Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 22, 16, 1:28 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kufat
Wiki Link
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

JFK / New York John F. Kennedy International Airport Interterminal Connections
(Consolidated thread)

JFK Airport Terminals Map

There is no reasonable way to travel between JFK terminals other than the AirTrain, which is landside (outside of security). The only airside inter-terminal service is the Delta shuttle bus between T2 (gate C60) and T4 (gates B18 and B54.)

The on-airport AirTrain is free, shows as a yellow line on maps and travels in a anti/counter-clockwise direction.

The clockwise Howard Beach and Jamaica Station trains arrive from outside the airport at Terminal 1 and depart the airport after stopping at Terminal 8. Whilst these trains are free while on-airport, they are not free if one goes past the airport.

See here for a map of the system and further information.

Link to PDF map and information about JFK AirTrain.

Link to online (moderately helpful) airport guide

There are two places to store your luggage at JFK Airport New York.
Terminal 4 at JFK (near the Arrivals area - call 718.751.2947 for information) offers a 24-hour luggage storage service in NY. Depending on the size of your bag, NYC luggage storage rates range between $4- $16 per day.
Terminal 1 at JFK also features a baggage storage service in NYC. (Call 718.751.2947 for information.) This service is also located near the Arrivals area, and is open from 7am- 11pm. NYC luggage storage rates at Terminal 1 also range between $4- $16 per day.
Print Wikipost

Old May 7, 12, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by floridastorm View Post
Can one walk, without too much effort, from Terminal 3 to Terminal 4 and thus avoid the security overkill and the waste of time? If so, is the walk inside or outside? Are there any Travelators to move you along? All of us, although older, are in good shape.
The only terminals connected inside security via a walkway are T2 & T3. There is a shuttle bus which can get you from T3 to T4. Otherwise you have to exit security.

As for why it was built that way, the airport was built as a collection of independent operations in their separate buildings. Getting the train retrofit into the space available was a challenge and the system as it exists isn't actually so horrible. It could be a lot worse.
Old May 7, 12, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
The only terminals connected inside security via a walkway are T2 & T3. There is a shuttle bus which can get you from T3 to T4. Otherwise you have to exit security.

As for why it was built that way, the airport was built as a collection of independent operations in their separate buildings. Getting the train retrofit into the space available was a challenge and the system as it exists isn't actually so horrible. It could be a lot worse.
If one did decide to walk I imagine you would exit the front of T3 and turn to the right heading toward T4. I'm quite sure there are some people who do wish to walk instead of riding. Are there sidewalks or does one have to walk in the street with traffic? Just trying to get different options. We'll probably take the Airtrain if we find out that walking does not look too advisable.
Old May 7, 12, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by floridastorm View Post
If one did decide to walk I imagine you would exit the front of T3 and turn to the right heading toward T4.
Pretty much, yeah.

There are sidewalks but it also means reclearing security while riding the shuttle bus would avoid that.
Old May 7, 12, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Pretty much, yeah.

There are sidewalks but it also means reclearing security while riding the shuttle bus would avoid that.
I would think under any circumstance you would want to avoid reclearing security. Security at either T3 or T4 can be horrific at times, T4 as there are many non US citizens that know nothing of the shoes off, belt off, lap top out etc, and of course speak little to no English (meaning they would not understand the orders being barked at them by TSA.)

Even at T8 (AA) I've seen long drawn incidents involving TSA and non English speaking flyers. One woman went crazy when the TSA agent tried to throw away her large jar of skin cream.
Old May 8, 12, 10:19 pm

Pretty much, yeah.

I asked Delta about the shuttle bus from T3 to T4. They in fact do have one that departs from T3 Gate 11 to T4 every 15 minutes. I told them I was arriving into T3 on Delta and Departing out of T4 on Singapore. They never really indicated if I also had to be departing on Delta out of T4 in order to ride the shuttle. I find that a lot of these airlines customer services are vague on some of these gray area issues.

Even though you are flying into T3 on Delta I am wondering if they allow you on the shuttle if you are not flying out of T4 on Delta?

Also, another issue with Delta. Four of us traveling with two bags each. I know that Delta will transfer our bags to Singapore Airlines. But, they couldn't really tell me whether they would charge us for the bags and told me to check at the ticket counter in Orlando Airport. I thought that domestic airlines don't charge for bags if they are going to be transferred to an international flight. More vagueness.

