Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:45 am

Transit time T4 to T7 JFK (and other queries)

Hi all,

I'm an international (non US citizen, ESTA country) traveller. I'm arriving off an international flight into JFK Terminal 4, then transiting to a domestic flight out of JFK Terminal 7. The booking is connected (made on an airline's own site) but but the first leg is a codeshare.

I understand I have to clear customs at JFK (in Terminal 4, I assume) and then travel to Terminal 7 to pick up my connection. I have a few questions:

1. Is 2 hours sufficient (at around 4pm on a mid-weekday) to get through immigration and get to Terminal 7? I have stumped for priority access for the domestic leg, but I assume that won't help me get through T4 immigration any quicker.

2. Do I have to take my checked luggage all the way to Terminal 7, or do I recheck it after immigration at Terminal 4?

3. Can you take the inter-terminal AirTrain counter-clockwise (so it goes 4 - 5 [6] - 7)?

Thanks for any/all help.

Fi.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1) Maybe. Hopefully, but no guarantees. You are correct that the faster security line access doesn't get you through immigration & customs any faster.

2) Your choice. Especially with a short connection I'd take them with me to make sure the operating airline of the next flight has them.

3) Yes, there is a train which goes in that direction. Get on either the Howard Beach or Jamaica train; both will get you from T4 to T7 in 2 stops.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Rant about the Air Train

I just had the opportunity to take the Airtrain from the Hertz rental car dropoff to T7 at JFK. I am writing this not so much to rant, but to warn any future travelers about the delays and third world experience on this train.
First of all, I don’t remember the last time I flew from JFK, but I do go to Newark periodically and I am familiar with their train. I am not going to pick apart the cleanliness, or aesthetics, after all this is New York.
On Sunday, August 11, I returned my rental car to Hertz around 1240 pm and was scheduled for a 250 pm flight. I figured I was arriving earlier than necessary, but traffic was better than expected. The check in for the rental car was smooth and I was directed to go onto the airtrain, which was a short walk from the rental area.
I guess we were lucky that the escalators were working, however the sign said there is a train every 10 minutes when in fact there was a 13 minute wait for a train. Once it arrived, the train was completely filled and there were several people pushing to get onto the train. My wife and I squeezed in and managed to push our way further into the non air conditioned train. We then observed this scenario played over again for each stop, which seemingly took forever to allow people to get off and on. As our stop got closer, we moved close to the door for the stop at T7. Once the train did get to T7, of course there was a woman boarding wheeling 2 large suitcases, one with each hand plowing onto the train and not allowing anyone to get off. The conductor tried to close the doors and others were pushing and shoving around this woman to get off the train. Eventually we were able to push our way off the train although I had to kick at the doors twice to keep them from closing in on me.
Once off the train, it was a fairly sane walk to the terminal, but I looked at my watch and realized it took 35 minutes from car rental drop off to the terminal, which is unacceptable.
I do realize that JFK is an international airport and the US has no money to improve its infrastructure, but even compared to Newark this was an abomination. I write this to anyone reading to warn people to leave extra time to return a rental car and for those traveling with the elderly, disabled, or small children, to definitely consider taking a taxi from the car rental terminal to the air terminal.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 3:33 pm

YUL-JFK on AA and JFK-AMS on KLM (Terminal 8-Terminal4)

Hi all,
I am arriving at JFK at 8:50 pm on AA for a KLM flight to AMS at 10:55 pm, so those are two separate tickets. I was wondering if 2 hours are enough to transfer between Terminal 8 and Terminal 4 ?

I can try not checking any baggage and as much as I know I go through US customs in Canada.

Also I see that the AirTrain is going to be completely closed after 9pm on Oct 9th 2013 (http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisor....html?tabnum=7) and transfer will be by bus instead.

Can I make it ? or should I change my YUL-JFK flight? I am traveling economy and I don't have any card or status that gives me access to priority lanes.

Last edited by dstan; Sep 4, 2013 at 3:48 pm Reason: added terminal numbers to post title
Old Sep 3, 2013, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What is the check-in deadline for your KLM flight?

