Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Wisdom from gurus: 3:15 int. arrival in EWR/ 8pm dom. departure from JFK?

Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

This would be a Monday afternoon. I have a 3:15 scheduled international arrival into EWR on TAP followed by an 8pm JFK-LAX on UA. Figuring an hour for customs/ immigration, will I leave enough time to cross town and catch the JFK flight?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zrs70
This would be a Monday afternoon. I have a 3:15 scheduled international arrival into EWR on TAP followed by an 8pm JFK-LAX on UA. Figuring an hour for customs/ immigration, will I leave enough time to cross town and catch the JFK flight?
I'd think you'd be good - I've done EWR-LGA in as little as ~35-40 minutes, though JFK's a minimum 15 min beyond that. Figure 2 hours (though I only go up and over the GWB, not through the city - sure other experts can estimate that one).

JFK security will be pretty dead for an 8pm flight - be there by 7pm and you're good.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You'll probably make it without issue. I'd do mass transit unless you have too many bags. Yes, the trains will be a bit crowded but they'll be way more reliable schedule-wise than driving. That said, even if it takes you two hours to make the drive you'll still be on time unless you get back-roomed at immigration.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'd think you'd be good - I've done EWR-LGA in as little as ~35-40 minutes, though JFK's a minimum 15 min beyond that. Figure 2 hours (though I only go up and over the GWB, not through the city - sure other experts can estimate that one).

JFK security will be pretty dead for an 8pm flight - be there by 7pm and you're good.
British Airways shares the same terminal at JFK...
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:40 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
plenty of time: take Airtrain/NJT to Penn Station then LIRR to Jamaica/Airtrain. LIRR trains almost every 7 minutes, relatively quiet and smooth. Don't bother with the subway.

Last edited by TA; Aug 20, 2011 at 12:00 pm
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by United757
British Airways shares the same terminal at JFK...
They also feed a lot of their traffic into that random security line off to the side. JFK T7's the worst early in the AM when TSA and the Redcoats are still half asleep, then generally pretty quick the rest of the day. And the gates are a max 100 feet from the security line.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You should be fine. If you take public transportation it's about 1:45 or so between the two airports, which will give you plenty of time to clear.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by TA
plenty of time: take Airtrain/NJT to Penn Station then LIRR to Jamaica/Airtrain. LIRR trains almost every 7 minutes, relatively quiet and smooth. Don't bother with the subway.
I can't emphasize that last point enough. The A train is listed as going to JFK, but it will take you an hour and a half or something like that...I came very close to missing a flight to China and had some very nice locals attempting to keep me calm on the subway.

On a more general point, I would highly encourage taking public transit. I know it's a little bit of a hassle to use two different systems, but the route to JFK from Jersey requires a pretty good jog over surface streets in Manhattan and the potentials for bottlenecks are numerous. It's too bad they can't issue some sort of integrated ticket for just this situation.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 2:01 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Moving this to the New York City Forum.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum
Old Aug 20, 2011, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by astroflyer
Originally Posted by TA
I can't emphasize that last point enough. The A train is listed as going to JFK, but it will take you an hour and a half or something like that...I came very close to missing a flight to China and had some very nice locals attempting to keep me calm on the subway.

On a more general point, I would highly encourage taking public transit. I know it's a little bit of a hassle to use two different systems, but the route to JFK from Jersey requires a pretty good jog over surface streets in Manhattan and the potentials for bottlenecks are numerous. It's too bad they can't issue some sort of integrated ticket for just this situation.
Even if you wanted to take the subway to JFK from Penn Station, the "A" train would be the wrong one to take. From Penn Station, the Queens-bound "E" train is faster, and runs more frequently than the branch of the "A" train that serves the Howard Beach/JFK station.

But the LIRR will be faster still, and more comfortable (if a little pricey during rush hour).
Old Aug 22, 2011, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by zrs70
Yup. This is a virtual cake walk. You should be out of EWR by 4:15, leaving you a good 2 hours and 45 minutes to get to JFK. Even factoring in some rush hour traffic, you're good to go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.