Why am I still flying with Delta, which I unfortunately have for years? How I wish they would allow the Asian airlines to do domestic runs in the US. A lot of this nonsense would end quickly and with most of the American airlines out of business in 6 months.
Old Jul 9, 12, 5:47 am

JFK airport T1-T8 transfer

Hi I have a query I am arriving at terminal 1 at JFK and need to get to terminal 8-42 to meet someone from aa who is also arriving. Can I do this? If yes how do I do it?

Thanks
Old Jul 9, 12, 6:56 am

Take the Airtrain to Terminal 8 and wait for your friend outside of security. You won't be able to go to the gate.
Old Jul 9, 12, 7:34 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Analise View Post
Take the Airtrain to Terminal 8 and wait for your friend outside of security. You won't be able to go to the gate.
As previous reply indicates free Air Tran is your answer. If you want to save time - take the ALL TERMINALS Air Train (on the inside track away from terminal) as it is only 1 stop in that direction but boarding the Howard Beach or Jamaica bound train will require you to wrap around the entire airport. You can't get lost either way but attempt to board All Terminals.
Old Jul 10, 12, 1:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by caygirl345 View Post
Hi I have a query I am arriving at terminal 1 at JFK and need to get to terminal 8-42 to meet someone from aa who is also arriving. Can I do this? If yes how do I do it?

Thanks

Welcome to FlyerTalk, caygirl345! Your thread has now been merged into the existing thread on JFK inter-terminal connections, which essentially covers this topic. You might check out our Sticky post at the top of the forum for additional resources. Please feel free to ask any additional questions you may have!

/Moderator
Old Oct 8, 12, 7:53 am

Terminal 1 to terminal 5

Hi everyone,
This is my first time into jfk, im flying into terminal 1 on lufthansa and arrive at 1250,
I have an option of booking a Jetblue flight from Terminal 5 onwards to Rochester at 1655.
Can anyone help me by letting me know if I have enough time to make it to the Jetblue terminal?
If yes, what is the best way to transfer from terminal 1 to terminal 5?
Bearing in mind I am not an American citizen.. Do i have enough time to clear emigration customs etc?
Thanks.
Old Oct 8, 12, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Traveller365 View Post
Hi everyone,
This is my first time into jfk, im flying into terminal 1 on lufthansa and arrive at 1250,
I have an option of booking a Jetblue flight from Terminal 5 onwards to Rochester at 1655.
Can anyone help me by letting me know if I have enough time to make it to the Jetblue terminal?
If yes, what is the best way to transfer from terminal 1 to terminal 5?
Bearing in mind I am not an American citizen.. Do i have enough time to clear emigration customs etc?
Thanks.
Yes, you will have plenty of time to make that connection. After you exit immigration and customs, follow the signs to the AirTrain. If the AirTrain is running normally, you can take any train the comes (the inter-terminal train, the Jamaica Station train, or the Howard Station train), any of which will get you to Terminal 5.
Old Nov 11, 12, 11:52 am

I have a flight in April that goes something like this YYZ-JFK-JNB ... as I clear US customs in YYZ and it is all ticketed together my bags should be checked straight to JNB, correct?

As I understand it, I will just need to change terminals (7 to 4) and re-clear security. Question is, is this doable with a 60 min land-to-takeoff time? Originally it was 75 min, but AC keeps monkeying with departure times and aircraft.

I realize this is all still up for change, but just having come back from a trip where a 3+ hour delay in LIS resulted in a $360 taxi fare at my end destination, I am suddenly a bit more skittish than usual!
Old Nov 11, 12, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
I have a flight in April that goes something like this YYZ-JFK-JNB ... as I clear US customs in YYZ and it is all ticketed together my bags should be checked straight to JNB, correct?

As I understand it, I will just need to change terminals (7 to 4) and re-clear security. Question is, is this doable with a 60 min land-to-takeoff time? Originally it was 75 min, but AC keeps monkeying with departure times and aircraft.

I realize this is all still up for change, but just having come back from a trip where a 3+ hour delay in LIS resulted in a $360 taxi fare at my end destination, I am suddenly a bit more skittish than usual!
Call AC and ask what the Minimum Connection Time is at JFK from AC to the second carrier. If it's more than one hour, AC will have to re-book you on an earlier departure from YYZ.
Old Nov 12, 12, 11:07 am

I'd be worried about a 60 minute connection for YYZ-JFK-JNB. That's a bit too tight for my comfort level. Especially because the reasonable reroute options are scarce at that point.
Old Nov 12, 12, 9:17 pm

Thanks for the input folks! I see that AC has monkeyed with the flight times AGAIN so now we're back to a 74 min connection.

Does Terminal 4 have any "fast-track" options for security? AMEX Plat or flying business?

Search this Thread