Wiki Posts
Search

Guide to the US Open at the US National Tennis Center

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm going next Monday during the round of 16 with a grounds pass as I'm in the city over the long weekend. Looking forward to it as I've never been to the Open before.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I'm going next Monday during the round of 16 with a grounds pass as I'm in the city over the long weekend. Looking forward to it as I've never been to the Open before.
Good for you! A few things to know about security:

1. You can only bring one bag and that bag CANNOT be a backpack. That also means if you carry a purse, that's the only bag you're allowed. So if you have a tote bag too, leave enough room for the purse to be put inside the tote bag.

2. During the quallies, it was only women working at the security tables who checked the bags. Aerosol sunscreen, for example, isn't allowed. I always brought it by putting the sunscreen in a box of tampons. Male security saw the box and avoided it like kryptonite. That won't work with the ladies. They go through EVERYTHING and obviously aren't grossed out by a box of tampons. I'll still bring the aerosol sunscreen when we go but I'll be taking a risk that someone will find it and remove it.

Originally Posted by themicah
I had to work but mrsmicah (who doesn't particularly like tennis) bravely took all three kids on Friday and they had a very good time.
Friday was great; we were there too. I'm glad your wife and kids had fun.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:37 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
We didn't go. We spent Friday afternoon in the galleries in Chelsea (almost bought something, too), then went back to the hotel and then walked to/from the game (Sheraton LGA to Citi Field). Roosevelt Avenue under the 7 train and over the Van Wyck after 11 at night felt "exciting", but there really wasn't any reason to be concerned.

Saturday we had lengthy brunch with friends and decided to just relax in Flushing and head to the game a bit early instead of figuring out the US Open practice deal.

Maybe next time!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:57 pm

Going to the Open tomorrow; it will be a scorcher.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Analise
1. You can only bring one bag and that bag CANNOT be a backpack. That also means if you carry a purse, that's the only bag you're allowed. So if you have a tote bag too, leave enough room for the purse to be put inside the tote bag.

2. During the quallies, it was only women working at the security tables who checked the bags. Aerosol sunscreen, for example, isn't allowed.
Can you bring a bag like this?

If aerosol sunscreen isn't allowed, is normal subscreen? I can't imagine they would say "NO SUNSCREEN!" when its that hot and sunny out.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:18 pm

For sunscreen, the prohibition is against aerosol. So if it is a tube of cream or a stick, you will be fine.

If the bag can be worn as a backpack, I don't know if they will let you. They send lots of people to bag check.

http://usta.usopen.org/US-Open/what_can_you_bring/
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:27 pm

Can you bring a bag like this?

Yes, this is fine. Completely irrational, isn't it.

If aerosol sunscreen isn't allowed, is normal subscreen? I can't imagine they would say "NO SUNSCREEN!" when its that hot and sunny out.
Men are back doing security and I took the chance that they would be there. I stuck my aerosol can into a box of tampons and that freaked them out. Nobody even checked. ^

Yes, tubes and lotions are allowed. A friend of mine wasn't so fortunate and had her sunscreen aerosol removed. But just like security checks in general, the whole song and dance was useless as they let her bring in a pair of hedge clippers that she had left in her tote bag by mistake. So much for COMPETENCY of security checks.

Last edited by Analise; Sep 3, 2015 at 11:11 am
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

...let her bring in a pair of hedge clippers that she had left in tote bag by mistake. So much for COMPETENCY of security checks.
Sounds like any kind of rent a cop/TSA operation. I volunteer with the Houston Rodeo every year and it's laughable the security operation the stadium runs. Reminds of when I was travelling with a colleague, as we were walking to the gate, said TSA took his 5 hour energy shots because they weren't in a 3-1-1 bag, but didn't notice an actual prohibited item in his bag.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:10 am

Sounds like any kind of rent a cop/TSA operation. I volunteer with the Houston Rodeo every year and it's laughable the security operation the stadium runs. Reminds of when I was travelling with a colleague, as we were walking to the gate, said TSA took his 5 hour energy shots because they weren't in a 3-1-1 bag, but didn't notice an actual prohibited item in his bag.
Yup....
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
How far is the bag storage facility from the entrance and what's the cost/hassle of checking a bag there? I'll need to bring a backpack for sure with me.

Can I bring binoculars inside? And how strict are they regarding food if there are medical and religious issues (diabetes, food allergies, and Kosher)?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by joshwex90
How far is the bag storage facility from the entrance and what's the cost/hassle of checking a bag there? I'll need to bring a backpack for sure with me.

Can I bring binoculars inside? And how strict are they regarding food if there are medical and religious issues (diabetes, food allergies, and Kosher)?
Friends of mine brought in dinner during the First/Second Rounds with no problems. They do have a Glatt Kosher stand that's pretty decent with the usually hot dogs and deli wraps.
Cheers
Howie
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Friends of mine brought in dinner during the First/Second Rounds with no problems. They do have a Glatt Kosher stand that's pretty decent with the usually hot dogs and deli wraps.
Cheers
Howie
Do you know if the food is on par with MSG and Citi Field (definitely eatable) or on par with Yankee Stadium (the worst of the worst), and while I presume the answer is of course, I'll ask anyways - are food prices roughly equivalent to NYC-area stadium prices?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
It's at the end of the boardwalk maybe a 3 minute walk from the front gates. It was $5 per bag last year I believe. You'll need to check your backpack at the storage area as they aren't allowed inside the Tennis Center. Tote bags are allowed, however. The hassle may be having to wait a few minutes for your bags if you leave after the last match at Arthur Ashe. That is when the masses leave.

Binoculars are fine. You can bring any food you like. We always do.

Do you know if the food is on par with MSG and Citi Field (definitely eatable) or on par with Yankee Stadium (the worst of the worst), and while I presume the answer is of course, I'll ask anyways - are food prices roughly equivalent to NYC-area stadium prices?
Better than MSG. The only thing I like at Citifield are the BBQ places and Shake Shack. Burger-wise, the US Open is awful unless you like all of your burgers well done. I haven't had their Texas Hill Country BBQ so I can't comment. Price wise, they are on par with Citifield and cheaper than Yankee Stadium.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's at the end of the boardwalk maybe a 3 minute walk from the front gates. It was $5 per bag last year I believe. You'll need to check your backpack at the storage area as they aren't allowed inside the Tennis Center. Tote bags are allowed, however. The hassle may be having to wait a few minutes for your bags if you leave after the last match at Arthur Ashe. That is when the masses leave.

Binoculars are fine. You can bring any food you like. We always do.

Better than MSG. The only thing I like at Citifield are the BBQ places and Shake Shack. Burger-wise, the US Open is awful unless you like all of your burgers well done. I haven't had their Texas Hill Country BBQ so I can't comment. Price wise, they are on par with Citifield and cheaper than Yankee Stadium.
I think Josh was refering to their Kosher food which I can't comment on as I've never tried it at the Open...
Cheers
Howie
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grounds Admission is free on Thursday weather permitting of course, and the forecast looks awful. http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/art...n_sept_10.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.