Community
Wiki Posts
Search

July 4th Fireworks 2011 - Dissappointing Experience on NYC Side

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by fflier_9999
Realistically, this is why most folks who live in New York find someone's apartment or rooftop to see them from. I've lived here for 20 years, and I've never once wanted to go down to the river to watch them. No thank you.
Indeed. I live on the Upper West Side, an easy walk to the river yet took my cue to turn on the television to watch when I heard the fireworks starting from the comforts of my own couch.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by SylviaCaras
Are these the Macy's sponsored fireworks that I watch on television (in California)?
Yes. 6 barges worth.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Landing Gear

Cutting the cellular service from Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile would have required a spectacular effort and not gone unnoticed. Numerous cell towers, probably on both sides of the Hudson, would have to be shut down. Jamming cellular signals is illegal.

While Commissioner Kelly, I suppose, might wish for that power, he doesn't have it.
Looks like they have it in San Fran.

And based on the lack of professionalism I encountered from various NYPD officers July 4th, which is a direct reflection of what their management tolerates and encourages, NYC will have their first cell phone outage eventually.

Cats out of the bag.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:44 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
Not taking a position, but that's quite a different situation that you are citing, both technically and, I suspect, legally:
Contrary to some speculative reports, BART did not jam wireless signals or ask cell phone providers to shut down towers near stations. BART owns and controls the wireless network strung through its subways, and BART police ordered it switched off, after receiving permission from BART interim General Manager Sherwood Wakeman, former general counsel for the transit district.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bikeguy

And based on the lack of professionalism I encountered from various NYPD officers July 4th, which is a direct reflection of what their management tolerates and encourages, NYC will have their first cell phone outage eventually.

Cats out of the bag.
No, it's not. SF isn't NYC. But if you think so, hey, enjoy. ^ By and large, the NYPD is New York's finest especially when there are MOBS of people coming to NYC and, in particular, to Times Square or to watch fire works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.