Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New York City Transit Museum (info)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
New York City Transit Museum (info)

If you've been to the museum, you know it's a treasure. If you're headed to NYC, check this out. http://www.mta.info/mta/museum/

Calendar of Events ... http://www.mta.info/mta/museum/programs.htm

Here's just one example... New YorkTransit Museum's 18th Annual Bus Festival at Atlantic Antic
Sun, Oct. 2, 10 am to 5 pm

Boerum Place between State Street and Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn. Free Admission.

Our fleet of vintage buses will be the stars at this annual event that includes kids' workshops, free bus tours, and more. With Brooklyn's largest street fair, the Atlantic Antic, just around the corner, this is always a fun-filled day!
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That's my birthday. Maybe we'll head to Brooklyn. I've been to the Transit Museum at GCT and it's such a treasure.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Can't speak for the main museum, but, seconding Analise, the one in GCT is definitely worth a look, especially at the holidays when they set up the model train exhibit. Pretty impressive for the size of the facility. The one in the CitiGroup Center was very good, too, but I think they ceased exhibiting in 2009, citing cost-cutting.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 3:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've been going to the main museum in Brooklyn since I was a child and it's always a treat for me. I went a couple years back and was amazed at how quickly the time passed while I was there. One of my favorite parts is looking at the vintage ads on the vintage trains. Good times right there.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
MTA New York City Transit Runs Special Vintage Buses for the Holidays

http://mta.info/news/stories/?story=497

Last night, I was walking near Rockefeller Center and spotted an "old look" GM transit bus on the road. Now I understand I was seeing Bus 9098 on a real, revenue-operating run. It was nostalgic as I remember riding old look GMs in Honolulu.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:27 am

Yes, I saw one of them just yesterday! Ok, now I know why!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
http://mta.info/news/stories/?story=497

Last night, I was walking near Rockefeller Center and spotted an "old look" GM transit bus on the road. Now I understand I was seeing Bus 9098 on a real, revenue-operating run. It was nostalgic as I remember riding old look GMs in Honolulu.
The MTA is at the forefront of 1958 motor vehicle safety standards.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
The MTA is at the forefront of 1958 motor vehicle safety standards.
Somehow I imagine the 1958 standards might be of higher stringency than today's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.