Search

Boston - During 25 Dec - 27 Dec

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2005, 5:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Boston - During 25 Dec - 27 Dec

2nd message on this forum!

I am planning a trip to the US and will be in Boston from the 25 Dec (10pm) and leaving on the 28 Dec (3pm)

Just wondering do things open on the 26 Dec (Harvard Square/Cambridge area/Back Bay/Downtown etc..) Also what are the shopping hours like during boxing day and when does thing return to normal?

And does the T operate on boxing day??

Thanks
Old Nov 19, 2005, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Although the week between Christmas and New Years generally is a low-key week thoughout the U.S., most things will be open, and the T will be running, on the 26th.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 5:53 am

Boxing Day is not a holiday in the US. Dec 26th is one of the big shopping days, with all stores open and many sales starting on that day. Back Bay and Downtown will be buzzing, though Harvard Sq will be a bit less so as students will be gone for the Christmas/New Year's break. Most offices and banks will be closed on the 26th, but that's because the 25th is a Sunday (so the employees' day off is on Monday).
Old Nov 20, 2005, 10:52 pm

Expect a lot of restaurants to be closed on the 25th, but that probably isn't a major concern if you're arriving late.

There is an Ansel Adams exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts (www.mfa.org) that is worth a visit (as is the rest of their collection if you haven't been). As others have said, the T (do any public transportation systems actually shut down for holidays) and most stores will be open while you're in town.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 5:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

WOW!! I didn't expect so many respond so quick.

Thankyou to u all for the suggestions.

Actually one of the main purpose to be in BOS is to shop so it sounds like that plan should be good. As for Harvard square, I am just going back for a short visit (as I used to study there for a short period in summer). Brings back fond memories!

Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2005, 6:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi All,

I just find out that there are some changes to my flights and I will be coming into BOS at 4pm on the 25 Dec and l will need to leave on the 27 Dec at 10:50am.

Unfortunately that means less time in BOS (boo!). Just wondering what activities would any of you recommend during the 25th since I still have 1/2 a day (although I recall the sun sets around 4pm, so not much daylight).

Also are there any places that actually offer a nice christmas dinner on that day? (actually it is pretty sad to travel solo on christmas day!)

Thanks again for your assistance.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Marsh
Hi All,

I just find out that there are some changes to my flights and I will be coming into BOS at 4pm on the 25 Dec and l will need to leave on the 27 Dec at 10:50am.

Unfortunately that means less time in BOS (boo!). Just wondering what activities would any of you recommend during the 25th since I still have 1/2 a day (although I recall the sun sets around 4pm, so not much daylight).

Also are there any places that actually offer a nice christmas dinner on that day? (actually it is pretty sad to travel solo on christmas day!)

Thanks again for your assistance.
Where are you staying?
Old Nov 21, 2005, 6:35 pm

There probably aren't too many. I believe that Henrietta's Table at the Charles Hotel in Harvard Square will be open. They may do something similar to what they have for Thanksgiving (there is a link to the Thanksgiving menu here: http://www.henriettastable.com/menus/).

I'm not sure what else is available, but I'd be interested in hearing as I will be entertaining more guests that I can fit in my apartment - ok, I just don't want to deal with cooking for my mother
Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks once again.

I am planning to stay aroung the Back Bay area (will priceline it) but are willing to take the T or taxi anywhere. Not sure whether East Coast Grill or even Legals will be open. Even Pho Pasterur at Harvard Sq will be nice.

If worst comes I will just have Room Service (how sad! on Christmas day)
Old Nov 22, 2005, 8:22 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
hotels you're best bet

You're best bet might be the major hotels in the area as they would need to serve their clients Xmas or not. The Oak Room might be open which would be a great place to eat. Or try Seasons at the Millenium hotel in Fanueil hall, great restaurant. :-:

As for the 26th, you will definitely be happy shopping the Copley mall. Have fun!
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks once again.

I am planning to stay aroung the Back Bay area (will priceline it) but are willing to take the T or taxi anywhere. Not sure whether East Coast Grill or even Legals will be open. Even Pho Pasterur at Harvard Sq will be nice.

If worst comes I will just have Room Service (how sad! on Christmas day)
No chance on East Coast Grill. Some Legal's will be open for Thanksgiving, but I suspect not for Christmas. I agree that the major hotels are the best option.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 9:33 am

Ruben's Delicatessen on in Brookline will be open. It's on Harvard St, about 2 blocks up from the T stop on Commonwealth Ave (Green Line - Boston College/Commonwealth -- ask the driver for Harvard St.). It's a kosher deli, excellent brisket and corned beef sandwiches and plates. Informal, family atmosphere, but you won't find Christmas decorations. There may be one or two other kosher restaurants on Harvard St between Comm Ave and Beacon St that will also be open.

A great many Chinese restaurants will be open, starting either at midday or mid-afternoon.

I'd be surprised if Legal's or East Coast are open; hotel restaurants (such as Henrietta's) are the best bet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.