Boston Pops July 4, 2009 Concert

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2009, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)

(I've searched this forum and cannot find any thread newer than four years old.)

Is it possible to buy tickets for the concert?

The Boston Pops website says of this event:

Buy Tickets

Free Event

July 4, 2009 8:30 PM

Boston Pops

July 4, 2009 8:30 PM
Esplanade
Boston, Massachusetts

This event is not a ticketed event or is not available for sale online at BSO.org. Please see details below for ticketing availability through a different provider.

Unfortunately, there does not seem to be anything else written on the page.

I'd like to see this concert but I don't want to have to arrive six hours in advance. Is this possible?
Old May 31, 2009, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Nope, it's a free deal. And 6 hours isn't really enough. People start lining up early in the morning of the 4th, some sleepover on the 3rd.

There is a small VIP section, but I don't know how you can get access to it.
Old May 31, 2009, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by magiciansampras

. . .There is a small VIP section. . .
Yes, that's what I had in mind.

From the videos I've seen, this is one fabulous event, but it would be tough to wait if you have to come up from New York City.
Old May 31, 2009, 6:12 pm

The Esplanade concerts have always been free.

When I lived in the Back Bay one summer some years ago, the concerts would take place each night for two weeks. For me and many others spending the summer in Boston, it was great way to (1)spend an evening on the ultra-cheap, (2)be introduced to classical music, and (3)meet people. I don't think that the July 4 concert was a big deal until the Bicentennial celebration.

Instead of 2 weeks, it's now 2 nights; instead of mostly classical music it's not mostly popular music; and instead of the Boston Pops it's Pops Esplanade Orchestra (which bears not too much resemblance to the Boston Pops, though no one really minds). If you want to see a free concert on the Esplanade, then you can go to the concert on July 3 with probably 1/100 the people who'll show up the following night. If you want to be part of the Event, then you'll need to show up on the Fourth.

It's true that you won't have much of a view of the stage unless you camp out all day. But you don't really need a good view to enjoy the fun. The music is piped to locations further down the Esplanade (though not to the Cambridge side), and you'll have a good view of the fireworks and the whole party atmosphere no matter where you are.
Old May 31, 2009, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts wideman.

It's just that when you look at the CBS production of the event (here's a YouTube clip of the Stars and Stripes Forever) you not only hear stereo sound but you get to see the individual instruments and the conductor. This is not going to happen if you are 99 rows back.

I guess it was too much to hope for.
Old May 31, 2009, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
Originally Posted by wideman
The Esplanade concerts have always been free.

It's true that you won't have much of a view of the stage unless you camp out all day. But you don't really need a good view to enjoy the fun. The music is piped to locations further down the Esplanade (though not to the Cambridge side), and you'll have a good view of the fireworks and the whole party atmosphere no matter where you are.
bolding mine...

I've sat on the Cambridge side of the river every year but one for the past nine years, and they DEFINITELY pipe the music over there. And it's always easier to find somewhere to see the fireworks on that side of the river.
Old May 31, 2009, 7:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I think you are trying to get into the oval, which is an area right in front of the stage. There is no need to be that close if you don't want to be, they pipe the music pretty much everywhere, and you can see the show from just about anyplace. But if you want to get up close and personal:

What is the "Oval"?
The Oval is the restricted lawn area located directly in front of the Hatch Shell.

How do you access the Oval?
Similar to any typical concert, admittance into the Oval area, directly in front of the Hatch Shell stage, is restricted to those wearing wristbands. The designated wristband for the July 3rd concert is obtained at the rear of the Oval at one of the three entry gates, which will open at 4PM. On July 4th a different wristband will be required and can be obtained at the same location starting at 9AM when the gates open. On July 3rd, when the Oval is completely filled no more wristbands will be distributed, this is usually around 7:30PM. On July 4th, again when the Oval is completely filled, no wristbands will be distributed. This is usually around mid-day. Wearing a wristband allows access in and out of the Oval the night of the 3rd and the entire day of the 4th. back to top
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by cordelli
I think you are trying to get into the oval, which is an area right in front of the stage. There is no need to be that close if you don't want to be, they pipe the music pretty much everywhere, and you can see the show from just about anyplace. But if you want to get up close and personal:

What is the "Oval"?
The Oval is the restricted lawn area located directly in front of the Hatch Shell.

How do you access the Oval?
Similar to any typical concert, admittance into the Oval area, directly in front of the Hatch Shell stage, is restricted to those wearing wristbands. The designated wristband for the July 3rd concert is obtained at the rear of the Oval at one of the three entry gates, which will open at 4PM. On July 4th a different wristband will be required and can be obtained at the same location starting at 9AM when the gates open. On July 3rd, when the Oval is completely filled no more wristbands will be distributed, this is usually around 7:30PM. On July 4th, again when the Oval is completely filled, no wristbands will be distributed. This is usually around mid-day. Wearing a wristband allows access in and out of the Oval the night of the 3rd and the entire day of the 4th. back to top
Here is the source of cordelli's info:

http://www.july4th.org/faqs.htm#5
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:45 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by cordelli
There is no need to be that close if you don't want to be, they pipe the music pretty much everywhere, and you can see the show from just about anyplace.
Case in point... I've seen the concert from three different venues and none of them disappointed:

Standing on Storrow Drive (which will obviously be closed)
Sitting across the river as longwaybackhome said
Sitting on the memorial bridge (music not as loud, but beautiful view of the fireworks)
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I generally watch from the Cambridge side of the river, somewhere between the Longfellow and Harvard bridges. (Despite its name, the Harvard Bridge is the one at MIT.) Always good. Easier to escape at the end than it is from the Boston side.

Another option is to see if any of the companies you or your employer deals with have offices on Memorial Drive. Most of them open up for employees and friends to enjoy the fireworks in relative comfort with real restroom facilities. I watched from a friend's office once - they put on a buffet, very civilized! The same might be true of other tall Boston-area buildings, but from most of them you'd miss both the sound and the view of the river.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by Efrem
Another option is to see if any of the companies you or your employer deals with have offices on Memorial Drive. Most of them open up for employees and friends to enjoy the fireworks in relative comfort with real restroom facilities. I watched from a friend's office once - they put on a buffet, very civilized! The same might be true of other tall Boston-area buildings, but from most of them you'd miss both the sound and the view of the river.
I did this once at an office party on the roof of a building on Newbury Street. You could actually hear quite well. The view was tremendous. ^
Old Jun 5, 2009, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I did this once at an office party on the roof of a building on Newbury Street. You could actually hear quite well. The view was tremendous. ^
Good point - I wasn't thinking about the shorter Back Bay buildings, but about the very tall, hermetically sealed and soundproof ones in the financial district and that general area. Even there, I suppose you could always turn on a radio.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Wasn't the longfellow bridge closed to pedestrians for the show last year? Something to do with being in severe disrepair and they didn't want all the weight on it. I can't believe they still let cars on it. The T has a major speed restriction when crossing it.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 5:42 pm

I echo an earlier suggestion to attend the "rehearsal" concert on the July 3. The program is practically identical to the concert on the 4th (they used to omit the 1812 Overture but a few years ago they started performing that but without the cannons, then during my last attendance in 2007 they had the cannons too!), crowds are much lighter (but don't get there too late as it nonetheless does tend to draw enough people to eventually fill up the Oval area), and you don't have to wait around all day - heck, the Oval doesn't even open until 4:00. Decent viewing spots tend to remain available during the first hour the gates are open.

I also don't know how to get into the VIP area "offically" - presumably that's for guests who are invited by the sponsors of the event - but if not enough people show up to fill the VIP seats, I've seen them open up the spots to the first bunch of folks who are able to come and grab them.

On the 4th I go and watch the fireworks from the bridge on Mass. Ave., which doesn't really start filling up until after 7:00 (or a few minutes before the show if it rains). The agenda is generally to enjoy Boston and Cambridge until mid-afternoon on both the 3rd and 4th, then grab an early dinner and head out to either the concert or the fireworks - all in all a very civilized time that, IMO, beats sitting around out there all day. Besides, if you're in the concert area on the 4th you won't see much of the fireworks - too many trees in the way.

www.july4th.org has much more information than the Boston Pops Web site. Apparently they've already announced that Neil Diamond will be the guest this year, which is unusual as they usually don't announce the guests until literally a couple of days before the event. And yes, it is a spectacular show and it doesn't do it justice to watch it on TV.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I just remembered - often the Museum of Science hosts a party.

Here's a link:
http://www.mos.org/designchallenges/..._events?d=1662

It looks like you have to be a member, and the deadline for ordering a meal is Thursday.

And my father booked a riverview room at the Cambridge Marriott, so if all else fails, we can watch the fireworks from inside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.