Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK...terminal 8 to terminal 1

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 3:37 am
FJW

Will I have sufficient time to collect my luggage travel to Terminal 1

I want to Fly MIA to JFK AA 1510 Jan 15,2011 arriving Terminal 8 at 14:30 Hrs Will I have sufficient time to collect my luggage travel to Terminal 1 and check in with Lufthansa & Clear security for LH 401 to FRA departing at 16:25 Hrs?

Also would be possible to check my luggage through to my final LH destination in MIA with AA.

Thanks Frank
Old Dec 8, 2011, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by FJW
I want to Fly MIA to JFK AA 1510 Jan 15,2011 arriving Terminal 8 at 14:30 Hrs Will I have sufficient time to collect my luggage travel to Terminal 1 and check in with Lufthansa & Clear security for LH 401 to FRA departing at 16:25 Hrs?

Also would be possible to check my luggage through to my final LH destination in MIA with AA.

Thanks Frank
I don't think that AA has an interlining agreement with LH (but I'm not 100% certain). It could take 30 minutes to get your bags from AA. Also, can you OLCI with LH ahead of time as most airlines have a two hour cut off for International. With no checked bags and prior checkin with LH yes you could make it. Personally, I would not do it as JFK can be delayed prone and you have less than two hours to get off the AA flight, walk a long walk if your arrival gate is in the far concourse, collect bags, take the Airtrain all the way around to T1, and check in with LH (if not done prior) and reclear security. I'd take the earlier AA flight to JFK.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I don't think that AA has an interlining agreement with LH (but I'm not 100% certain).
I'd be surprised if they don't have the agreement. But that doesn't mean they have to interline the bags on split tickets.

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
... as most airlines have a two hour cut off for International.
This is not at all true. The vast majority of cases is a 60 minute cutoff.

I do agree that it is too tight on separate tickets and not through-checking bags.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:14 am

How is the transfer from JAL (T1) to domestic AA (T8) handled? By shuttle? If the tickets are not interlined, will the transfer agent at T1 arrival accept the luggage to be checked in to connecting domestic flight, or will I have to bring the luggage to T8 myself? Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
How is the transfer from JAL (T1) to domestic AA (T8) handled? By shuttle?
Nope. You're a regular US arriving passenger and then you should take the "All Terminals" AirTrain one stop to T8.

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
If the tickets are not interlined, will the transfer agent at T1 arrival accept the luggage to be checked in to connecting domestic flight, or will I have to bring the luggage to T8 myself? Thanks!
The latter.

And even if the bags are tagged through you have to claim them at T1 when clearing customs so I'd carry them to T8 myself rather than trust the airlines to make that hand-off seamlessly.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by sbm12
And even if the bags are tagged through you have to claim them at T1 when clearing customs so I'd carry them to T8 myself rather than trust the airlines to make that hand-off seamlessly.
Ordinarily I’d agree, and I’ve given the same advice, but then again I don’t know what the queues are like for the baggage drop at T8. There is something nice about just dropping them at the baggage recheck at T1 and making it the airlines’ responsibility to get them to you.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
then again I don’t know what the queues are like for the baggage drop at T8.
I've seen it at all times of day. I'd rather reduce risk of the bag missing the transfer than worry about a few minutes waiting in line.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
To the OP if you are still following this thread -- when making the transfer from terminal 8 to terminal 1: There is one airtrain platform that serves two airtrain tracks. On one side of the platform is a train that travels in a circle between all of the terminals at JFK. On the other side of the platform are trains that travel either to Jamaica station or Howard Beach station. You want the train that is labeled "All Terminals". DO NOT GET ON A TRAIN THAT IS LABELED HOWARD BEACH OR JAMAICA. The signage on the platform is clear and you should have no issues. They have been doing some construction on the airtrain at JFK and at times they are single tracking the trains. That means they all board from the same platform. Hopefully you're traveling.at times this isn't taking place. Otherwise just pay attention to the signs and DON'T GET ON A TRAIN THAT SAYS HOWARD BEACH OR JAMAICA.

To the poster from Connecticut that shares the airtrain "doesn't go into the city". JFK is IN NYC. The entire airtain system is contained inside NYC. I suspect what they were trying to share is the airtrain doesn't go into Manhattan. This is true. I'm starting to understand why my blood pressure rises every time I'm on the parkway and there's someone with Connecticut plates in front of me. Sorry if you're not a New Yorker and don't understand.

Please don't even consider the advice to ride the train or bus into Manhattan and then try to figure out how to schlep two kids out to JFK, presumably on the LIRR to an even more confusing transfer to the airtrain. Seriously, this guy is worried about getting from terminal 8 to terminal 1 at JFK and you're going to run him around two boroughs with luggage and his children? SMH

Your real concern is whether your DCA -> JFK leg arrives at JFK on time. I see you've changed to an earlier flight from DCA which should take care of that concern. It is a bit of a byzantine route from T8 to the airtrain, up and down escalators and a bit of walking. Just follow the signs and the herd and you'll be fine.

Oh, and BTW -- enjoy your time in NYC, almost all the locals are almost as friendly as I am.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Disarray
To the OP if you are still following this thread
Given that he created this thread eight years ago, I kind of doubt it.
ijgordon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.