Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Good Place for lunch on Rte. 89 between Concord, NH & White River Jct., VT?

Old Aug 26, 05, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Anyone know of any good place near highway 89 that's good for lunch? I've got to head up that way and will be passing through around lunchtime. Any suggestions? Not looking for fine dining, just something casual, but not a chain restaurant either. Some nice mom & pop place would be perfect. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to know. Thanks.
Old Aug 26, 05, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I've always liked 7 Barrel Brewery in W. Leb. It's right next to WRJ.
Old Aug 27, 05, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The 60 miles between Concord and WRJ are very quiet miles. You might find something in New London, because Colby-Sawyer College is located there, but I'd head for Hanover (clearly marked off I-89) and Lou's on Main Street.
Old Aug 28, 05, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip jra3. I took your advice and tried the 7 Barrel Brewery. It wasn't a complete home run, but it certainly fit the bill for what we were looking for. Here's my review of it, in case any of you decide to give it a try:

Ambience: I liked it; it had a rustic brew/pub feel to it with a friendly casual vibe, in an uncontrived way

Service: Very good, friendly, attentive

Beer: Excellent, we each tried a different variety, and each one of us thought our beer was delicious. I had the nut brown, it was smooth and full of flavor. I forget what everyone else had, but they all raved about their beer.

Food: The medium-rare burger I ordered appeared to me to be quite smaller than the 1/3 lb. listed on the menu. After reading the menu description of the burger, I had imagined it to be a superior hand-made pub-style burger. The medium-well burger they brought looked like your typical frozen pattie burger, not particularly big. I did not send it back. I only do that if the food is inedible. This was definitely edible, just not as good as I had expected, and more cooked than I would have prefered, but it was not bad. The sweet potato fries were excellent, as were the cajun-style buffalo wings we had.

My wife had the shepherd's pie. She said it was ok, but not great. My friend's order of bangers & mashed potatoes was very good. His wife's salad was good.

Items were reasonably priced. I'd recommend this place highly for beer and appetizers. For heartier food, it's not bad. Just don't order the burger if you expect an extraordinary burger. Otherwise, it's a good brew/pub. It is right off the highway too, which was very convenient. It's literally just to the left of the bottom of the exit ramp (exit 20) as you're heading north on Rte. 89. You can't see it from the bottom of the ramp, but if you turn left and drive about 100 yrds, you'll see it on the left side of the road. I'd go again, just might order something besides the burger next time.

Thanks again for the tip. Much appreciated.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: