FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New England (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england-452/)
-   -   boston people the nicest people (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england/637843-boston-people-nicest-people.html)

haniboo Dec 19, 2006 8:48 pm

boston people the nicest people

we were just in boston for 3.5 days and i couldn't get over how nice, friendly and helpful.bostonians are! thank you all!

hani

rkt10 Dec 19, 2006 9:17 pm

Why, thank you haniboo. I think it's because the weather's been so great this fall that most of us are in a perpetual good mood. Usually by now it's chilly and nasty out.

Rita

slippahs Dec 19, 2006 9:45 pm

IME traveling through BOS, I must say that Boston people are usually not the friendliest of people in this country. I blame it on the Red Sox.

gj83 Dec 19, 2006 9:53 pm

Were you in Boston, MA? You must be mistaken for Boston, VA or Boston, IN. Either that or where was something in your water.

slippahs Dec 19, 2006 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by gj83 (Post 6875847)
Were you in Boston, MA? You must be mistaken for Boston, VA or Boston, IN. Either that or where was something in your water.

Generally speaking, I've found Boston, MASS people to be on the bitter side. I don't blame them, it gets rather cold there.

This is from my own experience, pulling almost 5 segments to BOS per year before 2004.

Perhaps there was something in my water. But you have to remember that I come from an Island state.

BiziBB Dec 19, 2006 10:00 pm

Have the BOS airline (UA) and TSA staff improved their moods too? :)

IceTrojan Dec 19, 2006 10:03 pm

Don't go to Canada then... your head might explode.

mikew99 Dec 20, 2006 12:27 am

Having lived in the Boston area for 8 long, cold years, I think haniboo is being sarcastic. Must be. That's it, right?

wideman Dec 20, 2006 5:51 am

Thank you haniboo, and feh! to evryone else.

IceTrojan Dec 20, 2006 5:52 am

Originally Posted by wideman (Post 6877053)
Thank you haniboo, and feh! to evryone else.

Where do you park your car again? :p

OB one Dec 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs (Post 6875819)
IME traveling through BOS, I must say that Boston people are usually not the friendliest of people in this country. I blame it on the Red Sox.

Everything is rosy during the MLB hot stove league when there is nothing but promise from all those new players recently signed. Every player is an all star. Come back in September and it may be different. :)

Lineman Dec 20, 2006 1:07 pm

I think Boston people are indeed friendly; just that some people don't understand our friendliness....

We don't say hello to random people on the street, there are just too many of us walking and that would take all day. If you stop ask us for directions, we will gladly help you.

In reality I don't think Boston drivers are bad, is that the Department of Public Works doesn't use very good paint and the lines always seem to disappear once the snow plows scrape them off. We pity visitors driving in Boston, and we understand that it may be difficult to navigate. If we see you running into some kind of problem we will gladly give you a little toot of the horn to set you on the correct path.

slippahs Dec 20, 2006 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Lineman (Post 6879559)
In reality I don't think Boston drivers are bad, is that the Department of Public Works doesn't use very good paint and the lines always seem to disappear once the snow plows scrape them off. We pity visitors driving in Boston, and we understand that it may be difficult to navigate. If we see you running into some kind of problem we will gladly give you a little toot of the horn to set you on the correct path.

Okay, if there's one thing that I'll give Bostonian drivers, it's stopping for people in the sidewalks. Sure, it's mandated by law, but it's still a nice gesture, especially for a tourist.

skAAtinsteph Dec 20, 2006 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs (Post 6875819)

Exactly! Aren't they called MASS-HOLES!

goalie Dec 20, 2006 2:33 pm

rather than quote everybody....

i grew up in boston (actually newton & then brookline) from 1970-1989 and i'm 3rd generation after goalie-mom and my (late) goalie-grandma both being born & bred in boston (n.b. i was not born in boston but moved there in '70 at the age of 11, hence my "growing-up" in boston).

my 2 "sense" on bostonians being polite is that they are not. simply put, most (not all, but most) bostonians are rude and self-centered and when people ask me what boston is like, i 'splain it this way....

beautiful scenery (beaches, moutnains & lakes) any day of the year (yes, even in winter and the last 2 weeks of august ;))
a history buff's paradise
a sports nut's nirvanna
one of the last bastions of bigotry in america (i grew up during the "bus crisis" which will always be a black eye for the city)
political & religious corruption run amok
worst drivers in the lower 48 where the the "state bird" is not always the black-capped chickadee

like i said, this is most but not all bostonians and my apologies for sounding harsh (and i'll take my 2 minutes in the box) but it's painful to honestly criticize the place you call home (even tho i live in sf, boston will always be home)