Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Sidewalkers Restaurant

Sidewalkers Restaurant

Old Mar 8, 11, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
Sidewalkers Restaurant

Does anyone remember Sidewalkers restaurant at 72nd and CPW? It was the BEST food I'd ever eaten. What kind of crab did they serve and any ideas where I can find similar food?

TIA
Old Mar 8, 11, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA CK 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Ate there many times, but I don't know what kind of crab they served.
I think City Crab on around 19th and 3rd might be similiar, but I'm not sure.
Old Jul 9, 11, 9:07 am

Baltimore Crabs

I was the manager there in the 90's. We had our crabs shipped in by teamsters in refrigerated trucks from Maryland. You must have eaten there when I was managing. I started buying #1 Jimmies only. These are males that are at least 6" from each point of their shells.
Old Jul 9, 11, 10:55 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by H.Chris Ganger View Post
I was the manager there in the 90's. We had our crabs shipped in by teamsters in refrigerated trucks from Maryland. You must have eaten there when I was managing. I started buying #1 Jimmies only. These are males that are at least 6" from each point of their shells.
Welcome to FT, Chris, and great first post!
Old Nov 6, 12, 12:23 am

My Dad owned the resteraunt in the 80s they used maryland blue crabs... only place to find crabs like it is in maryland or joes in miami
Old Jan 30, 17, 5:01 am

Hi my name is Andy Jimenez and i was an assistant manager at Sidewalkers Restaurant back in the late eighties early 90's. We used to bring in the Maryland Blue Crab from the Chesapeake Bay. John Lennon from the Beatles and is wife Yoko, would come all the time and loved the place, especially when they lived across the street. The coleslaw(with original recipe) and the sweet potato fries were a great compliment to the crabs. In addition Sidewalkers's also had its own crab spice original recipe. It was a fun place to work. I wander if Sambucas Italian Restaurant is still there? They were our neighbor. Managers there were a great help to me at the time when i was new manager. Great times.
Old Jan 30, 17, 6:01 am

Programs: AA CK 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Sambucca has been closed about 2-3 years now. The restaurant currently at this space is "The Ribbon." Serves hamburgers, prime rib dip sandwich, deviled eggs. Also known for its fried chicken.
Old Jan 30, 17, 8:36 am

Thank you for the information. Its kind of sad to hear Sambuccas is no longer there. I appreciate the response.
Old Jan 30, 17, 1:01 pm

Did they serve salmon?
Because something here seems fishy...
Old Jan 30, 17, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
bizarro to see my post from five years ago. I remember sambuca restaurant too though I never ate there, but the new place with prime rib dip, deviled eggs and fried chicken....my kind of place. I still have never had food as memorable as I had at Sidewalkers.
Old Jan 31, 17, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by FlagrantViola View Post
Did they serve salmon?
Because something here seems fishy...
Some people set up google alerts triggered by a certain word or phrase. I suspect that's going on here.
Old Jan 31, 17, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
Some people set up google alerts triggered by a certain word or phrase. I suspect that's going on here.

would be a strange alert that would pick up a last post from 2012!
Old Feb 1, 17, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
would be a strange alert that would pick up a last post from 2012!
They must really have loved the place!
Old Jun 9, 18, 4:30 pm

Did Bruce Willis Work At Sidewalkers?

I worked as an assistant manager at Sidewalkers Restaurant on 72nd street back in he 1990's.. There used to be rumor that Bruce Willis worked there as a bartender previous to me being there. Does anyone know if that is true? and also from those who either managed or ate there, do you know what celebrities may have visited that restaurant. Thanks

Last edited by dstan; Jun 11, 18 at 12:55 pm Reason: redacted personal information and link
Old May 22, 20, 7:03 am

Sidewalkers Restaurant

Originally Posted by closetasfan View Post
Does anyone remember Sidewalkers restaurant at 72nd and CPW? It was the BEST food I'd ever eaten. What kind of crab did they serve and any ideas where I can find similar food?

TIA
I remember it like it was yesterday a friend took me there with a large group of people and we had the most amazing Maryland softshell crab that they dumped in a pile literally on the center of the table. It was certainly one of the dishes they were most known for. I wished that I could recommend a similar place but Iím not familiar as I have not gone into the city very much lately to eat. itís ironic that you posted this because I just happened googl the restaurant up today to see if it was still around. iím a professional musician and have a friend that played keyboards with Partridge family star David Cassidy. heís a gentleman that lives in Chicago named Craig and he just happen to post a picture of some softshell crab that he had made it home and it sparked a memory. when I looked it up I found your remarks so thought I would reply at least with my memory of the place it was truly magnificent.
closetasfan likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: