bus) that stops at all 3 terminals. But I can't seem to discover for sure whether it's limited to certain passengers. Also whether all parts of the B terminal are accessible airside, or whether it's divided and separate.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:05 pm

Has anyone flown Austrian Airlines from EWR? Do they have check in counters for luggage drop off and ticketing or do they use Lufthansa Airlines ones....and how early do they open.
Thank you so much for any help you can give me.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
  • When did Terminal B get rid of MPC? Didn't see it.
  • When did Terminal B get rid of unified customs/immigration? It's back to passport control --> baggage claim --> customs
  • When did Terminal B get rid of pre-check?

Originally Posted by daniela m
Has anyone flown Austrian Airlines from EWR? Do they have check in counters for luggage drop off and ticketing or do they use Lufthansa Airlines ones....and how early do they open.
Thank you so much for any help you can give me.
They sit "next" to the LH counters.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:59 pm

Booked a trip to Osaka for a sweet deal (combined with my Aventura points). Was able to get two RT tickets for $1230 with United airlines.

I am flying out of YYZ so customs will be done there prior to flying out.

A little worried about a 1hr20min layover in EWR terminal A. Have to head to terminal C for a flight to Tokyo. Will that be enough time? Do I have to recheck my bags or are they going straight to Tokyo (where I'm assuming I have to recheck my bags there since I'll be flying on ANA to Osaka from there).

Any suggestions/ recommendations for making the connection?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by leafs123
Booked a trip to Osaka for a sweet deal (combined with my Aventura points). Was able to get two RT tickets for $1230 with United airlines.

I am flying out of YYZ so customs will be done there prior to flying out.

A little worried about a 1hr20min layover in EWR terminal A. Have to head to terminal C for a flight to Tokyo. Will that be enough time? Do I have to recheck my bags or are they going straight to Tokyo (where I'm assuming I have to recheck my bags there since I'll be flying on ANA to Osaka from there).

Any suggestions/ recommendations for making the connection?
The bags will be checked through to Tokyo and maybe even Osaka (not sure how they are handled at NRT). The 1:20 connection is enough as it's and airside transfer via bus and those morning flights are often early. With a weather delay, all bets are off obviously.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.