Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 3:50 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by ATLflyer55
Hi everyone! We are transferring through JFK for the first time and will be going from FCO -> CDG -> JFK on an Air France ticket to a separate JFK -> ATL Delta ticket. Even though these tickets were purchased separately Delta did link them on the back end so in theory we can check our bags all the way through. That said how much time should we give ourselves to transfer from T1 to T2 or T4? We are US citizens and have GE. Our shortest layover option is slightly over 3 hours, however we could book the next flight to ATL and give ourselves an additional 90 minutes. I've seen recommendations all over the map for how long you should give yourself at JFK, but I'm thinking 3 hours should be sufficient with GE. That said, worst case we visit a lounge if we opt for the longer layover. We have about 3 1/2 hours on the outbound flights which seems like it should be plenty even if we decide not to check our bags all the way through. Any advice is appreciated.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, ATLflyer55! I'm travel-rusty these days thanks to the pandemic, but you will still need to claim your bags at JFK, clear Customs, then recheck. So leave time for that. The standard AF-DL Minimum Connecting Time is 1h45, BUT there seems to be an exception in place since 2012 increasing that to 3h30. Sorry I can't provide direct experience on this.
ATLflyer55 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I have not done this transfer before but 3 hours really should be plenty of time unless your AF flight gets hit with a major delay.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by indo79
Quick question for those familiar with JFK. We are arriving into JFK on NH (10.14am) and connecting to B6 (1.44pm) on 1 ticket.

If I am not wrong, we will arrive in T7 and depart out of T5. Will T7 have baggage recheck after immigration and customs or do we need to take our bags to T5?

Thanks!
just did this recently and bags were tagged to BOS. Cleared customs and there is baggage recheck, took Airtrain to T5 to get boarding passes and that's it.

a datapoint for anyone else that has this type of itinerary
Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:55 am

Need some help with a interterminal transfer at JFK with checked bags.
I am flying IAD - JFK early morning on Delta and arriving at T4 (I believe) at 7:48 AM
I am catching the next flight from T8 going Qatar Airways JFK to Kathmandu at 10:30 AM.

So I have approximately 2-3 hours to get my checked bag, switch terminals and recheck and go through security. Would that be enough time?
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by spacemanvt
Need some help with a interterminal transfer at JFK with checked bags.
I am flying IAD - JFK early morning on Delta and arriving at T4 (I believe) at 7:48 AM
I am catching the next flight from T8 going Qatar Airways JFK to Kathmandu at 10:30 AM.

So I have approximately 2-3 hours to get my checked bag, switch terminals and recheck and go through security. Would that be enough time?
Should be okay, but that's kind of tight. You'll need 15-25 minutes to transfer terminals (it's a short ride on the AirTrain but there's a 5-ish minute walk from the station to T8 checkin). IAD-JFK I expect is on a regional jet and will arrive at the far end of T4, so you'll have to hustle, but if you're waiting for checked luggage at least it should be coming out by the time you get to baggage claim.

-J.
spacemanvt likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Should be okay, but that's kind of tight. You'll need 15-25 minutes to transfer terminals (it's a short ride on the AirTrain but there's a 5-ish minute walk from the station to T8 checkin). IAD-JFK I expect is on a regional jet and will arrive at the far end of T4, so you'll have to hustle, but if you're waiting for checked luggage at least it should be coming out by the time you get to baggage claim.

-J.
Thanks for that, i have never been to JFK so wasnt clear on how busy things would be. Would Clear or TSA Precheck help with getting through security at Terminal 8 in the international section?
Old Sep 1, 2022, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD

-J.
I disagree that that's tight; I think the OP will have plenty of time. The early morning flight from IAD should operate very close to on time, giving the OP 2-3 hours to get the bags and make the transfer, which should not take more than an hour all in. Clear will not help at all at T8; pre-check does, but even though it will speed things up it won't be necessary if you don't already have it.
spacemanvt likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 9:56 am

Wink

Originally Posted by Blumie
I disagree that that's tight; I think the OP will have plenty of time. The early morning flight from IAD should operate very close to on time, giving the OP 2-3 hours to get the bags and make the transfer, which should not take more than an hour all in. Clear will not help at all at T8; pre-check does, but even though it will speed things up it won't be necessary if you don't already have it.
Interesting! now i am more confused on what to do. lol
Old Sep 1, 2022, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting! now i am more confused on what to do. lol
Well, as Gw McLintock points out, you likely will have a long walk on arrival into T4, but your bags likely will be out by the time you get to baggage claim. Then you have, according to Gw McLintock, a 15-25 minute AirTrain ride from T4 to T-8. I just don't see the risk in any of that.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 10:14 am

Well, as Gw McLintock points out, you likely will have a long walk on arrival into T4, but your bags likely will be out by the time you get to baggage claim. Then you have, according to Gw McLintock, a 15-25 minute AirTrain ride from T4 to T-8. I just don't see the risk in any of that.
Fair enough, hopefully with no delays and no security issues it should be easy. Luckily I am on Qatar Business class so i can probably check my bag quickly.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Fair enough, hopefully with no delays and no security issues it should be easy. Luckily I am on Qatar Business class so i can probably check my bag quickly.
That will definitely help, and you should be fine. Like I mentioned it's a hike from the T8 AirTrain station to the check-in area, especially with checked luggage, but flying in J should make everything beyond that pretty quick.

FWIW good on you for booking J. I flew JFK-DOH-KTM on QR in Y a few years ago (on the A350-900 and the A320-200) and I couldn't sleep more than an hour on the A350.

-J.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 10:21 am

That will definitely help, and you should be fine. Like I mentioned it's a hike from the T8 AirTrain station to the check-in area, especially with checked luggage, but flying in J should make everything beyond that pretty quick.

FWIW good on you for booking J. I flew JFK-DOH-KTM on QR in Y a few years ago (on the A350-900 and the A320-200) and I couldn't sleep more than an hour on the A350.

-J.
I found a great award flight on AA for 70k miles, couldnt pass it up. Especially for such a long long flight. If you have any other recommendations in DOH (5 hour layover) or KTM please let me know and thanks!
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Just want to add that I would take the first AirTrain to arrive at T4 -- regardless of the train's direction. From T4 to T8, the travel time in either direction should be about the same.
ijgordon and spacemanvt like this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Just want to add that I would take the first AirTrain to arrive at T4 -- regardless of the train's direction. From T4 to T8, the travel time in either direction should be about the same.
Great point. The trains on one track will be “all terminals” trains, and on the other track will be going in the opposite direction to either Jamaica Station or Howard Beach Station, but all three will stop at Terminal 8.

I’ll just reiterate one last time that you’ll be fine. If your IAD flight is in time I think you have zero risk. In the unlikely event that flight is delayed, you’re risk then is only subject to the length of the delay.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 10:57 am

Looks like AirTrain station for T1/T2 is closed through November. If I'm transferring from T4 to T1. How long do you think that will take? From my understanding - I now need to exit T4... take the train to T8... go outside to a bus shuttle and take that to T1?

I have a 1h30m layover in JFK assuming no delays on my inbound flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.