Wiki Posts
Search

Best EWR hotel for sleep/park/fly???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million miler
Best EWR hotel for sleep/park/fly???

Please don't flame me. I know this is not likely the best place to post this, but I have to park at EWR for 4 nights. It's outta my normal driving range, so I'm in the dark on hotel+park+fly. Any suggestions? I have points in most hotel chains, just running out of time to search each one myself. Would really appreciate help on this.

Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:16 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The hotels at Newark are not places you want to leave your car. Ours was broken into during an overnight at one of them (supposedly guarded and patrolled). The police said there were dozens of cars broken into that night as the group of thieves just went lot to lot.

We don't stay there anymore, we usually priceline a 3 1/2 star at the Meadowlands (and get the Sheraton 95% of the time, the Raddison the other times), and use one of the off site parking lots when we are gone (airparkparking.com).
Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
IIRC the Fairfield has a locked/gated lot for the guests leaving their cars. We used it for a two week trip to Thailand several years ago. Had no problems.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ional-airport/
Old Jun 15, 2011, 8:39 pm

For the most part, I would 2nd what Cordelli said.

My suggestion:

Hilton EWR - has a valet parking service that is reasonable in price, and I've used them in the past for multi-night stay and my car was fine. They have a parking garage onsite.

The hotel is one of the more decent hotels in the EWR area.

Perhaps this would be helpful to you....my views on the other hotels:

Courtyard by Marriott (Route 1/9) - No
Courtyard by Marriott/Residence (Elizabeth) - Yes
Crowne Plaza Newark Airport - NO way
Fairfield Inn & Suites - Yes
Howard Johnson - No
Marriott Newark - Yes
Ramada Plaza Hotel - NO way
Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel - Yes
Sheraton Newark Airport - Yes
Spring Hill Suites - Yes
Wyndham - No
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million miler
Thanks, All! I opted for a Radisson (F+F rate) at Carteret, just off I-95. Will take Cordelli's suggestion for airparkparking.com. It's really nice to get good help like this. Hadn't planned to drive, but there's this thing about a passport gone awol and Philly's the only place I could get an appt for replacement in time... You've taken a load off a too-frantic mind!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:30 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If it matters to you some of the Newark lots will actually come to the airport with your car to pick you up. I think Air Park charges $20 on top of the parking to do that, but you get on your way so much quicker. I saw the notice last time we used them, but have not tried it yet.

There have been a few times that those extra fifteen minutes would have made it worth the money to not have to go to their lot to get the car.

Last edited by cordelli; Jun 16, 2011 at 8:44 am
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:31 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For any additional discussion, please follow as the thread moves to the Travel->NYC fourm, where all major New York area airports and surrounding facilities are discussed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:54 am
Suspended

Crowne Plaza NO Way, well I park several times a year with EZWay parking which is located on the grounds of the CP and in all the yrs I have , Ive never had 1 problem with doing so. If the NO Way refers to the staying at The Hotel thats something else

The problem with any P&F is that its based on 7 nights parking, so if not parking for the full 7 its usually cheaper to park elsewhere and simply book the cheapest Hotel ones comfortable with

Originally Posted by SkySide
For the most part, I would 2nd what Cordelli said.

My suggestion:

Hilton EWR - has a valet parking service that is reasonable in price, and I've used them in the past for multi-night stay and my car was fine. They have a parking garage onsite.

The hotel is one of the more decent hotels in the EWR area.

Perhaps this would be helpful to you....my views on the other hotels:

Courtyard by Marriott (Route 1/9) - No
Courtyard by Marriott/Residence (Elizabeth) - Yes
Crowne Plaza Newark Airport - NO way
Fairfield Inn & Suites - Yes
Howard Johnson - No
Marriott Newark - Yes
Ramada Plaza Hotel - NO way
Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel - Yes
Sheraton Newark Airport - Yes
Spring Hill Suites - Yes
Wyndham - No
Old Jun 18, 2011, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by craz
Crowne Plaza NO Way, well I park several times a year with EZWay parking which is located on the grounds of the CP and in all the yrs I have , Ive never had 1 problem with doing so. If the NO Way refers to the staying at The Hotel thats something else

The problem with any P&F is that its based on 7 nights parking, so if not parking for the full 7 its usually cheaper to park elsewhere and simply book the cheapest Hotel ones comfortable with

Yes, was referring just to the hotel itself.

The Crowne Plaza is just one of the properties in an all-out horror assault on EWR travelers. Renaissance, the FS Marriott, and to some degree, the Hilton are the few saviours.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
I frequently use the "Compound by Marriott", which is my term for the trio of CY/FF/SHS properties on Route 1. I see no reason to be fearful of the location. They have a private security guard service that patrols the area, plus the local PD cruises through on a regular basis. Furthermore, the area is basically inaccessible to pedestrians; any hoodlums would have to drive up to the hotel, get out of their vehicle, walk into the parking lot, tamper with cars, then return to their vehicle to leave.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jazzop
I frequently use the "Compound by Marriott", which is my term for the trio of CY/FF/SHS properties on Route 1. I see no reason to be fearful of the location. They have a private security guard service that patrols the area, plus the local PD cruises through on a regular basis. Furthermore, the area is basically inaccessible to pedestrians; any hoodlums would have to drive up to the hotel, get out of their vehicle, walk into the parking lot, tamper with cars, then return to their vehicle to leave.

Hoodlums are not stealing cars, except on Xbox - car theft is done by über-experienced criminals, especially at the airports.

I'm afraid the hotel security guard service cannot help against such theft. Next chance, look carefully at the security guard at the EWR hotels. They are not BRINKS-mentality, making sure even your gaze does not linger on them longer than they want. They are everyday people, making a few dollars while working on more promising careers.

The real security are the Air Marshals quietly guarding the skies, the special police protecting the airport, the PSD protecting VIPs coming in and out of EWR, etc. They are all the real defenders.

Btw, "Compound by Marriott" ... very accurate description!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Resuscitating this old thread to ask a similar question, with a twist: I would like to park my car at a hotel with shuttle service to EWR, but then stay a night at the end of the trip rather than the beginning. (I'm flying to HKG/SIN on CX--no problem getting to the airport for the late-night outbound, but the return arrives around 10 PM and I will definitely not want to drive back home to Delaware after 23 hours in a PE seat!)

Any suggestions? Will the hotels let me do this?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why don't you call the hotels and ask?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.