Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

JFK Inter-Terminal Connections (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 22, 16, 1:28 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Kufat
Wiki Link
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

JFK / New York John F. Kennedy International Airport Interterminal Connections
(Consolidated thread)

JFK Airport Terminals Map

There is no reasonable way to travel between JFK terminals other than the AirTrain, which is landside (outside of security). The only airside inter-terminal service is the Delta shuttle bus between T2 (gate C60) and T4 (gates B18 and B54.)

The on-airport AirTrain is free, shows as a yellow line on maps and travels in a anti/counter-clockwise direction.

The clockwise Howard Beach and Jamaica Station trains arrive from outside the airport at Terminal 1 and depart the airport after stopping at Terminal 8. Whilst these trains are free while on-airport, they are not free if one goes past the airport.

See here for a map of the system and further information.

Link to PDF map and information about JFK AirTrain.

Link to online (moderately helpful) airport guide

There are two places to store your luggage at JFK Airport New York.
Terminal 4 at JFK (near the Arrivals area - call 718.751.2947 for information) offers a 24-hour luggage storage service in NY. Depending on the size of your bag, NYC luggage storage rates range between $4- $16 per day.
Terminal 1 at JFK also features a baggage storage service in NYC. (Call 718.751.2947 for information.) This service is also located near the Arrivals area, and is open from 7am- 11pm. NYC luggage storage rates at Terminal 1 also range between $4- $16 per day.
Print Wikipost

Old May 6, 22, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, AS MVP, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
Originally Posted by MisterBill View Post
Thanks. I hadn't even considered that he wouldn't actually be on United. That obviously makes it even worse. Funny thing is, on Nextdoor, some people said that he'd be fine. But people there (and on FB) tend not to read the entire post or know what they're talking about. Probably figured it was all on the same airline and ignoring the international flight issue.
Even if he was on United, he would arrive into T7 and still have to clear customs and switch terminals. While it might be slightly easier, I would never risk that.

He should also consider flying out of LGA since there will be more flights to Dallas (I'm assuming his final destination) than JFK. He will have to take a taxi or Uber/Lyft.

-J.
Old May 6, 22, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock View Post
Even if he was on United, he would arrive into T7 and still have to clear customs and switch terminals. While it might be slightly easier, I would never risk that..
Yeah, i just figured that if he flew into T7, at least he'd be one stop away by Air Train or bus, so if it was ever going to work, that would help. But i agree that the odds of it working out are very slim.
Old May 6, 22, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, AS MVP, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
Yeah, i just figured that if he flew into T7, at least he'd be one stop away by Air Train or bus, so if it was ever going to work, that would help. But i agree that the odds of it working out are very slim.
T1 is also one stop away on the inter-terminal loop route, but customs in either terminal can be unpredictable.

-J.
Old May 7, 22, 8:19 am

T1 is also one stop away on the inter-terminal loop route, but customs in either terminal can be unpredictable.

-J.
So, it turns out that he has 3.5 hours between flights, so hopefully he'll be able to make his connection. Still not guaranteed, but he's already ticketed, so not much they can do but hope things work out OK.
Old May 7, 22, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, it turns out that he has 3.5 hours between flights, so hopefully he'll be able to make his connection. Still not guaranteed, but he's already ticketed, so not much they can do but hope things work out OK.
That seems much more reasonable -- I would be comfortable with doing that.

-J.
Old May 8, 22, 3:25 pm

That seems much more reasonable -- I would be comfortable with doing that.

-J.
Yeah. And they're also looking into either shipping his luggage to Texas, or else having the mother bring it home with her a few days earlier (she's going to be in Switzerland) and then meet him with it at the airport when he flies back. That way, he would not have to wait to get his luggage before heading to customs.
Old May 8, 22, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Assuming he's a US citizen, and can at least use the Mobile Passport app (if not Global Entry), waiting for the checked bag will be the gating item, as opposed to clearing immigration. A US Citizen with no checked bag would make a 2 hour connection from T1 to T8 with minimal issue. The 3.5h connection adds enough time for a non-citizen and/or a checked bag and will still be pretty comfortable.
MisterBill likes this.
Old May 9, 22, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Assuming he's a US citizen, and can at least use the Mobile Passport app (if not Global Entry), waiting for the checked bag will be the gating item, as opposed to clearing immigration. A US Citizen with no checked bag would make a 2 hour connection from T1 to T8 with minimal issue. The 3.5h connection adds enough time for a non-citizen and/or a checked bag and will still be pretty comfortable.
He is a citizen but doesn't have Global Entry. Supposedly had two appointments that he skipped due to school conflicts.
Old May 9, 22, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
In theory he has 3 1/2 hours between flights based on arrival and departure but in practice it's going to be closer to 2 1/2 because of the AA check in / bag drop deadline and even less because you don't want to rock up that close to the deadline.
Old May 9, 22, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He is a citizen but doesn't have Global Entry. Supposedly had two appointments that he skipped due to school conflicts.
Too bad he's not flying into T4... he could have tried to get a walk-in appointment.

-J.
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Quick question for those familiar with JFK. We are arriving into JFK on NH (10.14am) and connecting to B6 (1.44pm) on 1 ticket.

If I am not wrong, we will arrive in T7 and depart out of T5. Will T7 have baggage recheck after immigration and customs or do we need to take our bags to T5?

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 22, 11:14 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac King of Coffee, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by indo79 View Post
Quick question for those familiar with JFK. We are arriving into JFK on NH (10.14am) and connecting to B6 (1.44pm) on 1 ticket.

If I am not wrong, we will arrive in T7 and depart out of T5. Will T7 have baggage recheck after immigration and customs or do we need to take our bags to T5?

Thanks!
If you get tagged by NH to your B6 flight then yes (not likely). I highly doubt B6 has staffing at T7 arrivals, so I'm 99% sure you'll lug the bags to T5.
indo79 and ijgordon like this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8 View Post
If you get tagged by NH to your B6 flight then yes (not likely). I highly doubt B6 has staffing at T7 arrivals, so I'm 99% sure you'll lug the bags to T5.
Thank you!

Search this Thread