Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

The High Line expands - Phase 2 now open [Photos]

Old Jun 8, 11, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

The second phase of the High Line park - 23rd to 32nd-ish - has been "pending" opening for a few weeks now. I stop by on most days I'm in town and yesterday afternoon I was treated to the surprising good news that the new section had opened just that day!

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...se-2-now-open/

The new space is, unsurprisingly, awesome. It extends a similar aesthetic but adds some new features, including a grassy area that visitors can actually sit on and a raised section of the path that puts you above, rather than inside, the park.

There's also a new water feature between 14th and 15th streets, with kids young and old playing all day long.

Original thread on the high line here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...high-line.html.
Old Jun 8, 11, 5:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Nice, thanks for posting!
Old Jun 8, 11, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
I can't stand all the hype about the High Line especially when taxpayers in many parts of the city have little park land available. But if we're sharing links, here's how the Daily News covered this story with pictures from professional photojournalists Craig Warga and Jeanne Noonan along with Seth Wenig of the Associated Press:

New section of High Line has views, lawn and wildflowers
Old Jun 9, 11, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Landing Gear View Post
I can't stand all the hype about the High Line especially when taxpayers in many parts of the city have little park land available.
One of the interesting things about the High Line is that it is not funded solely by the city. It operates as a public/private partnership with donated funds making up a rather substantial part of the budget. Beyond that, is there really a need to say that just because there is no park in X that we cannot have one in Y? I'd think that any increase in park space is a net positive for the city.
Old Jun 9, 11, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Beyond that, is there really a need to say that just because there is no park in X that we cannot have one in Y?
I never said that. <personal exchange redacted by moderator> don't put words in my mouth!

I'd think that any increase in park space is a net positive for the city.
A typical Manhattan-centric response.

This is a "net positive for the city" the same way not cleaning the snow in Brooklyn and Queens in December, 2010 was a "net positive for the city."

Last edited by dstan; Jun 11, 11 at 3:54 pm Reason: redacted personal exchange
Old Jun 9, 11, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I never said that. <personal exchange redacted by moderator>" don't put words in my mouth!

I have to admit not "getting" the High Line either. Every time I go there I'm like, "meh." (That's if you can even get on the damn thing with all of the people swarming around).

Last edited by dstan; Jun 11, 11 at 3:55 pm
Old Jun 9, 11, 11:14 am
Original Poster

I never said that. <personal exchange redacted by moderator>" don't put words in my mouth!
Sorry...what did you actually mean when you said you were tired of the hype because other locations didn't have a park? That there should be no press about the ones that do exist? That others shouldn't grow? That a private/public partnership shouldn't be allowed to build a park?

So that I can avoid putting words in your mouth in the future please provide a more coherent explanation of the problems with this one.

This is a "net positive for the city" the same way not cleaning the snow in Brooklyn and Queens in December, 2010 was a "net positive for the city."

This is not a move to actively ignore or do a disservice to other boroughs. This isn't a zero-sum game.

<quote of deleted material and response thereto redacted by moderator>

Last edited by dstan; Jun 11, 11 at 3:57 pm Reason: redacted quote of and response to deleted material
Old Jun 10, 11, 8:39 pm

I just walked the new section today. It's a wonderful addition to the city.
Old Jun 10, 11, 10:13 pm

We haven't walked any of it yet but the reviews are interesting. What they share in common is the letdown one feels at the uptown end of the park...like it just ends and leaves you hanging.
Old Jun 10, 11, 10:27 pm

I can't stand all the hype about the High Line especially when taxpayers in many parts of the city have little park land available. But if we're sharing links, here's how the Daily News covered this story with pictures from professional photojournalists Craig Warga and Jeanne Noonan along with Seth Wenig of the Associated Press:

New section of High Line has views, lawn and wildflowers
One of the interesting things about the High Line is that it is not funded solely by the city. It operates as a public/private partnership with donated funds making up a rather substantial part of the budget. Beyond that, is there really a need to say that just because there is no park in X that we cannot have one in Y? I'd think that any increase in park space is a net positive for the city.
I never said that. I don't care if you are a moderator or a "posting legend;" don't put words in my mouth!

A typical Manhattan-centric response.

Sorry...what did you actually mean when you said you were tired of the hype because other locations didn't have a park? That there should be no press about the ones that do exist? That others shouldn't grow? That a private/public partnership shouldn't be allowed to build a park?

So that I can avoid putting words in your mouth in the future please provide a more coherent explanation of the problems with this one.
"Coherent?" Now this is funny! What I said was "I can't stand all the hype about the High Line especially when taxpayers in many parts of the city have little park land available." That should be pretty easy to understand.

<inappropriate personal exchange redacted by moderator>

Last edited by dstan; Jun 11, 11 at 3:45 pm Reason: redacted personal exchange
Old Jun 11, 11, 1:40 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I appreciate the original post in this thread. Hope to check out the extension in a couple of days, but it will probably have to wait until another time.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 12, 11 at 1:35 am
Old Jun 11, 11, 7:33 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I don't get the hype either, and I say this as a former resident of the area. Once upon a time, the neighborhood needed some open space, but that time has long since passed. If I could believe that private funds would support the park over the long term, I wouldn't really care, but I seriously doubt that they will. Nor do I believe that higher property values will provide enough added property taxes.
Old Jun 11, 11, 11:52 am

Maybe they can put in a ticket booth and enforce a $25 "suggested donation" to visit?
Old Jun 11, 11, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
The Catch-22 to that idea is that if visitors had to pay they'd see how little there is to it, so they'd never return.
Old Jun 11, 11, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
Maybe they can put in a ticket booth and enforce a $25 "suggested donation" to visit?

Search this Thread