FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1218962-jfk-inter-terminal-connections-consolidated.html)

Clucky Jun 3, 2014 6:35 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 22969763)
I've never transited IAD, so I don't know if they have a different set-up. But in general, when flying to the USA, you must claim your bags at the first port of entry (even if not leaving the airport and connecting to an international destination,) and then re-check

Thanks for confirming Joshwex90; you are most likely correct, it was a few years ago I went through IAD and I probably just remembered wrong. Maybe it was on my return journey?

joshwex90 Jun 3, 2014 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Clucky (Post 22969995)
Thanks for confirming Joshwex90; you are most likely correct, it was a few years ago I went through IAD and I probably just remembered wrong. Maybe it was on my return journey?

Much more likely. Domestic to international, you wouldn't need to claim your bags

Blumie Jun 3, 2014 8:36 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 22969763)
I've never transited IAD, so I don't know if they have a different set-up. But in general, when flying to the USA, you must claim your bags at the first port of entry (even if not leaving the airport and connecting to an international destination,) and then re-check

It is the same at every US airport: you must claim your luggage at the first port of entry into the US in order to clear customs (except in those airports in Ireland, Canada, Abu Dhabi, and the Caribbean where US immigration and customs is pre-cleared before you board your international flight).

mileshound Aug 14, 2014 7:19 am

I am going from the rental cars to terminal 8 around 9-10am on a weekday. Realistically, how much time would I save by getting off at terminal 1 and switching to the all terminal train? Even though I will be by myself with little luggage I am not sure it is worth it.

SJC AA Aug 14, 2014 8:32 am

Originally Posted by mileshound (Post 23362340)
I am going from the rental cars to terminal 8 around 9-10am on a weekday. Realistically, how much time would I save by getting off at terminal 1 and switching to the all terminal train? Even though I will be by myself with little luggage I am not sure it is worth it.

About 6-8 minutes. I do it every time (unless the inner loop is not running, which happens sometimes due to maintenance, usually in the morning or very late at night).

When you arrive at T1 you should be able to look across the platform and see on the digital screens "Airtrain arriving in 1 minute", etc. Those signs are accurate.

Blumie Aug 14, 2014 8:35 am

Originally Posted by SJC AA (Post 23362731)
About 6-8 minutes. I do it every time (unless the inner loop is not running, which happens sometimes due to maintenance, usually in the morning or very late at night).

When you arrive at T1 you should be able to look across the platform and see on the digital screens "Airtrain arriving in 1 minute", etc. Those signs are accurate.

Agree completely. And also agree that it's important to read the sign across the platform before you switch. If the inner track is not running, the sign will so indicate (or, as was the case last Friday, the sign on the inner track made it clear that it was not running to T8; they must have been running out-and-backs rather than loops due to track maintenance).

mileshound Aug 14, 2014 10:41 am

Thanks. I will do the switch. Do you just exit the train and walk 20 feet to the other side of the platform?

plon Aug 14, 2014 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by mileshound (Post 23363466)
Thanks. I will do the switch. Do you just exit the train and walk 20 feet to the other side of the platform?

Exactly. And if the AirTrain gods are feeling nice the trains will arrive at the same time :p

I do this every time I go to JFK, I think it's worth it. Unless I'm early and just stay on the Longer train to pass the TWA Flight Center for kicks...

sunnikrish2 Nov 15, 2014 4:17 am

Can anyone share thoughts on what to expect today (Nov 15 2014) with inter-terminal connections in JFK in the absence of AirTrain (out for maintenance the whole weekend).

I am arriving at 9pm in AA terminal 8 and connecting to Cathay in Terminal 7. Looks like it is impossible to walk from the map. Buses are provided but I expect the loop to take a long time.

Will taxis be available and willing to take me to terminal 7?

SJC AA Nov 15, 2014 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by sunnikrish2 (Post 23845173)
Can anyone share thoughts on what to expect today (Nov 15 2014) with inter-terminal connections in JFK in the absence of AirTrain (out for maintenance the whole weekend).

I am arriving at 9pm in AA terminal 8 and connecting to Cathay in Terminal 7. Looks like it is impossible to walk from the map. Buses are provided but I expect the loop to take a long time.

Will taxis be available and willing to take me to terminal 7?

You can't walk.

Last time they had this, you would have to take the bus to Federal Circle and back. I recommend a cab. They won't be happy to take you, but they will take you.

JDiver Apr 22, 2015 11:33 am

I've added a starter wiki for JFK interterminal services (including baggage storage).

It's a wiki, friends, so feel free to add useful information or correct misinformation.

joshwex90 Apr 23, 2015 1:55 pm

Looking at the map, what do the green, red, and yellow lines represent?

themicah Apr 23, 2015 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 24710454)
Looking at the map, what do the green, red, and yellow lines represent?

They represent the different AirTrain lines.

Yellow is the "inner loop" AirTrain that runs clockwise and only visits the terminals.

Red and Green are the "outer loop" AirTrains that run counter-clockwise around the terminals and then leave the airport to take you to Jamaica (red) or Howard Beach (green).

I'm pretty sure the colors only exist on the map, though. When you get to the train they are referred to by their destinations and NOT by colors.

joshwex90 Apr 24, 2015 1:13 am

If looking to connect within terminals, does it matter which line I get on?

Also, is $5 fee charged for Federal Circle or Lefferts Blvd?
What about Howard Beach if going to the long-term parking?

guv1976 Apr 24, 2015 1:30 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by joshwex90
If looking to connect within terminals, does it matter which line I get on?

Also, is $5 fee charged for Federal Circle or Lefferts Blvd?
What about Howard Beach if going to the long-term parking?

Yes, it matters. Depending on which terminal you're starting from and which you're going to, one route could take a lot longer than another.

The $5 fare is only collected when passing through the fare gates at the Jamaica and Howard Beach AirTrain terminals. Otherwise, there is no charge for riding AirTrain.