Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 22, 16, 1:28 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kufat
Wiki Link
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

JFK / New York John F. Kennedy International Airport Interterminal Connections
(Consolidated thread)

JFK Airport Terminals Map

There is no reasonable way to travel between JFK terminals other than the AirTrain, which is landside (outside of security). The only airside inter-terminal service is the Delta shuttle bus between T2 (gate C60) and T4 (gates B18 and B54.)

The on-airport AirTrain is free, shows as a yellow line on maps and travels in a anti/counter-clockwise direction.

The clockwise Howard Beach and Jamaica Station trains arrive from outside the airport at Terminal 1 and depart the airport after stopping at Terminal 8. Whilst these trains are free while on-airport, they are not free if one goes past the airport.

See here for a map of the system and further information.

Link to PDF map and information about JFK AirTrain.

Link to online (moderately helpful) airport guide

There are two places to store your luggage at JFK Airport New York.
Terminal 4 at JFK (near the Arrivals area - call 718.751.2947 for information) offers a 24-hour luggage storage service in NY. Depending on the size of your bag, NYC luggage storage rates range between $4- $16 per day.
Terminal 1 at JFK also features a baggage storage service in NYC. (Call 718.751.2947 for information.) This service is also located near the Arrivals area, and is open from 7am- 11pm. NYC luggage storage rates at Terminal 1 also range between $4- $16 per day.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 28, 15, 4:03 pm

Hi all, first time posting here.. firstly I appreciate the time and effort everyone puts in to answer all questions .. no matter how easy or complicated... now ..We are coming in to Terminal 4 on the 6th of October at 2 pm on an international flight and connecting with Turkish Airlines at T1, both of us one piece of luggage each (checked).

I'm a bit worried as to the time frame we have after reading so many horror stories of passport control and a many long houred lines, most recently from a passenger yesterday. The Turkish airlines flight leaves at 5.50 pm.

Would I have sufficient time to work with providing there are no flight delays and the best way to get to terminal 1 if we are strapped for time?
Old Oct 1, 15, 4:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Post above released from spam queue with apologies for the delay.

/Moderator
Old Mar 23, 17, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi,
I have a question regarding connecting from separately booked international to domestic connection at JFK. We arrive at JFK on QR 701 at 1515 hrs in T8. We have to connect to a DL flight out of T4 at 1830 hrs. I am trying to find out if it is possible to re check our bags with DL after clearing immigration and customs in T8 itself or do we have to take them all the way to T4 using the AirTrain? This would be a challenge for us since it's a family of 4 with kids aged 5 and 2. Our previous experiences at ORD have been that there has been a counter to recheck bags just past customs.
Old Mar 23, 17, 6:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by avneeshj View Post
Hi,
I have a question regarding connecting from separately booked international to domestic connection at JFK. We arrive at JFK on QR 701 at 1515 hrs in T8. We have to connect to a DL flight out of T4 at 1830 hrs. I am trying to find out if it is possible to re check our bags with DL after clearing immigration and customs in T8 itself or do we have to take them all the way to T4 using the AirTrain? This would be a challenge for us since it's a family of 4 with kids aged 5 and 2. Our previous experiences at ORD have been that there has been a counter to recheck bags just past customs.
You are not "re-checking" bags. You are collecting bags at the termination of one trip then starting a second trip and checking bags for that one.

There are recheck desks at T8 but they do not have DL staff/counters and QR is unlikely to issue bag tags through to DL. That means you'll need to take the bags with you to T4. Grab a cart and load them up, ride the "All Terminals" train 3 stops and you're good to go.
Old Mar 23, 17, 7:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
You are not "re-checking" bags. You are collecting bags at the termination of one trip then starting a second trip and checking bags for that one.

There are recheck desks at T8 but they do not have DL staff/counters and QR is unlikely to issue bag tags through to DL. That means you'll need to take the bags with you to T4. Grab a cart and load them up, ride the "All Terminals" train 3 stops and you're good to go.

OP the main problem is everyone must go thru US customs at their 1st point of entry, for you T8 @ JFK. Had you had an AA flight and not DL there would be a drop off counter after leaving the secure arrivals area and having collected your bags(most likley you would have needed the cart/s anyway.

DL flys out of mainly T4 but also T2 as well, so make sure you know in advance from which T your DL flight is leaving in order to avoid alot of unnecessary moving your stuff around

Last edited by craz; Mar 23, 17 at 10:39 am Reason: missed that in fact there are 2 different tkts
Old Mar 23, 17, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by avneeshj View Post
Hi,
When you check in with QR, ask them if they are able to check your bags through to your final destination on DL. If they have an "interline" agreement with DL, they might be able to do this. You still will have to collect your bags at JFK, but then you might be able to drop them at the baggage recheck counter after you clear immigration and customs at JFK.

