Sidewalkers Restaurant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sidewalkers Restaurant

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2020, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by ajime105
Hi my name is Andy Jimenez and i was an assistant manager at Sidewalkers Restaurant back in the late eighties early 90's. We used to bring in the Maryland Blue Crab from the Chesapeake Bay. John Lennon from the Beatles and is wife Yoko, would come all the time and loved the place, especially when they lived across the street. The coleslaw(with original recipe) and the sweet potato fries were a great compliment to the crabs. In addition Sidewalkers's also had its own crab spice original recipe. It was a fun place to work. I wander if Sambucas Italian Restaurant is still there? They were our neighbor. Managers there were a great help to me at the time when i was new manager. Great times.
do you mean Yoko and her son?
John was assassinated in 1980.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 9:52 pm

I worked there as a bartender from '88-'90, and we always dealt with that Bruce Willis rumor. As far as I know it was false, but if true, he worked there for no more than a month, if that. Lauren Bacall and Roberta Flack came in fairly regularly, since they both lived across the street. Never saw Yoko, though...
Old Feb 9, 2023, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by dinodexton
I worked there as a bartender from '88-'90, and we always dealt with that Bruce Willis rumor. As far as I know it was false, but if true, he worked there for no more than a month, if that. Lauren Bacall and Roberta Flack came in fairly regularly, since they both lived across the street. Never saw Yoko, though...
I believe Bruce (“Bruno”) slung drinks at the old “Cafe Central” bar on Amsterdam Ave and appx 75th St in the mid 80s. Definitely wasn’t Sidewalkers.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 12:03 pm

Chris, like many others on this thread, I long for the days of the original Sidewalkers. Do you know if there is ANY restaurant within 50 miles of New York that currently does the “crabs on the table” thing? We have been searching in vain for many, many years, but all we can find are “crab boil” places :-(
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:36 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Amazingly, after 12 years, this thread is still somehow attracting first-time posters who worked at, managed, owned, or spotted dead singers at Sidewalkers. Amazing!
Old Aug 20, 2023, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
Amazingly, after 12 years, this thread is still somehow attracting first-time posters who worked at, managed, owned, or spotted dead singers at Sidewalkers. Amazing!
Not surprising, as it apparently was unique in NYC and has not been replicated since it closed! Which for a city of 14 million people with more restaurants than anywhere else in North America, is a pretty amazing statement!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.