Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Port Authority raises NY-NJ bridge & tunnel tolls (from Sep 18, 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Port Authority raises NY-NJ bridge & tunnel tolls (from Sep 18, 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Analise
At least on the weekends or evenings, just find street parking in Jersey City and take the PATH. Who needs that crap?
I usually park in Harrison and take the PATH from there. Annoying when I'm going to midtown because I need to transfer at Journal Square. More annoying on the way back because it's always a long wait.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I usually park in Harrison and take the PATH from there. Annoying when I'm going to midtown because I need to transfer at Journal Square. More annoying on the way back because it's always a long wait.
Is there convenient on-street parking in Harrison?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
Is there convenient on-street parking in Harrison?
There's a (still) free parking garage which is really nice. They will start charging for it soon (probably). But it's most convenient for me, unless someone from the family can drive me to Harrison. That's always best.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:43 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Exclamation

Reminder: Toll hikes coming up this Sunday.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unhappy

Originally Posted by dstan
:'( What's the final story for EZ-Pass and car-pool? How much they going up to?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Originally Posted by dstan
:'( What's the final story for EZ-Pass and car-pool? How much they going up to?
Our intrepid moderator, dstan, was kind enough to post the new toll schedule in the OP.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
New toll hikes coming up next week. I would like to think they are paying for the Lincoln tunnel repairs that seem to happen after 9 pm. But if these hikes are to pay for the pensions outlined above in this thread then I feel like a chump.

There is no other way to drive into the city except to pay these tolls. Seems like they don't want residents to commute over the borders. Just stay put in the state you claim residency in. How boring.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:59 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
That "don't slow down on the Henry Hudson Bridge, we'll bill you in the mail" deal seems kind of old fashioned.

How do they handle rentals? Or if I borrow a friend's car? And what happens if the toll doesn't get paid?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
That "don't slow down on the Henry Hudson Bridge, we'll bill you in the mail" deal seems kind of old fashioned.

How do they handle rentals? Or if I borrow a friend's car? And what happens if the toll doesn't get paid?
Doesn't sound too old-fashioned to me. Old fashioned is the whole toll (except EZ-Pass). They should have a better system though linked to the license number.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
With rentals you'll probably get a bill from the rental company several months later, and it's likely to include some sort of processing fee or surcharge like an unpaid parking ticket.

So I'd stay away from the HHB if you're in a rental and not already using an EZ Pass transponder.

If you're in a friend's car, the friend will probably get the bill and need to track you down.

If bills aren't paid on time, they can levy late fees and penalties.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 1:52 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by themicah
With rentals you'll probably get a bill from the rental company several months later, and it's likely to include some sort of processing fee or surcharge like an unpaid parking ticket.

So I'd stay away from the HHB if you're in a rental and not already using an EZ Pass transponder.

If you're in a friend's car, the friend will probably get the bill and need to track you down.

Sounds logical. Too bad for the rental car customer who doesn't know about this ahead of time.

And for the toll charging entity on out of state cars who decide they just aren't going to mail New York a check and take their chances.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Other jurisdictions that have gone cashless usually have a threshold for billing. They won't bother sending a bill for 50 cents, so if you just use it once, you'll likely never be charged.

Some also allow you to pay online. For example, you enter the plate number and a date range; it shows the amount incurred; and then you can pay with your credit card. This is a good alternative when driving a rental car. Hopefully, they will implement this for the Henry Hudson at some point.

In the interim, yeah, avoid this if you're in a rental car, unless you paid for the ezpass option.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by themicah

That's how they do it in Israel on Highway 6 which is a toll road with no tollbooths. They charge the car on entry and exit to the highway. For rental cars who don't choose the toll highway option (which cost some money plus the tolls, which are billed to your credit card as the rental company gets the bill,) then you are charged NIS 50/calendar month that you use Highway 6, on top of the tolls. The NIS 50 is a processing fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.