Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 22, 16, 1:28 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kufat
Wiki Link
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

JFK / New York John F. Kennedy International Airport Interterminal Connections
(Consolidated thread)

JFK Airport Terminals Map

There is no reasonable way to travel between JFK terminals other than the AirTrain, which is landside (outside of security). The only airside inter-terminal service is the Delta shuttle bus between T2 (gate C60) and T4 (gates B18 and B54.)

The on-airport AirTrain is free, shows as a yellow line on maps and travels in a anti/counter-clockwise direction.

The clockwise Howard Beach and Jamaica Station trains arrive from outside the airport at Terminal 1 and depart the airport after stopping at Terminal 8. Whilst these trains are free while on-airport, they are not free if one goes past the airport.

See here for a map of the system and further information.

Link to PDF map and information about JFK AirTrain.

Link to online (moderately helpful) airport guide

There are two places to store your luggage at JFK Airport New York.
Terminal 4 at JFK (near the Arrivals area - call 718.751.2947 for information) offers a 24-hour luggage storage service in NY. Depending on the size of your bag, NYC luggage storage rates range between $4- $16 per day.
Terminal 1 at JFK also features a baggage storage service in NYC. (Call 718.751.2947 for information.) This service is also located near the Arrivals area, and is open from 7am- 11pm. NYC luggage storage rates at Terminal 1 also range between $4- $16 per day.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 13, 12, 6:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief View Post
Does Terminal 4 have any "fast-track" options for security? AMEX Plat or flying business?
Biz passengers have a priority line.
Old Nov 13, 12, 8:34 pm

excellent news! thanks.
Old May 24, 13, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
Switching Terminals at JFK (T4-T8) - how much time?

I apologize in advance if this isn't the correct forum. I can't seem to identify where exactly this question should go.

Next week, I'll be arriving at JFK at 0625 (on a Sunday AM) in Terminal 4 (Delta). My connecting flight departs at 0750 from Terminal 8 (American).

JFK is one of those airports I haven't transited before and normally, I wouldn't care. However, I'll have my wife and 6yo daughter with me and want to be clear on how to proceed.

1) I assume I have to take the air train. Is there more than one? Which one?
2) Will I have to clear security after departing terminal 4 (both domestic segments)
3) In general, will 1 hour and 25 minutes be enough time?

Thank you in advance!
Old May 24, 13, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA
Switching Terminals at JFK - how much time?

The sky train works and u can connect to t8 this way. Do u have checked bags? This will make the connection tight depending on if u are delayed with delta. Do u have status with american or pre check? This will also help on a kick re entry of security at t8?
Old May 24, 13, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler View Post

1) I assume I have to take the air train. Is there more than one? Which one?
2) Will I have to clear security after departing terminal 4 (both domestic segments)
3) In general, will 1 hour and 25 minutes be enough time?

Thank you in advance!
1. There is only one air train station in the terminal but there are multiple lines. You can take the first train that comes to the station to get from Terminal 4 to Terminal 8.

Here's a map: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airport-map.html

2. Yes

3. Should be fine.
Old May 24, 13, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by aa380 View Post
The sky train works and u can connect to t8 this way. Do u have checked bags? This will make the connection tight depending on if u are delayed with delta. Do u have status with american or pre check? This will also help on a kick re entry of security at t8?
My tickets are on the same itinerary so I believe my bags will still be interlined (I'm hoping so).

I am AS MVPG so I have Priority AAccess.

Hoping for a nice tail wind. Looking at the flight history (random red-eyes from SEA-JFK, they can either come in early or late and not much consistency)
Old May 24, 13, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
1. There is only one air train station in the terminal but there are multiple lines. You can take the first train that comes to the station to get from Terminal 4 to Terminal 8.

Here's a map: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airport-map.html

2. Yes

3. Should be fine.
Thank you! Very helpful. I just want to be prepared. I really care less when traveling solo but having family along really increases the stress level.
Old May 24, 13, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
You are going to need to hustle. The airtrain is often out of service or the elevators/escalators are out of service instead. If your bags are interlined, that's good bc lugging bags with family via the airtrain can be very stressful. You should be ok but just be prepared for a curveball...that's sort of JFK's thing.
Old May 24, 13, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
As stated above either direction train will suffice, considwring you are going from 4-8. 8-4 would be another story.

One train goes clockwise, the other counterclockwise. The clockwise train is only for inter-terminal transfers. It will run 4, 3, 2, 1, 8. The counterclockwise train will pick you up at 4, then work it's way to 8 in ascending order. After 8 it will go off property and after a while return to 1, 2......
Old May 24, 13, 9:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler View Post
I apologize in advance if this isn't the correct forum. I can't seem to identify where exactly this question should go.
No problem. As your query is not specific to one airline, but is specific to one airport, we'll move this to the appropriate Destination forum. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old May 25, 13, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Couple of things, double check that your status on AS translates into PA for screening. Im not sure it does because AS is not OW (it may count for boarding thoungh.) Second, screening lines can be a nightmare at T8 and the PA lane dumps into regular screening. So once you deplane from DL waste no time getting to T8.
Old May 25, 13, 8:03 am

Assuming no delays, you're arriving early on a Sunday morning. You should be fine.
Old May 25, 13, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by keloutwest View Post
You are going to need to hustle. The airtrain is often out of service or the elevators/escalators are out of service instead.
Occasionally, sure. Often, not so much.

Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
One train goes clockwise, the other counterclockwise. The clockwise train is only for inter-terminal transfers. It will run 4, 3, 2, 1, 8. The counterclockwise train will pick you up at 4, then work it's way to 8 in ascending order. After 8 it will go off property and after a while return to 1, 2......
The 2/3 station is one stop, not two. Similarly 5/6 is a single stop. From 4 to 8 it will be the 3rd stop on whichever train the OP gets on.
Old May 26, 13, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Occasionally, sure. Often, not so much.

The 2/3 station is one stop, not two. Similarly 5/6 is a single stop. From 4 to 8 it will be the 3rd stop on whichever train the OP gets on.
Thank you. And thanks to all. Incredibly helpful.

As for Priority Access, I've had it on all of my recent AA flights. I assumed it was due t MVPG with AS but it could be due to some corporate contract (I work for large corporation that seems to give me benefits at random).
Old Jun 14, 13, 11:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Now that this thread has had some time to percolate on it's own, we'll merge it into the main thread on JFK inter-terminal connections for future reference.

/Moderator

Search this Thread