Wiki Posts
Search

Creativity needed - bag storage near Coney Island

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Creativity needed - bag storage near Coney Island

Perhaps one of the creative folks around here can solve an unusual dilemma:

I want to visit Coney Island, NY with my son next Sunday. As an ex-NYer, I've been there dozens of times, but never with this complication: we're checking out of our Manhattan hotel that morning and going straight to JFK after Coney. We'll be traveling by subway. Therefore, we need to leave our 2 carry-on bags someplace safe for a few hours Sunday afternoon.

Most major amusement parks have lockers, but Coney Island, lacking a main gate or even central management, doesn't. Luna Park, the largest ride operator, doesn't have any place to store bags. (I've asked them twice and they've tried to think of something.) The nearby aquarium doesn't either. There are no hotels within several miles of Coney. The nice folks on coneyisland.com have no ideas.

I am tempted to just walk up to nearby store owners and offer a $20 tip to anyone who will take this on. But that would be awkward and maybe insecure since most of these are small businesses with lots of foot traffic. I even called Home Depot, probably the largest store nearby, but they have no ideas either.

We could carry our bags around with us, but while there's usually a safe place to leave belongings while on a ride, a suitcase cries out "steal me!".

I could rent a car for the day just to store our bags in the trunk (not perfectly safe, but I'm OK with it), but that would cost a lot more than riding the subway.

I can't believe our best option is to backtrack all the way into Manhattan just to pick up our bags at our hotel. Does anyone have a better idea? Thanks in advance!
Old May 2, 2011, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Oh, it's occurred to me that, with Osama bin Laden in the news, this is a bad time to be trying to store suitcases in New York. Darn. I'm happy to let anyone inspect our bags, but I realize people may be extra-conscious of security issues right now.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:40 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the NYC Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 2, 2011, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by seattlebruce
Perhaps one of the creative folks around here can solve an unusual dilemma:

I want to visit Coney Island, NY with my son next Sunday. As an ex-NYer, I've been there dozens of times, but never with this complication: we're checking out of our Manhattan hotel that morning and going straight to JFK after Coney. We'll be traveling by subway. Therefore, we need to leave our 2 carry-on bags someplace safe for a few hours Sunday afternoon.

Most major amusement parks have lockers, but Coney Island, lacking a main gate or even central management, doesn't. Luna Park, the largest ride operator, doesn't have any place to store bags. (I've asked them twice and they've tried to think of something.) The nearby aquarium doesn't either. There are no hotels within several miles of Coney. The nice folks on coneyisland.com have no ideas.

I am tempted to just walk up to nearby store owners and offer a $20 tip to anyone who will take this on. But that would be awkward and maybe insecure since most of these are small businesses with lots of foot traffic. I even called Home Depot, probably the largest store nearby, but they have no ideas either.

We could carry our bags around with us, but while there's usually a safe place to leave belongings while on a ride, a suitcase cries out "steal me!".

I could rent a car for the day just to store our bags in the trunk (not perfectly safe, but I'm OK with it), but that would cost a lot more than riding the subway.

I can't believe our best option is to backtrack all the way into Manhattan just to pick up our bags at our hotel. Does anyone have a better idea? Thanks in advance!
What subway route were you planning to take to get from Coney Island to JFK? If your hotel is in lower Manhattan, you would not be going very far out of your way to go back to your hotel to claim your bags.

As an alternative, can you stay at a hotel in Brooklyn?
Old May 2, 2011, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

(Duplicate post.)

Last edited by guv1976; May 2, 2011 at 3:42 pm
Old May 3, 2011, 12:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Any chance of picking up a cheap car rental in Manhattan that day and dropping it at JFK that evening? You'd be able to keep your bags in the trunk and maybe even save a little time.
Old May 8, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
OP, I'm really sorry I didn't think of this earlier since from your post it appears that today is your day at Coney Island.

It just occurred to me that a possible solution lies in renting a self storage unit for a day. A quick search tells me the following business is very close to your destination (one mile from the Cyclone):
Coney Island Storage
2829 West 21st Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11224-2301
347-272-1310
http://www.secureselfstorage.net/sel...f_storage/1168
Sorry I couldn't get this to you sooner. I just don't normally think of these sort of things since I live in a house in Brooklyn and have no need for them.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Coney Island.
Old May 8, 2011, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
OP, I'm really sorry I didn't think of this earlier since from your post it appears that today is your day at Coney Island.

It just occurred to me that a possible solution lies in renting a self storage unit for a day. A quick search tells me the following business is very close to your destination (one mile from the Cyclone):
Coney Island Storage
2829 West 21st Street,
Brooklyn, NY 11224-2301
347-272-1310
http://www.secureselfstorage.net/sel...f_storage/1168
Sorry I couldn't get this to you sooner. I just don't normally think of these sort of things since I live in a house in Brooklyn and have no need for them.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Coney Island.
Would they let you rent a storage unit for a day at a long term storage place? I'm curious how much they would charge.
Cheers
Howie
Old May 8, 2011, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Would they let you rent a storage unit for a day at a long term storage place? I'm curious how much they would charge.
Cheers
Howie
Don't know. I figured OP would pay the month's rent on the smallest unit and use it for one day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.