Originally Posted by craz View Post
As sbm12 put it AFAIK there is no rechecking bags to any carrier other then those that operate out of T8.
That is not what sbm12 said and is not accurate. Although I haven't done it, I'd be very surprised if you could not recheck bags to carriers that operate out of other terminals if they are already properly tagged. The problem here is that the OP is flying a separate carrier on a separate ticket, and the folks at the recheck counter likely will not be able to check the OP in for his DL flight and print luggage tags. But if, when the OP checks in for his QR flight, QR has the capability of "pulling" the DL reservation and tagging the bags all the way through to his final destination, then dropping them at the T8 baggage recheck counter might work.

[Edited to add: OP, if your're able to bring the bags with you over to DL, that will minimize the possibility of them getting lost in transit. Anytime you have to rely on the airlines to deliver your bags to another airline, especially in another terminal, it increases the odds of them getting lost. Which doesn't mean that you won't get them back, but it could be a big hassle if you're without your bags for a day or two. I personally would try to bring them over to the DL terminal if I could.]
Old Mar 23, 17, 10:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post

That is not what sbm12 said and is not accurate. Although I haven't done it, I'd be very surprised if you could not recheck bags to carriers that operate out of other terminals if they are already properly tagged. The problem here is that the OP is flying a separate carrier on a separate ticket, and the folks at the recheck counter likely will not be able to check the OP in for his DL flight and print luggage tags. But if, when the OP checks in for his QR flight, QR has the capability of "pulling" the DL reservation and tagging the bags all the way through to his final destination, then dropping them at the T8 baggage recheck counter might work.

[Edited to add: OP, if your're able to bring the bags with you over to DL, that will minimize the possibility of them getting lost in transit. Anytime you have to rely on the airlines to deliver your bags to another airline, especially in another terminal, it increases the odds of them getting lost. Which doesn't mean that you won't get them back, but it could be a big hassle if you're without your bags for a day or two. I personally would try to bring them over to the DL terminal if I could.]
My bad, I just reread the OPs post and you and sbm are correct, for some reason I missed where the OP said they were on different tkts

And agree even if there was a way to drop off and recheck the bags @ T8, its alot better taking them myself to T4 or T2 to make sure they get there and make my flight
Old Mar 24, 17, 1:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

I guess I should have framed my question better. Do the recheck desks after customs in T8 not process and handle any bags that are not already through checked?
Old May 5, 17, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Plat
I'm flying out of Terminal 1 (Philippine Airlines) next month, but would like to visit the Wingtips lounge (Priority Pass) in Terminal 4 beforehand. Do you know if TSA will allow me into terminal 4 with a PAL terminal 1 boarding pass? I know there's another Priority Pass lounge in Terminal 1 (Air France), but they have strange operating hours, so I'd prefer to visit the WingTips lounge instead.
Old May 5, 17, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by thadeusd3 View Post
I'm flying out of Terminal 1 (Philippine Airlines) next month, but would like to visit the Wingtips lounge (Priority Pass) in Terminal 4 beforehand. Do you know if TSA will allow me into terminal 4 with a PAL terminal 1 boarding pass? I know there's another Priority Pass lounge in Terminal 1 (Air France), but they have strange operating hours, so I'd prefer to visit the WingTips lounge instead.
Should be okay.
Old May 9, 17, 5:19 am

Programs: AA Plat
Should be okay.
Thank you!
Old Nov 1, 17, 7:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm looking for a sensible connection time at JFK... No tickets booked yet.

My outbound flights should allow plenty of time to transfer (on a Wednesday in January)--
--separate tickets
* Arrive 2:01pm on AA
* Depart 5:45pm on AY (Finnair)
--they are in the same terminal.

Inbound, this is what concerns me, again separate tickets, on a Tuesday in January:
* Arrive 3:55pm on AY (Finnair)
* Depart 5:25pm on AA (separate ticket)
--there is another nonstop on DL at 6:15pm (I'd use miles and fly F)
--I do have Global Entry for customs/immigration, as well as getting back through security
--I'd be in biz on the AY flight, so would be near the front. Of course there could be 10 other flights arriving at that time.
--If I miss that 5:25pm AA flight, there aren't any other good options for getting home that night.

What would you do for that inbound, gamble with the AA option, or go for Delta? Is that even enough time to make it for the Delta flgiht?
Old Nov 2, 17, 3:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
I'm looking for a sensible connection time at JFK... No tickets booked yet.
Well forget about my post above, I found something else that I think makes more sense:

* Arrive 2:20pm on BA (from LHR), Terminal 7
* Depart 5:00pm on AA (to ORD), Terminal 8

Would 2:40 be enough time to make that connection, on separate tickets?
I probably won't check bags, and do have Global Entry and Precheck.
Old Mar 11, 18, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
If taking AirTrain to make a public transportation connection, does it cost $5 irrespective of which station (Jamaica or Howard Beach)? Is that $5 on top of the $2.75 subway or $7.50 LIRR (to Penn Station)?
Old Mar 11, 18, 7:01 am

Yes & yes.

Search this Thread