Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Right between the two lines & clearly marked there were 2 Global Entry kisoks and no one waiting! After GE, you will need to wait for your checked bag and I have no idea how long that takes?
The OP will be on a non-US passport and there is no indication that they have Global Entry; I'm not sure how this is helpful information.

I'd put the odds of making the 2 hour connection at less than 50%. The inbound flight may arrive at Terminal B which means transferring to Terminal C (or possibly A, if UA Express) before the onward connection; that takes more time. I'd have a back-up plan ready.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: MilesandMore Senator
Thanks Antonio8069 and sbm12, I appreciate the feedback.

There are later alternatives if I miss my two hour connection, so I guess I'll just cross my fingers, hope for the best and be prepared to arrive late at my final destination!
Old Mar 31, 2013, 1:50 am

Hi! I am trying to decide between UA 78 NRT-EWR or UA804 NRT-IAD. The layover for both would be approx. 90 mins. My question is whether you all know if there is a special lane when you get to Immigration for diplomatic passport holders in DTW? My next question might need to be redirected to a different thread somewhere. Would anyone have experience with these flights and suggest one over the other? I might use miles to upgrade, are these flights usually full? Thanks for your time and the help!

Last edited by mominthecity; Mar 31, 2013 at 2:12 am
Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:47 pm

Both EWR and IAD have special immigration lanes for diplomatic passport holders IME. What does DTW have to do with any of it?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:56 pm

Sorry. I was also looking at a DL flight thru DTW. Got confused writing. Just wondering if 90 mins. is enough time to get thru EWR's Immigration and catch a connecting flight. Would we have to pick up our bags and recheck (similar to ORD) for int'l arrivals? I was looking at EWR's terminal map for UA. Is it right that UA has int'l arrivals in Terminal B & C? So I would either stay in Terminal C for a connecting domestic flight (United Express also listed here) or take a tram and go to Terminal A for the connection? There's also a flight into EWR with a 3 hr+layover and didn't know if that made more sense. Thanks again for the help.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:02 pm

You might make the 90 minute connection, but probably not, especially with checked bags. I'd book the 3 hour connection without much concern.

Yes, you collect your bags.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:50 pm

Ok. Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
If arriving at Terminal C on United, is 2 hours enough time to connect to BA at Terminal B and would bags be checked all the way from AUA to LHR?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by botham
If arriving at Terminal C on United, is 2 hours enough time to connect to BA at Terminal B and would bags be checked all the way from AUA to LHR?
A call to UA will tell you if UA has an interline baggage agreement with BA, and what the MCT is at EWR from UA to BA.

But, as I noted in your thread in the BA forum, since you would be on separate tickets, this is a very risky plan. In the event a delay or cancellation of the AUA-EWR flight causes you to miss your BA connection, neither UA nor BA would be obligated to protect you. You could then be looking at buying two very expensive one-way tickets from EWR to LHR.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
TSA checkpoint hours for US Air

I have a US Air flight at 5am on a Saturday -- just wondering if anyone knows when the TSA checkpoint for US's gates opens up.

Thanks!
Old May 7, 2013, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
A handful of EWR questions - an airport I haven't left (except to an airport hotel) in many years.

(1) What should I expect my travel time to be to lower Manhattan on a Saturday late afternoon?

(2) I have used Dial 7 from JFK several times, without incident of note, and am considering same from EWR. Comments? Alternatives?

(3) What should I expect my travel time to be for the return trip on a Monday morning? (10-ish AM flight departure)

(4) What would be a reasonable arrival time at the airport - no Pre-check, but I assume a priority security line. (A30-39 pier) - Also, what is down that pier to kill time. (Most of my prior experience at EWR was in the A gates with the old UA, and the RCC).

Mahalo
Old May 7, 2013, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A handful of EWR questions - an airport I haven't left (except to an airport hotel) in many years.

(1) What should I expect my travel time to be to lower Manhattan on a Saturday late afternoon?

(2) I have used Dial 7 from JFK several times, without incident of note, and am considering same from EWR. Comments? Alternatives?

(3) What should I expect my travel time to be for the return trip on a Monday morning? (10-ish AM flight departure)

(4) What would be a reasonable arrival time at the airport - no Pre-check, but I assume a priority security line. (A30-39 pier) - Also, what is down that pier to kill time. (Most of my prior experience at EWR was in the A gates with the old UA, and the RCC).

Mahalo
How much luggage will you be taking? Is rail transportation an option for you? The PATH train operates from Newark Penn Station to World Trade Center station; trip time is 22 minutes in either direction.

If you would like to drive yourself to EWR Monday morning, you can probably get a one-way rental from lower Manhattan to EWR for about $25-27 + tax and gas.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976

How much luggage will you be taking? Is rail transportation an option for you? The PATH train operates from Newark Penn Station to World Trade Center station; trip time is 22 minutes in either direction.

If you would like to drive yourself to EWR Monday morning, you can probably get a one-way rental from lower Manhattan to EWR for about $25-27 + tax and gas.
I will just have a rollerbag and laptop bag, but I'm not going to want to deal with rental car return.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

I will just have a rollerbag and laptop bag, but I'm not going to want to deal with rental car return.
OK. If you're staying near the WTC site, a taxi from your EWR terminal to Newark Penn Station, followed by the PATH train to WTC station is a possibility. The taxi would probably take about 10-15 minutes. The train, as noted, takes 22 minutes; on Saturday afternoon, I believe the PATH train runs every 15 minutes. Total cost would be less than half the price of a car service or taxi from EWR to lower Manhattan. Hard to say which would be faster, since traffic conditions on the roadways and through the Holland Tunnel can vary considerably. How important is the convenience of a one-seat ride to you?
Old May 8, 2013, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How important is the convenience of a one-seat ride to you?
Total elapsed travel time is probably the most important thing, followed by convenience. (Does anyone have answers to the other Qs?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.