When traveling on separate tickets, it's often wise to build in a lot of extra time for the connection. If your first flight is delayed or cancelled and you miss the second flight, you might be forced to buy a very expensive walk-up fare for a subsequent flight (or cancel your trip entirely).

If there are delays with the bus transfer, you can always take a taxi from T8 to T4.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by efe83
Hi all,
I am arriving at JFK at 8:50 pm on AA for a KLM flight to AMS at 10:55 pm, so those are two separate tickets. I was wondering if 2 hours are enough to transfer between Terminal 8 and Terminal 4 ?

I can try not checking any baggage and as much as I know I go through US customs in Canada.

Also I see that the AirTrain is going to be completely closed after 9pm on Oct 9th 2013 (http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisor....html?tabnum=7) and transfer will be by bus instead.

Can I make it ? or should I change my YUL-JFK flight? I am traveling economy and I don't have any card or status that gives me access to priority lanes.
Two hours is enough time IF your YUL flight (which will be on an RJ) is on time and you check in ahead of time for AMS. However, given typical JFK delays I would want more than two hours between flights like this.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What is the check-in deadline for your KLM flight?

When traveling on separate tickets, it's often wise to build in a lot of extra time for the connection. If your first flight is delayed or cancelled and you miss the second flight, you might be forced to buy a very expensive walk-up fare for a subsequent flight (or cancel your trip entirely).

If there are delays with the bus transfer, you can always take a taxi from T8 to T4.
Hi Guv1976
If I go with my current itinerary I will check in online for my KLM flight and will not check any baggage.
However I guess you are right that even though 2 hours is feasible, it's very risky because those are separate tickets. I am still debating but I will probably change to an earlier flight with AA
Old May 27, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Marriott, HH, United, Delta, ANA
Hi there! The last time I was at JFK was about 10+ yrs ago! Due to certain circumstances I have to transit thru JFK next month. My itinerary is NRT-JFK-IAD. There's a 6 hr layover in JFK. Flying into T4 at 3pm but departing flight is at 9pm out of T2. It's an awful itinerary and I'm flying solo with kids. If I go thru immig and customs, claim bags, do I then head to T2 to recheck bags? Assume have to take all bags onto airtrain, yes? No easier way to get there? Btw, does anyone know if there are smart carts avail and do they allow onto air train? Thanks for any info provided.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by mkbkk1
Hi there! The last time I was at JFK was about 10+ yrs ago! Due to certain circumstances I have to transit thru JFK next month. My itinerary is NRT-JFK-IAD. There's a 6 hr layover in JFK. Flying into T4 at 3pm but departing flight is at 9pm out of T2. It's an awful itinerary and I'm flying solo with kids. If I go thru immig and customs, claim bags, do I then head to T2 to recheck bags? Assume have to take all bags onto airtrain, yes? No easier way to get there? Btw, does anyone know if there are smart carts avail and do they allow onto air train? Thanks for any info provided.
Assuming your bags are tagged all the way to your final destination (which they should be able to do for you at NRT), you should be able to recheck your bags at T4 right after you exit immigration and customs. If you need or want to take them to T2, you will be able to take a smartcart on the AirTrain with you.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkbkk1
BTW -- and it may be too late to change your ticket -- but have you considered other ways to get to your destination, such as driving, train or an earlier connection? That's a pretty brutal schedule.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: Marriott, HH, United, Delta, ANA
Originally Posted by Blumie
BTW -- and it may be too late to change your ticket -- but have you considered other ways to get to your destination, such as driving, train or an earlier connection? That's a pretty brutal schedule.
Hi! Thx for,the info. Yes-itinerary isn't the greatest. I have some travel limitations so...1) have to fly DL and 2) wanted e-comfort seats. All e-comfort seats out of NRT were completely full or single middle seats. Looked several days out. Only NRT-JFK. So I've decided to book itinerary but stay a night at JFK/Marriott Courtyard. Fly into IAD next day. Usually I would push through and get to our final destination ASAP but by the time we reach JFK we would've logged in 18+hrs so it'll be a good break. Estimating approx. 1.5 hrs between deplaning, customs/immig., baggage claim and getting to airport shuttle. I know it's more hassle probably to stay overnight and having to go thru airport security again the next day but oh well. I thought about driving, used to do the commute monthly so would be ok, but I'll probably be jet lagged and tired from flying solo with two active kids and don't want to risk falling asleep at the wheel. Also no earlier direct flights to IAD. Is it because ppl would take the train, at that time? Just wondering if anyone can offer thoughts about time it takes to deplane, etc. thx!

