Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Need Hotel suggestions, heart of action & access to baseball stadiums (≤$300, 5/2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Hotel suggestions, heart of action & access to baseball stadiums (≤$300, 5/2011)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aero-something

Hi all,

Would anyone be able to recommend a respectable hotel in NYC that would be simple enough to get to both baseball stadiums (via subway) yet be in the heart of the action while not at the games?

We're splitting the cost 3 ways, so price isn't really an issue but we just need a place to store our bags and sleep so we're not looking for a top notch hotel. I guess anything up to $300/night would be in our range but the cheaper the better obviously

Thank you and your replies will be much appreciated.

If you need dates, we'll be visiting NYC in mid-May, 2011 and will have our own car (but will be using taxis and public transportation while we are in NYC)

Thanks again
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
What are the general ages of the people in your group? Other than baseball, what interests does the group have? When you say, "in the heart of the action", what "action" comes to your mind? I'm sure folks can offer lots of suggestions, but knowing more about the target audience will get you much better ideas. Is the group interested in the "touristy" side of NY? Drinking & dining? Broadway?

For starters, I'm going to guess that your group wants to be in midtown so you'll have solid access to public transportation to the stadiums. You can either use the subway or Metro North to get to Yankee Stadium, and the subway or LIRR to get to Citi Field. While I advocate the subway for either stadium, if you take Metro North, you'll depart from Grand Central Terminal, and if you take LIRR, you'll depart from Penn Station.

Last edited by dchristiva; Jan 7, 2011 at 12:24 pm
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Given your post in the Boston forum is it safe to say you're doing a baseball tour?

I would stay in the Lower East Side/SoHo/Midtown and take the subway to Citi Field and Yankees Stadium.

Alternately, "On the Ave" on the Upper West Side usually has very (for the area) reasonable rates and it's a decent hotel. Get a renovated room.

Last edited by magiciansampras; Jan 7, 2011 at 12:10 pm
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the follow up.

Ages: 1 in mid-50's, 2 in early 30's.

"heart of the action" Sorry, not too familiar with NYC, but I meant it as not being interested in the other boroughs. I'm pretty much talking about anywhere in Manhattan.

Activities: General sightseeing by foot in most of the popular neighbourhoods and areas, (little Italy, Chinatown, Soho etc), Times Square, Central Park, Empire State Bldg. Don't mind having to take cab/train to get to these places either. But we're not looking into the uber touristy stuff like boat tours, bus tours, walking tours etc… We're not the kind of tourists that will have a camera around our necks the whole time, we prefer to blend in as much as possible

Dinning/Drinks: decent dinning (no chains but no chic expensive places either) and maybe a good sit down bar/pub later in the evening/early morning. Wouldn't mind hitting a comedy club or a small live music place (music of any kind)

Broadway: Nah, unless you can recommend something for 3 straight guys that doesn't conflict with an evening game start time.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Given your post in the Boston forum is it safe to say you're doing a baseball tour?
Guilty!

Wanted to do the entire northeast tour, but the home schedules didn't quite match up and I'm sure the wife would miss me if I left for a few weeks

Thanks for the suggestions though...that's 2 for midtown so far
Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by Spex

"heart of the action" Sorry, not too familiar with NYC, but I meant it as not being interested in the other boroughs. I'm pretty much talking about anywhere in Manhattan.
I guess that cuts out Yankee Stadium and Citi Field.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
There's a courtyard by Marriott in the high west 30s that's cheap, close to the action, and an easy walk to the 7 train to citi field and the D train to Yankee stadium.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by Spex
Hi all,

Would anyone be able to recommend a respectable hotel in NYC that would be simple enough to get to both baseball stadiums (via subway) yet be in the heart of the action while not at the games?

We're splitting the cost 3 ways, so price isn't really an issue but we just need a place to store our bags and sleep so we're not looking for a top notch hotel. I guess anything up to $300/night would be in our range but the cheaper the better obviously

Thank you and your replies will be much appreciated.

If you need dates, we'll be visiting NYC in mid-May, 2011 and will have our own car (but will be using taxis and public transportation while we are in NYC)

Thanks again
Don't know about price but I think the Grand Hyatt on 42nd and 3rd would be slightly under $300 a night and you could take the 7 train to Citi Field and the 4 train to Yankee Stadium. Many visiting teams stay there and both subway lines are next door to the hotel.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you stay at the Grand Hyatt at Grand Central, you'll be essentially on top of the 4 to Yankee Stadium and the 7 to Citifield.

Love that you're doing the baseball tour. ^ When you're ready for ballpark food advice, go to the baseball threads in OMNI.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help guys. Won't be booking anything for a while, but it's great how helpful everyone is.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:41 am

If you can fit it into your schedule, the minor league stadium on Staten Island has great views of Manhattan.

They are a Yankees farm team, the Mets have a farm team based out at Coney Island.

Both are modern, well designed ball parks, smaller and more intimate than MLB size stadiums.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by PDPhoto
If you can fit it into your schedule, the minor league stadium on Staten Island has great views of Manhattan.

They are a Yankees farm team, the Mets have a farm team based out at Coney Island.

Both are modern, well designed ball parks, smaller and more intimate than MLB size stadiums.
Totally second that suggestion! The Staten Island ballpark is about a two-minute walk west of the ferry terminal, and New York Harbor lies just over the right field fence. A great baseball evening if you can swing it.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 5:20 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
If you are considering a NYC Hyatt, then you may be able to save some some $$ using prepaid certs

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...-certificates/

Otherwise, TravelZoo usually has a nice variety of decent NYC hotel deals.

Also consider signing up for Kimpton's In Touch program & subscribe to their emails. They have a few local properties and iirc, often have specials.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:36 am

Priceline something in midtown east. Most of the hotels in that zone (which includes the Grand Hyatt) are easily walkable to the 7 train for Citifield and 4 train for Yankee Stadium.

The only downside is you could end up with a room with just one bed.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for the suggestions guys. Also, I'm glad someone specified Midtown east. I keep seeing midtown split into east/west and this was going to be a future question

Too bad we're only in NYC for a little less than 48 hours or we would have definitely visited the minor league stadiums

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.