The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by jonu
1. Correct on your assessment of Air Train.
2. Assuming your connection in A is on United, yes, there is a bus to the part of Terminal A out of which United flies.
3. No way to run to (easily) Terminal A from Terminal C. Would require exiting and reentering security, and terminals are not designed for walking from one to another.
I have the opposite problem, flying into Terminal A (probably) and going to Terminal C for connection. How does one find the shuttle bus to transfer between terminals? I understand from above that taking the train would require me to go through security again.

I've read somewhere that the bus situation is chaotic with lots of people waiting for buses that don't have much capacity, and people not waiting in line properly?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by zitsky
I have the opposite problem, flying into Terminal A (probably) and going to Terminal C for connection. How does one find the shuttle bus to transfer between terminals? I understand from above that taking the train would require me to go through security again.

I've read somewhere that the bus situation is chaotic with lots of people waiting for buses that don't have much capacity, and people not waiting in line properly?
If you're flying UA, there will be signage in their pier of Terminal A for the shuttle bus (I think last I remember, it was at the bottom of the walkway heading toward the landside exit).

If you're not flying UA...you're boned. They don't run the shuttle to any of the other piers in A.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
5 am departure on US airways

I have a 5am departure on US Airways coming up this Sunday morning.

Any thoughts on the best strategy assuming I'm coming from Manhattan? It appears that the NJ transit/direct train from penn station do not run after 2AM so I'm not sure what my best option is - go at 2am so as to be sure to make flight? - get (3 am?, 3:30AM?) direct bus from Port Authority or Grand Central?

is there ANY rail option between 2AM and 5AM as I hate buses and like trains :-)

does the local bus from newark penn station to the airport run 24 hours and how safe is it to 'hang out' at newark penn station waiting for a bus?

Last edited by catharsis; Jul 7, 2015 at 5:57 pm
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by catharsis
I have a 5am departure on US Airways coming up this Sunday morning.

Any thoughts on the best strategy assuming I'm coming from Manhattan? It appears that the NJ transit/direct train from penn station do not run after 2AM so I'm not sure what my best option is - go at 2am so as to be sure to make flight? - get (3 am?, 3:30AM?) direct bus from Port Authority or Grand Central?

is there ANY rail option between 2AM and 5AM as I hate buses and like trains :-)

does the local bus from newark penn station to the airport run 24 hours and how safe is it to 'hang out' at newark penn station waiting for a bus?
Unless there is a suspension for overnight maintenance, the PATH (Port Authority Trans-Hudson) trains should be running from Manhattan to Newark. (A transfer at Jersey City will be required, unless you board down at the old World Trade Center station.)

You can view the #62 bus schedule from Newark Penn Station to EWR at http://www.njtransit.com

The other, more expensive option is Amtrak Regional train #67 (the old "Night Owl"), which is scheduled to depart NYP at 3:00 AM, and arrive EWR Rail Station at 3:36 AM. Check Amtrak's website for fares.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Unless there is a suspension for overnight maintenance, the PATH (Port Authority Trans-Hudson) trains should be running from Manhattan to Newark. (A transfer at Jersey City will be required, unless you board down at the old World Trade Center station.)

You can view the #62 bus schedule from Newark Penn Station to EWR at http://www.njtransit.com

The other, more expensive option is Amtrak Regional train #67 (the old "Night Owl"), which is scheduled to depart NYP at 3:00 AM, and arrive EWR Rail Station at 3:36 AM. Check Amtrak's website for fares.
OK, so PATH from WTC or Penn to Newark Penn, then #62 bus is a possibility - that could work.

I would love the amtrak solution but could not get the amtrak web page to quote me a fare at that time, and when I look at the amtrak timetable at http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/809/144/...-Fall-2015.pdf it looks as if the #65/67 (depending on day, but the 3AM departure from NY Penn) does NOT stop at EWR but only at 'newark, NJ' and at 'metropark, NJ' ?

And I think that the newark, nj referred to here is the same Newark Penn station from which there is no NJ Transit service to EWR train station between 2AM and 5AM so I am back to the same #62 bus?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by guv1976

OK, so PATH from WTC or Penn to Newark Penn, then #62 bus is a possibility - that could work.

I would love the amtrak solution but could not get the amtrak web page to quote me a fare at that time, and when I look at the amtrak timetable at http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/809/144/...-Fall-2015.pdf it looks as if the #65/67 (depending on day, but the 3AM departure from NY Penn) does NOT stop at EWR but only at 'newark, NJ' and at 'metropark, NJ' ?

And I think that the newark, nj referred to here is the same Newark Penn station from which there is no NJ Transit service to EWR train station between 2AM and 5AM so I am back to the same #62 bus?
My apologies! I misread the schedule. The 3:36 AM arrival time is at Metropark, not EWR. Under those circumstances, PATH (if it is running) to the #62 bus is probably the way to go.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:33 pm

It looks like you are correct about Amtrak.

