Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by oziman
... leave the traffic analysis to others - might want to ask in the NYC forum
On a clear & dry Sunday morning, if your hotel is midtown on the East Side, I would say allow 1 hour to get to EWR (via Lincoln Tunnel, check to make sure there's no weekend tube/land closure or overnight construction or shutdown) and on the West Side near the Lincoln, 45 minutes should be suffice - a good driver familiar with all the shortcuts & options/detour can do it in 45/30 minutes.

Book directly ahead of time with Carmel car service (which we use ourselves - free mobile apps available - on different occassion) or if you prefer, Dial 7 - instead of dealing with the yellow/green taxi. Their dispatchers & fellow drivers will alert each other of escalating traffic problems, detours & offer you the option of the quickest way in getting you to EWR.

Just do OLCI ahead of time to make the rest, including bag checks, a bit easier even when flying F or J - have a safe one!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Does anyone know if there is a way (shuttle) to between A1 and A2 (or A1 and C) airside? I am flying on a AC flight and was wondering if there is a way to use an RCC and head to the flight without going through security again.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by expressboy
Does anyone know if there is a way (shuttle) to between A1 and A2 (or A1 and C) airside? I am flying on a AC flight and was wondering if there is a way to use an RCC and head to the flight without going through security again.
pretty sure there isn't a shuttle
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation no shuttle

Originally Posted by sriegert
pretty sure there isn't a shuttle
Correct, there is no shuttle. I spent 1/2 a day there today (felt like an eternity!) and this part of EWR is a real armpit:
- there is no TSA Pre security screening in Terminal A (each of 3 distinct security checkpoints);
- no secure "air side" shuttles between them (NB there is a United airside secure shuttle linking Terminal C to the UA gates in A);
- the AC gates are with JetBlue in one of the pods, UA in the 2nd and American/US in the 3rd pod;
- the furniture and carpets and furniture are worn out and thread bare.
Welcome to Newark!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2mm
methinks different

Originally Posted by expressboy
Last I looked there was a shuttle, but as noted above. it's a UA deal. I believe it terminates near the middle of terminal C (gate side). Because the security lines at C can be maddeningly long, it's worth researching whether you can utilize this. Sorry for the foggy reply.

Last edited by misdirected baggage; Jan 31, 2014 at 7:09 pm Reason: correction
Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:10 pm

Question methinks different??

Sorry, misdirected baggage, you had trouble reading this:

(NB there is a United airside secure shuttle linking Terminal C to the UA gates in A)

How is this different?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:31 pm
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
For anyone looking for info on baggage storage:

Originally Posted by cordelli
Not a clue if this is accurate or not, but I've seen it posted in many forums for years, may be worth a call

The company is called NBS Storage and Delivery and they have a desk at Carousel #1 Arrivals level, at Newark International Airport. They don't have a web site, so if you need additional information, call them at (908) 933-0503. They open at 7am and close at 1am.
They are still active but for Terminal C only. $10 for a bag under 50 pounds, $5 for a second piece.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:13 am

Family of 6 travelling to YYT through EWR in July. I have a couple of flight options. Is a 1 hour 15 minute connection time doable through EWR with a Family?

Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by DanielWRyan
Family of 6 travelling to YYT through EWR in July. I have a couple of flight options. Is a 1 hour 15 minute connection time doable through EWR with a Family?

Thanks
More details necessary? Inbound carrier, origin city and outbound carrier? If all on United - shouldn't be a problem (if inbound isn't late as you will likely land/take off from Term C.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
More details necessary? Inbound carrier, origin city and outbound carrier? If all on United - shouldn't be a problem (if inbound isn't late as you will likely land/take off from Term C.
Coming in from SDF on United Express. I think it usually comes into Terminal A. Flying on United to YYT.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DanielWRyan
Coming in from SDF on United Express. I think it usually comes into Terminal A. Flying on United to YYT.
Will be tight but possible, assuming the inbound is on time. The YYT flight is mainline so it'll be in terminal C. That means getting off the plane at A, waiting for any gate-checked bags, getting to the bus transfer, making that transfer and then getting to the gate in C.

Possible, but I'd be wary of delays. Especially as the inbound regional flights are the first to be affected and YYT is a once-daily route without a lot of alternatives that late in the afternoon.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Will be tight but possible, assuming the inbound is on time. The YYT flight is mainline so it'll be in terminal C. That means getting off the plane at A, waiting for any gate-checked bags, getting to the bus transfer, making that transfer and then getting to the gate in C.

Possible, but I'd be wary of delays. Especially as the inbound regional flights are the first to be affected and YYT is a once-daily route without a lot of alternatives that late in the afternoon.
I'll keep the earlier flight, I'm pretty annoyed that originally I was going to be able to fly from SDF to EWR and have a 3 hour layover (which gives a lot of time to account for any delays). Then they changed the schedule. On the plus side we should get into YYT much earlier, on the down side, we may have some overtired/cranky kids.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:39 pm

Exclamation

EWR is becoming more difficult to navigate:
- the sky train from the Amtrak station only runs every 15 minutes after midnight! Big inconvenience;
- the security lines in Terminal A today were insane, and there is no TSA Pre priority lanes.
Has anyone contact the Port Authority to fix these problems?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
EWR is becoming more difficult to navigate:
- the sky train from the Amtrak station only runs every 15 minutes after midnight! Big inconvenience;
- the security lines in Terminal A today were insane, and there is no TSA Pre priority lanes.
Has anyone contact the Port Authority to fix these problems?
AirTrain is notoriously unreliable during off-peak hours because they're frequently going to single-track service while they perform seemingly endless maintenance. Don't think PANYNJ isn't aware of it - they're just not in any position to do anything about it.

Same goes for the checkpoints at Terminal A. When you are forced to retrofit a modern checkpoint into a space that was never designed for it (the walkways leading from the main terminal area to each gate 'pod'), you're going to end up with congestion. And I'd love for you to tell me exactly WHERE you add PreCheck* lanes at those checkpoints. The only way to fix the problems in Terminal A is to rip down the 'pods' and start fresh.

*Pet peeve: People, it's PreCHECK. Not Pre. TSA insists on using a graphic for the 'check' part of the name, but please - stop calling it 'Pre'.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:45 am

Question Reply from Port Authority

Originally Posted by Critic
AirTrain is notoriously unreliable during off-peak hours because they're frequently going to single-track service while they perform seemingly endless maintenance. Don't think PANYNJ isn't aware of it - they're just not in any position to do anything about it.
The reply (below) from the PA says as much:

During the time you were travelling, our system was in a shuttle mode. During this mode, three trains serve the system, and it is an average of 15 minutes between trains.
This shuttle mode is necessary for maintenance technicians to safely perform critical preventive and corrective maintenance on the system. Further, we are working on updating signage in each station to show the scheduled service times. For an electronic schedule, please visit: http://www.airtrainnewark.com

Why 15 minutes? It does not take 15 minutes to do the circuit! Why can't they reduce it to 10 minutes??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.