Last edited by mkbkk1; Jun 1, 2014 at 8:31 am
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: BA, United, Hilton, Avis
Hi All,

I am travelling on business and have some questions on connection times at JFK. Although I have flown to the US a lot over the years, surprisingly, it will be my first time through JFK.

I am flying into JFK at 13:55 EDT on BA into Terminal 7. I fly out at 16:55 EDT on Envoy Air As American Eagle For American Airlines Terminal 8. That gives me just 3 hours to get from terminal 7 to terminal 8. I will have checked baggage as well as carry on.

I have ready mixed messages regarding how much time I will need. Some say 2 hours, some say 6! Please could someone with experience kindly advise?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clucky
Hi All,

I am travelling on business and have some questions on connection times at JFK. Although I have flown to the US a lot over the years, surprisingly, it will be my first time through JFK.

I am flying into JFK at 13:55 EDT on BA into Terminal 7. I fly out at 16:55 EDT on Envoy Air As American Eagle For American Airlines Terminal 8. That gives me just 3 hours to get from terminal 7 to terminal 8. I will have checked baggage as well as carry on.

I have ready mixed messages regarding how much time I will need. Some say 2 hours, some say 6! Please could someone with experience kindly advise?
Three hours will be plenty. When you get off your flight, you'll have to clear immigration, then claim your checked luggage, and then clear customs. Immediately after you exit customs, you will be able to recheck your checked luggage in Terminal 7. (When you exit customs, turn right for the baggage recheck desk.) Then follow the signs for the AirTrain and, instead of taking the train that goes to all terminals, take a train going either to Jamaica Station or Howard Beach Station. Terminal 8 should be the next stop on the train.

(The "all terminals" train also will get you to Terminal 8, but it runs in the opposite direction, so Terminal 8 will be the last stop instead of the first. On occasion, the Jamaica and Howard Beach trains run in the wrong direction, too, so if you get on either and the first stop is Terminal 5 rather than Terminal 8, get off and switch to an "all terminals" train.)

In any event, if your inbound flight arrives on time, you should have plenty of time for the connection, even if you encounter long lines at immigration or reclearing security at Terminal 8.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: BA, United, Hilton, Avis
Originally Posted by Blumie
Three hours will be plenty. When you get off your flight, you'll have to clear immigration, then claim your checked luggage, and then clear customs. Immediately after you exit customs, you will be able to recheck your checked luggage in Terminal 7. (When you exit customs, turn right for the baggage recheck desk.) Then follow the signs for the AirTrain and, instead of taking the train that goes to all terminals, take a train going either to Jamaica Station or Howard Beach Station. Terminal 8 should be the next stop on the train.

(The "all terminals" train also will get you to Terminal 8, but it runs in the opposite direction, so Terminal 8 will be the last stop instead of the first. On occasion, the Jamaica and Howard Beach trains run in the wrong direction, too, so if you get on either and the first stop is Terminal 5 rather than Terminal 8, get off and switch to an "all terminals" train.)

In any event, if your inbound flight arrives on time, you should have plenty of time for the connection, even if you encounter long lines at immigration or reclearing security at Terminal 8.
Thanks Blumie; that's extremely helpful! I'm going to print your post to take with me. Would my checked baggage not automatically get transferred? It did when I flew into Washington Dulles and was connecting onto a flight to Indianapolis.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Clucky
Thanks Blumie; that's extremely helpful! I'm going to print your post to take with me. Would my checked baggage not automatically get transferred? It did when I flew into Washington Dulles and was connecting onto a flight to Indianapolis.
I've never transited IAD, so I don't know if they have a different set-up. But in general, when flying to the USA, you must claim your bags at the first port of entry (even if not leaving the airport and connecting to an international destination,) and then re-check

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.