As long as you leave enough time, PATH + 62 should be fine. I have traveled through Newark Penn Station at that time, a few times; while there may be a lot of transients sleeping there, and the atmosphere isn't great, I haven't seen anyone cause any problems. Still, you may want to take the last NJT train of the night since taking PATH + 62 doesn't really buy you that much time.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would love the amtrak solution but could not get the amtrak web page to quote me a fare at that time
I just checked Amtrak and not only do they not have service when you need it, the cost of the ticket, assuming there were service, makes one want to consider car service instead.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
At that time of day, a car service or taxi to EWR will be soooo much faster than PATH + bus. If you can swing the cost, that would be my strong recommendation.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Agree. There shouldn't be any traffic at all at that hour.

BUT - the Holland Tunnel and Pulaski Skyway are closed for maintenance lately on the weekend. I would check to make sure any cab driver uses the Lincoln Tunnel.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
the Holland Tunnel and Pulaski Skyway are closed for maintenance lately on the weekend. I would check to make sure any cab driver uses the Lincoln Tunnel.
thanks! - useful to know if I am pressed for time.
Originally Posted by physioprof
At that time of day, a car service or taxi to EWR will be soooo much faster than PATH + bus. If you can swing the cost, that would be my strong recommendation.
Originally Posted by Analise
the cost of the ticket, assuming there were service, makes one want to consider car service instead.
A town car is the obvious option and probably the most likely choice at the end of the day - but I'm looking for alternative options which is why i made my initial post. While I'm always reluctant to say money is no object - the difference in cost between a $10 subway fare and a $100 driver is not a large factor in the decision.
Originally Posted by NoName678
As long as you leave enough time, PATH + 62 should be fine. I have traveled through Newark Penn Station at that time, a few times; while there may be a lot of transients sleeping there, and the atmosphere isn't great, I haven't seen anyone cause any problems. Still, you may want to take the last NJT train of the night since taking PATH + 62 doesn't really buy you that much time.
thanks, good to know - I may or may not spring for a hotel in the city for the night anyway, even though likely leaving around 2AM - so the transport costs are inconsequential.... I'm almost more looking for 'how to kill time but still make a 5AM flight in EWR' - but the advice on tunnels etc is useful if I do decide to get a hotel and a later car.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
If price isn't a factor for you, absolutely take a car service or taxi. The idea of using PATH and local NJ bus rides to "kill time" is really misguided, in my opinion, as there is nothing interesting, fun, etc, about PATH and local NJ bus rides. They are just smelly, noisy, dirty, and annoying.

If you want to kill time and not need to get a hotel room, you can hang out at one of the many cool bars/taverns in NYC that are open until 4AM. Suggestions are Old Town Bar (18th Street just West of Park Avenue), Pete's Tavern (18th Street just East of Irving Place), and PJ Clarke's (55th Street and 3rd Avenue). Note that PJ Clarke's is a major local and tourist destination, and so during cocktail and dinner hours can get uncomfortably crowded, Old Town Bar and Pete's tend to be more sedate.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:53 am

Airline lounge - Terminal A1

For all the Terminal A experts, it's been a while since I've flown out of Terminal A, as I tend to only fly United out of C, but I've heard mixed reports that the club in A1 is closed. Is that true? i was planning on buying a day pass, but if it is closed, is it possible to use the United Club (where I have a membership) at A2 and going back over to A1. I know it's going back through TSA, but I have a long-ish wait, so could probably afford the time. Will TSA give me a hassle, or will I need to go over to UA and have them give me a gate pass? Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by JeffVic
For all the Terminal A experts, it's been a while since I've flown out of Terminal A, as I tend to only fly United out of C, but I've heard mixed reports that the club in A1 is closed. Is that true? i was planning on buying a day pass, but if it is closed, is it possible to use the United Club (where I have a membership) at A2 and going back over to A1. I know it's going back through TSA, but I have a long-ish wait, so could probably afford the time. Will TSA give me a hassle, or will I need to go over to UA and have them give me a gate pass? Thanks!
Yes, the UC in A1 is closed.

You should be able to get through TSA at A2 to go to the UC as long as you have a valid boarding pass for that day, but remember that:
A) you'll have to clear security again at A1, and
B) WN currently flies out of A1, so the line at the checkpoint can be lousy with kettles at pretty much any time

It's probably not worth trying unless you've got lots of extra time AND Precheck.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Critic
Yes, the UC in A1 is closed.

You should be able to get through TSA at A2 to go to the UC as long as you have a valid boarding pass for that day, but remember that:
A) you'll have to clear security again at A1, and
B) WN currently flies out of A1, so the line at the checkpoint can be lousy with kettles at pretty much any time

It's probably not worth trying unless you've got lots of extra time AND Precheck.
Thanks for the help here.

I do have pre-check (although who knows if it'll be on my boarding pass, as my last trip it didn't appear, even though it was in my record). Unfortunately, I am flying WN (against my wishes, better judgement, sanity, etc...) so I was hoping to get a little peace before the flight. I'll see how it goes! Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.