Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

July 4th weekend in Maine

Old Jun 30, 2009, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

We will be driving to Maine from Boston on the morning of the 4th. Our Inn is in Camden, but we'd like to check out Southern Maine on the way. Will most places be closed on the 4th? Just wondering if it will be difficult to find places to eat (lobster, ice cream shops etc.) Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2009, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are you kidding? Any and all restaurants, lobster shacks, and the like will be open. Independence Day weekend represents the beginning of the big tourist season.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Ah, thanks! I wasn't sure because half our town shuts down on the 4th. We also are also friends with a few restaurant owners who always start their yearly vacation this weekend.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 1:45 pm

You'll have no problem. Where are you planning on stopping en route to Camden?
Old Jun 30, 2009, 1:46 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
We were thinking of going up to Maine this weekend as well.... just trying to figure out where to stay reasonably. Going to spend Saturday with friends on the lake in Raymond... thinking of hoteling in Portland.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

We are traveling with our 2 daughters. We planned to stop by LL Bean for some new backpacks. They have several activities going on that weekend. My 10 year old wanted to sign up for their indoor archery for kids. Someone recommended Slaine's for ice cream, Five Island's & Red's Eats for lobster. We also wanted to check out Portland. Open to suggestions since we haven't been up to Maine in 7 years.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Lemon-Lime
We are traveling with our 2 daughters. We planned to stop by LL Bean for some new backpacks. They have several activities going on that weekend. My 10 year old wanted to sign up for their indoor archery for kids. Someone recommended Slaine's for ice cream, Five Island's & Red's Eats for lobster. We also wanted to check out Portland. Open to suggestions since we haven't been up to Maine in 7 years.
Check LL Bean's schedule as I'm sure the sign-up for archery (as with their other activities) will be on a first-come, first-served basis. You may have to be there first thing in the morning; so you might want to check since you're leaving from BOS.

Reds is on Route 1 in Wiscasset heading up to Camden so it's on the way. Their lobster rolls, if I remember, are served warm with drawn butter instead of chilled with mayonaise. At least they were a few years ago. Five Islands is a BEAUTIFUL place to have lobster but it's a bit of a drive.

Here's a website with pictures of Reds and the lobster rolls: http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Over...spx?RefID=2959

Here's info and pictures about Five Islands: http://www.fiveislandslobster.com/web/photos.html

On your way up, I recommend seeing the Portland Head Light. This lighthouse is probably the most photographed lighthouse in the world and it's in a town park in Cape Elizabeth which is just south of Portland. The park opens at dawn. From there you can drive into Portland walk around the Old Port. Bring plenty of quarters for the meters. I think the best clam chowder is at Gilbert's Chowder House on Commercial Street in the Old Port. LL Bean is about a 20 minute drive from Portland.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 4:26 pm

Programs: All of the above
The Haraseeket Inn in Freeport(one block walking from LLBeans) has the Broad Arrow Tavern with absolutely the BEST Lobster stew. They used to have a special that included a cup of Lobster stew with a lobster roll and a pilsner of local beer. We love Reds Eats as well however the wait can be an hour long with the line crossing almost the entire bridge. They serve the rolls with drawn butter or mayonaise to mix on your own. Each has approx 1 1/2 lobster.

Yot did not mention where you are staying in Camden, but I recommend the Hartstone Inn . Wonderful B&B with outstanding restaurant. Try to have dinner there..I think they might take 1 or 2 reservations from people no staying there. Julia Child dined there.

Lastly, try Primo in Rockland. Chef Melissa Kelly has a teriffic self sustaining restaurant with a Mediterranean flair.She raises her own pigs and honeybees,as well as grows all her own vegetables.

Enjoy!!!!!
Old Jun 30, 2009, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all the wonderful info! Sounds like we'll have a great time. Hopefully the traffic won't be dreadful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.