Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGA for 8 HRS, what to see/do and how to do it? - daytrip to NYC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2010, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
You can take a bus from LGA to Grand Central station. From there, it is less then a 10 minunte walk to Times Square. I would take one of the tour buses which you can catch there which goes all over the key sites. I would not bother with the metro bus and subway due to lack of time.
I couldn't disagree more about the advice regarding those tour buses.

The OP will get around much faster on the subway instead of waiting for a tour bus and either not getting on because it is full already or getting on only to be stuck in traffic and not moving.

Starting at Grand Central Terminal is good advice and if the OP wants to walk over to see Times Square, yup, it's an easy walk. Plus the OP will pass the New York Public library en route. One has to say hello to Patience and Fortitude.

Is this your first time in NYC? If so, you may want to see a view of the skyline (in case flying into LGA doesn't do it for you!). The Empire State Building always has a long line but you may do better going to the Top of the Rock at 50th and Rockefeller Plaza. It's also walking distance from GCT and Times Square. The fun of walking in the city should not be missed IMHO.

arollins, if you want to grab a quick and healthy lunch when you meet your friend at 42nd and 6th, you can walk 2 blocks to 40th and 6th and grab a salad at Pax. I eat at a Pax about 4 times per week as I love creating my own salads.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
we had a good time

and manage to do all. Public transportation was good. Arrive 10am to Times Square, meet our friend by 11am, subway to WTC, walk a bit, saw Lady Liberty from the distance, train back to Times Square, stop at 4th for some Gray Papaya, back to TS, walk around the area, Radio City, Rockefeller Plaza. Had some Juniors Cheesecake. Took subway to Central Park and then back to LGA with about 2 hrs to spare. Kicked back and relaxed at the AA AC.

Thanks New York and its people, it was a pleasure spending time with you.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 1:13 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by arollins
and manage to do all. Public transportation was good. Arrive 10am to Times Square, meet our friend by 11am, subway to WTC, walk a bit, saw Lady Liberty from the distance, train back to Times Square, stop at 4th for some Gray Papaya, back to TS, walk around the area, Radio City, Rockefeller Plaza. Had some Juniors Cheesecake. Took subway to Central Park and then back to LGA with about 2 hrs to spare. Kicked back and relaxed at the AA AC.

Thanks New York and its people, it was a pleasure spending time with you.
Glad you had a good time - thanks for reporting back! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.